Prep of The Day Thread

Good coffee, (and even bad coffee that is strong) will be GOLD, in the not-so-distant future...

I threw out a pound of StarFvcks coffee that someone gave my wife as a gift. That stuff is THE WORST. The most bitter, burnt, repulsive smelling, repulsive tasting coffee I've ever tasted.

I'd be afraid of being shot at for serving that shit to someone. why anyone would pay ^$4.00 a cup for it is insane.

Yep. Folks will be digging out their old triple-beam scales and weighing it out; and then licking dime-baggies shut for quick street sale,,,

View attachment 558607View attachment 558610
yep, coffee will be king right after precious metals, ammo and antibiotics. with coffee, you may be able to secure more of the other things if the shit drags on. lay in cheap instant coffee for bartering.

yep, coffee will be king right after precious metals, ammo and antibiotics. with coffee, you may be able to secure more of the other things if the shit drags on. lay in cheap instant coffee for bartering.
Being a diabetic... I'm adding Insulin and needles to your list... right Before antibiotics...

Best option for long term coffee storage is sealed Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Mylar is a metallic-looking material that is impervious to gases. When you put an oxygen absorber into a bag and then seal it, the coffee is protected from oxygen, humidity, and light. Instant coffee can last for 25+ years this way.

Too bad Dunkin doesn’t sell instant….

Starbucks does, though. I usually drink Dunkin but I don’t mind a dark roast once in a while.

Given its extreme shelf life, might be worth stocking up on some. In the zombie apocalypse there’s surely some folks who will trade ammo for fresh coffee.

Maybe one of your wives will trade me your guns for it when you aren’t looking ….

Last edited:
Pretty well thought out setup. You may want to consider having some water in sealed mylar pouches that are rated to withstand a range of temperatures. The kind that are stocked in lifeboats. I have personal experience with Datrex brand water pouches - left some in the trunk of my car year-round for 7 years and they were 100% fine. Yes you can filter found water, but this gets you on your way quicker.

Also think about how often you have your pup with you. Might not be a bad idea to add a small rodent resistant sealed container of dog food to your GHB.
Good points, thanks! I have some water bottles in the trunk but I park in the garage so I'm not sure how they will do with really cold temps. I will get some of those foil pouches like you suggested. I'm adding a tupperware thing of dog food. I usually just take the dog to trails locally in the truck but we are eventually road tripping back to my GF's parents' place in georgia and he is going with us. I'm also adding a canteen cup since I don't have anything to boil water in on the stove!

Also, the traction mats I got are awesome. They came with mounting hardware that randomly fits the bed rails in my tacoma perfectly:
Amazon product ASIN B071HN2BL6View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HN2BL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On making coffee, do it the cowboy way. Rolling boil, add coffee directly to water. Boil 5min. Remove from heat for 1min. Add 2-3 cups of cold water. Drink. If you didn't like coffee because of how acidic it is, drink coffee made this way and it will change your mind. Boiling the grounds direct breaks down the acid.

View: https://youtu.be/tq7Si7cp2jM

I finished setting up my truck for the winter. I'm a New England newbie, so I would appreciate any tips on additions etc.

I have an E-tool and tow strap, shackles and general towing stuff, a pretty decent tool kit (I try to use just the tools in the truck when I'm doing maintenance etc), tire pump, fire extingisher, fix-a-flat, extra bulbs, tall insulated boots, a head lamp, several pairs of work gloves and extra oil in the cab. I also have a get home bag/survival kit with a poncho, some 550 cord, a morakniv, space blanket, some survival bars, a micro stove and fuel, fire starting stuff, and a water filter. The bed has some traction mats, another (full-size) shovel, a bow saw and extra blade, some rubber shoe covers, chains for all 4 wheels, a 2 gallon rotopax gas can with gas, a 20 degree mummy bag, another poncho and a poncho liner. The 5' Z-lite mat is for my dog.
Idk where in new england you are specifically or what you do and where you go so that’s either going to be overkill or underkill.
I don’t see the chains getting much use, I hope your tire pump is electric and not a bike pump, the fixaflat is nearly usesless if you have a truck, should just make sure the full size spare is on good condition and the tire lift works. Drop the tire, clean out up there and oil it once a year. I also think light bulbs are more likely to get broken in a truck than anything and aren’t an immediate, get home repair. Worst case scenario stick a flashlight out the window. Speaking of get home repairs make sure you have vice grips, they can save a broken brakeline and be the difference between getting home with 70-80% stopping power or pumping all your fluid onto the road.
I’d look for a bottle jack and a piece of plywood to replace the factory jack becuase if you do ever have to change a tire they suck to use. They take forever to jack up, aren’t sturdy, and sink into sand or a soft roadside. I keep a rolling floorjack in my service truck, and it has enough ground contact to support itself on most soft surfaces I encounter around here.

