Prep of The Day Thread

Got some LED bulbs for a bin full of old D cell Maglites I still have lying around. $8 per bulb to avoid tossing 8 old 3/4 D cell flashlights in the garbage.

Definitely brings the old gals back to usability. Only 100 lumens, but way better than the old incandescent bulbs. Rated to 3W @ 9V. So in a 4 D (6V) flashlight it should run for about 36hrs. I'm gonna test one with reg alkaline batts.

Bulbs
20210404_140148.jpg
20210404_140218.jpg

Before
20210404_140101.jpg

After
20210404_135952.jpg

Camera on manual adjusted as close to what I am actually seeing at night on basement stairs. I can't beleive how terrible old flashlights were when I was young. We're so spoiled now.

Got some LED bulbs for a bin full of old D cell Maglites I still have lying around. $8 per bulb to avoid tossing 8 old 3/4 D cell flashlights in the garbage.

Definitely brings the old gals back to usability. Only 100 lumens, but way better than the old incandescent bulbs. Rated to 3W @ 9V. So in a 4 D (6V) flashlight it should run for about 36hrs. I'm gonna test one with reg alkaline batts.

Bulbs
View attachment 468995
View attachment 468996

Before
View attachment 468994

After
View attachment 468993

Camera on manual adjusted as close to what I am actually seeing at night on basement stairs. I can't beleive how terrible old flashlights were when I was young. We're so spoiled now.

Ya, BIG difference.

I have about six 3 D cell very old maglights too. Took the batteries out and just "mothballed" them. If I'm going to spend $8 a bulb for LED, I'd just as soon buy new lights.....but that's just me......I'm a certified "flashlight whore".😆

MRE depot has the Yoders canned meats on sale, this time 15% off but no free shipping. Code is Yoders15, sale ends today. Grabbed 2 more cases of ground beef myself, comes out to just under $6/lb with shipping.

MRE depot has the Yoders canned meats on sale, this time 15% off but no free shipping. Code is Yoders15, sale ends today. Grabbed 2 more cases of ground beef myself, comes out to just under $6/lb with shipping.

Thanks for the heads up - bought a couple of cases as well to round out some of the preps

I don't know how the Yoder's tastes but I just had some of my home canned in a mason jar last night. I thought it was good for canned, not like fresh but, it wasn't. Bought sirloin last summer on sale for $2.99 lb. The chicken is quite good. What is the shelf life of Yoder's?

I don't know how the Yoder's tastes but I just had some of my home canned in a mason jar last night. I thought it was good for canned, not like fresh but, it wasn't. Bought sirloin last summer on sale for $2.99 lb. The chicken is quite good. What is the shelf life of Yoder's?

Site says 10 years

The Yoder's bacon is delicious. The ground beef is a bit tough and dry, but I view it's use as for Emergency Use Authorization only.

You can pressure can your own bacon. I have used bacon I canned in 2014 as recently as 2020. It gets a bit crumbly, but the taste is still spot on. Makes a nice bacon omelette with fresh eggs from the feathered raptor flock. My pressure canner does 7 quart jars per batch

The Yoder's bacon is delicious. The ground beef is a bit tough and dry, but I view it's use as for Emergency Use Authorization only.

You can pressure can your own bacon. I have used bacon I canned in 2014 as recently as 2020. It gets a bit crumbly, but the taste is still spot on. Makes a nice bacon omelette with fresh eggs from the feathered raptor flock. My pressure canner does 7 quart jars per batch

How much bacon per quart?

How much bacon per quart?
The answer is 'it depends'. I have had better luck with thicker cut slices, and unbleached parchment paper.

A thick cut pound will fit. about a dozen slices (3/4 pound) of regular. Use WIDE MOUTH jars.
Make 100% sure you have a pristine sealing surface, or in a few weeks you will smell spoiled bacon...a sin against humanity.

I will gently heat a jar before use, so the grease in the jar liquefies, and use it to make Texas toast (bread cooked in bacon grease).

Every time I see Market Basket do a sale on bacon, I buy either 6 or 12 pounds, and do 1 or 2 batches.
The days of 1.99 and 2.99 pounds of bacon at MB are long gone. Thanks Biden, you f*ckstick

Edit: here's a process similar to what I've used: Canned bacon — Roll your own - Backwoods Home Magazine

BTT

You know how we all stack ammo steep and deep in good times when it's plentiful so we can make it through the hard times, like now?
I've had this sinking feeling with all that's going on with the world today that things may be going down hill pretty fast, and we're actually at that curve in the road right now where the downhill is starting.