Get some flares, and a decent first aid kit. More likely than being trapped in your truck for an extended period of time is an accident or breakdown, either being involved in, or coming upon one.

Also, at least down here, the biggest danger posed by a winter storm is a 4’ diameter tree blocking your way out of or into your neighborhood, driveway, workplace, etc. In the October storm I had 3 across my driveway and I spent 2 days with 3 crews doing nothing but moving trees off driveways and roofs. A chainsaw is a good investment for the truck, fill it with ethanol free mix and it’ll last sitting for a year. Get a small wedge too they’re cheap and can save you and your saw.

Make sure you have stabil or something in your gas cans and preferably winter blend fuel. They change over how they make fuel up here for the winter.

Also, practically, keep a gallon windshield washer fluid. If you know someone with a newer diesel steal a spout off one of the DEF cans they’re throwing away for it, they fit most jugs and are better than a funnel. The salt and road grime thrown up from driving in wet conditions in the winter will render your windshield opaque and you’ll inevitably run out of washer fluid when you need it most.
I’d also store the oil in the bed if/when you open them. They don’t seal afterwards.

I hope I don’t sound like a dick I’m just trying to condense as much of my knowledge as ai can quickly. I’ve plowed since I could drive and I have a fleet of 30 trucks that have seen nearly every breakdown, problem, and roadside mishap that a boy can. A good flashlight and a little wit has saved my bacon more times than I can count. I’m trying to think of what I keep in my service truck and what’s happened to me over the years.

Sorry, probably talked about dozens of times, but I don’t want to search.

What are you guys doing with coffee? Short term and long term?

I have no idea how long it lasts in storage. Thank you all. Instant may be the best option.

I like whole beans vacuum sealed with a hand grinder and French press as part of my long-term prep.

M-F it’s ground from the same blend in the Keurig, every few months I open the whole bean and use it until it’s gone and replace it as needed.

I stock about 5+ pounds of coffee at any given time.

I prefer milk in my coffee so I have a powered vanilla protein power and powdered milk stored as well. The Carnation Instant Breakfast shakes are shelf-stable, and the vanilla is a good substitute for cream in your coffee while adding a little bit extra protein.

Carnation Breakfast Essentials® - Nutritional Drinks & Powder Mixes

Pretty well thought out setup. You may want to consider having some water in sealed mylar pouches that are rated to withstand a range of temperatures. The kind that are stocked in lifeboats. I have personal experience with Datrex brand water pouches - left some in the trunk of my car year-round for 7 years and they were 100% fine. Yes you can filter found water, but this gets you on your way quicker.

Also think about how often you have your pup with you. Might not be a bad idea to add a small rodent resistant sealed container of dog food to your GHB.

Agree, but lifeboat water really isn’t needed, IMO. Back in my younger mountain bike after work days (pre-kids), I would have a 1/2 case of beer and a gallon of water in a cooler in my truck year-round. Kept it from freezing in the winter and kept it cool enough to drink in the summer, no problem (note, I had tinted windows also that helped). Only one really cold winter do I remember the water freezing partially, but the beer was still very drinkable (delicious).

Now a days with the kiddos, I keep a smaller cooler on the floor of the back seat with four bottles of water, snacks, ibuprofen, puke bag, moist towelettes, lighter, bandaids, safety pins, electrical tape and a couple of chem light sticks. Again, the cooler does its job in both summer and winter weather. That’s not a prep per se, it’s just day-to-day with kids

Agree, but lifeboat water really isn’t needed, IMO. Back in my younger mountain bike after work days (pre-kids), I would have a 1/2 case of beer and a gallon of water in a cooler in my truck year-round. Kept it from freezing in the winter and kept it cool enough to drink in the summer, no problem (note, I had tinted windows also that helped). Only one really cold winter do I remember the water freezing partially, but the beer was still very drinkable (delicious).

Now a days with the kiddos, I keep a smaller cooler on the floor of the back seat with four bottles of water, snacks, ibuprofen, puke bag, moist towelettes, lighter, bandaids, safety pins, electrical tape and a couple of chem light sticks. Again, the cooler does its job in both summer and winter weather. That’s not a prep per se, it’s just day-to-day with kids
Great idea with the cooler. My kleen canteen definitely freezes.