I stocked up well pre-pandemic, when it first broke out in China around the Fall of 19 iirc. I was coming home with stuff every day for two weeks. Since then I've been living off and thinning out those preps for almost 2 years. One freezer totally empty, the other two half empty. Pantry is relatively low and disorganized. I'm going to change this starting tomorrow, going to get out there and start re-stocking for a cold dark winter.

🤓

BTT

You know how we all stack ammo steep and deep in good times when it's plentiful so we can make it through the hard times, like now?
I've had this sinking feeling with all that's going on with the world today that things may be going down hill pretty fast, and we're actually at that curve in the road right now where the downhill is starting.

I stocked up well pre-pandemic, when it first broke out in China around the Fall of 19 iirc. I was coming home with stuff every day for two weeks. Since then I've been living off and thinning out those preps for almost 2 years. One freezer totally empty, the other two half empty. Pantry is relatively low and disorganized. I'm going to change this starting tomorrow, going to get out there and start re-stocking for a cold dark winter.

🤓
Good Idea

Added 6 fire extinguishers to the house and garage.
If you got good pricing would you mind sharing?

For those bugging in, the easiest way to drive you out of your house is a simple mason jar full of gasoline thrown at a wood wall. Make one of your preps of the day to have an answer to this

Energy is the big concern right now. Price is rising and putting more pressure on raw material production. UK is close to becoming paralyzed because their lockdowns and green energy bullshit have crippled their self reliance.
This! Martens on covers it in a video this week. There are ongoing and worsening supply chain issues for almost everything. 70 cargo ships parked off the coast of Cali...still. I suspect some of that is Covid but the rest is deliberate to cause more chaos. Consider how many parts that feed the manufacturing supply chain are on those ships?

I'm also anticipating the vax mandates and follow on firing to cause major disruption in everything. We've heard about healthcare, but consider if truckers are fired? Oil and gas sector workers? Food processing plants? The list goes on.. supply will drop and prices will rise so I'm working to deepen my pantry

If you got good pricing would you mind sharing?

For those bugging in, the easiest way to drive you out of your house is a simple mason jar full of gasoline thrown at a wood wall. Make one of your preps of the day to have an answer to this
A few months ago a tree limb fell onto a power line which must have sparked and caught the brush on fire, I was outside and heard it and shortly after could smell smoke. I went to check it out and the fire was being pushed by the wind into the woods not far from our house. Some guys were trying to put it out. I gave one guy my car extinguisher. Came back home and grabbed 7 more extinguishers. Probably every one we had and went back. That was barely enough to slow it down until the fire department got there.

I now have 2 in the car and I think we now have 10 or 12 between the house and the barn. I also thought out a game plan where I could probably get a good distance into the woods with a garden hose if necessary to slow something like that down. But if it gets up in the trees there's no stopping it with out the fire department.

I'll have to come up with a plan for your scenario. :(

I'll have to come up with a plan for your scenario. :(

I think the best plan for a mason jar of gasoline thrown at the house, is to drop the guy holding it before he turns it loose.

I’m not sure what else you could do. We have aluminum siding, which might help, but I still feel like it’s going up and under in that situation regardless. The best defense is a good offense?

For any of you that have lawn sprinkler systems, install an extra zone with some bigger heads that waters the outside of the house. Turn it on, instant fire suppression for the exterior. Lots of people in forest fire areas do this, they have specific setups for it.

My leg hurts… It hurts different than you think…. If I had to describe it I say it’s like somebody’s hungry and eating my leg…. I don’t know it’s a new one

My leg hurts… It hurts different than you think…. If I had to describe it I say it’s like somebody’s hungry and eating my leg…. I don’t know it’s a new one
Go get a deep body massage and stop pushing all your anger down to your feet.
In the future, try waking up and giving thanks for such a beautiful day. It changes your perspective.

Go get a deep body massage and stop pushing all your anger down to your feet.
In the future, try waking up and giving thanks for such a beautiful day. It changes your perspective.
I give myself a pep talk every morning…. Kind of tricky when your crutching it… honestly doesn’t hurt that bad…. I’ll take that over an knee or ankle…

That duct tape was gunna go on backwards… to avoid waxing my leg…. Thank god I could reach some paper towels

Back
Top Bottom