You make a very valid point. Bulk is always an issue for me though - my previous vehicle was a Tercel and there was simply no room to spare. My current vehicle is bigger, but not by a whole lot. So I prioritize for smaller things and things that can nest up together efficiently. And in all fairness, I have enough of a lazy streak that I don't want to have to keep checking that stuff is intact and still in date. Getting 7+ years lifespan on lifeboat water and rations made me giddy.

What I like about the cans of sealed/ground coffee and Cowboy-Style is; you never know what conditions we will face when SHTF.

This coffee and this brew style will work over rangetop or campfire.

It is also easier to barter with, because grinders will be a luxury, even if only a manual hand grinder.

We may never need these preps, but choosing something that you can consume in the good times as well as the bad times is a no-brainer...

Nespresso may not cut it... [rofl]

1641166463878.png

I do love a camp perc though...

1641166542159.png
not my photo...

As for coffee picked up one of these, but the one I got came with a bag of creamer and another of sugar. It also came in a different bin, sort of like shorter rectangular rubbermaid tote thing.

It's okay but then again I'm no coffee snob, I'm good with instant if it's all I can get my mitts on.
Franklin's Finest Survival Coffee (720 servings, 1 bucket)

Another good thing to stock is whole fat powdered milk (I like Peak brand.)

Not only is it long shelf lasting, but if you like cream, just double the amount (that you use to make milk) and put it right into your coffee and stir.

Now, while there are plenty of powdered non-dairy creamers for coffee, they can't make good milk for baking or cooking of for kid's cereal. Whereas the Peak can...

ordered a sampler of Starbucks instant coffees (dark & medium) to try. If any good I’ll prob stock up on 5lbs of each and store in 1qt Mylar pouches with oxygen absorbers.

If SHTF, it’s super easy to use and the brand name would prob bring premium trading value. Instant in Mylar with oxy absorbers should keep for 25+ years.

Coffee on sale at My Patriot. 24hr deal. Link below is to the Coffee page, but if you buy from the deal of the day page it's cheaper.

Coffee reg link

Deal of day link

ordered a sampler of Starbucks instant coffees (dark & medium) to try. If any good I’ll prob stock up on 5lbs of each and store in 1qt Mylar pouches with oxygen absorbers.

If SHTF, it’s super easy to use and the brand name would prob bring premium trading value. Instant in Mylar with oxy absorbers should keep for 25+ years.
Update: tried the Starbucks instant and it tastes like crap. Tastes like any other instant cofffee I’ve ever tried but worse.

Gonna have to resort to ground coffee for the apocalypse.

Looking for opinions on the best firestarting device. I'd like to hear from someone that uses it regularly to start a fire quickly and reliably (outside of the Bic lighter). Something that can be bought in bulk without worrying about shelf life.

Looking for opinions on the best firestarting device. I'd like to hear from someone that uses it regularly to start a fire quickly and reliably (outside of the Bic lighter). Something that can be bought in bulk without worrying about shelf life.

We've been using Instafire for woodstoves and firepits with a regular lighter.

If you want go bag, minimalist, start a fire in 0°F snow then buy magnesium with striker blocks and make your own cotton balls dipped in melted Vaseline. Store cotton balls in a skool or shoe polish tin.

If you want to start a relaxing fire at home or a camp site, get the Instafire and carry a Bic lighter.

Device, not material? When I got to Anchorage in 1977 @ Elmendorf AFB there were several classes for new people about Alaska and the challenges of staying alive in the cold. One of the things that were readily available up there but I have never scene since were light anywhere matches. They were wooden shaft, the head was about 1" long and they lit anywhere, even underwater. I haven't seen them since I left there but they were quite effective.

Device, not material? When I got to Anchorage in 1977 @ Elmendorf AFB there were several classes for new people about Alaska and the challenges of staying alive in the cold. One of the things that were readily available up there but I have never scene since were light anywhere matches. They were wooden shaft, the head was about 1" long and they lit anywhere, even underwater. I haven't seen them since I left there but they were quite effective.

True "Strike Anywhere Matches". We would recommend them for students to pack in their kits for work, vehicles, hunting, hiking or whatever. The formular was altered due to transportation regulations. Then the supply dried up.

[rockon]

Purell. It's jelly alcohol. Couple of squirts on damn near anything and a spark is all it takes. It's cheap and you likely keep it on hand anyway

Back
Top Bottom