Prep of The Day Thread

Looks like latex gloves are the next shortage;

I have a couple of boxes because I use them in the garage, and I have them in all of my first aid kits.

Anyone have a recommendation for a quality axe brand? I have a maul I'm happy with, but only a few home depot hatchets. I'd like to get something 18-24" and another 30-36" to have use more regularly with my son who has taken to woodwork.

Canned a bunch of venison last night. First attempt at pressure canning. Had a good year with archery deer season (x bow) and ran out of freezer space. Always wanted to try it. Followed directions and all went perfectly. Hope I don’t die of botulinum, haha. I have had it from a friend before and loved it, very tender. Supposedly lasts for 2 yrs plus with no refrigeration.E607D8B6-9595-4C75-A5E4-AACB4D69810A.jpeg939E0E4C-97DA-4567-B44E-87B71422372F.jpeg1B1D6150-93D8-48F0-86A6-89D26E8E907A.jpeg0F5232AC-D196-4414-9AF3-38D957354A20.jpeg

@Dan-o that's awesome! I usually can most of my stew meat. Makes it oh so tender and it can be used in all sorts of stuff. Canning will open up a whole new world of food prep for you. You will never have to say, "Uggh, don't feel like cooking tonight". Just grab a jar and throw the stuff in a skillet, or if it is a prepared food like chili, meatloaf or soup; just throw it in a microwave. Good stuff. And it frees up your coveted freezer space.

@Dan-o that's awesome! I usually can most of my stew meat. Makes it oh so tender and it can be used in all sorts of stuff. Canning will open up a whole new world of food prep for you. You will never have to say, "Uggh, don't feel like cooking tonight". Just grab a jar and throw the stuff in a skillet, or if it is a prepared food like chili, meatloaf or soup; just throw it in a microwave. Good stuff. And it frees up your coveted freezer space.
Thx
Sounds great. The process wasn’t bad either. That’s what I was figuring, no defrost time and save freezer space for store bought stuff and back straps.
what is longest you have kept before using?

What is your meatloaf process and recipe. ;)

I just ate some prunes that were over three years old and some stewed meat that was two. I'm sure much older is safe. Problem is I cannot keep things stocked. I bet I have 300 jars canned. I do a lot of beef. I buy the cheapest nastiest stuff in bulk when it is on sale and can it all. The stuff comes out amazing. I also do tons of potatoes and carrots. Potatoes do not seem to store well anymore and takes too long to cook. Canned they last for ever and I can instantly fry them up or make mashed out of them.

@BarnBuilder , hamburger, breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, some coriander, thyme, parsley and ketchup. I sometimes throw in grated parmesan cheese. Mix it up and throw it into pint sized wide mouth jars so the loaf can come out. Can it for 90 minutes. Throw it on the shelf in your basement. When hungry, pop the lid and throw the jar into the nuke.

@BarnBuilder , hamburger, breadcrumbs, egg, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, some coriander, thyme, parsley and ketchup. I sometimes throw in grated parmesan cheese. Mix it up and throw it into pint sized wide mouth jars so the loaf can come out. Can it for 90 minutes. Throw it on the shelf in your basement. When hungry, pop the lid and throw the jar into the nuke.

How much headspace do you leave? also what kind of burger do you use? 80/20 85/15 due to the amount of fat content?

How much headspace do you leave? also what kind of burger do you use? 80/20 85/15 due to the amount of fat content?
1". I take some of that cheap beef I referred to above and grind it up. Plenty of fat in it. We are about to try to make some with my turkey burger meat we whipped up a couple of weeks ago. Turkey was 39 cents per pound so we bought four of them. Deboned all of it, ground it up and added 12 pounds of ground bacon. Then reground the mixture to blend in the fat. So I have 52 pounds of ground meat taking up way too much space in my freezer.

Been having a hard time getting whole grain in bulk.
Try the Bishops Storehouse in Worchester. 25lb bag of hard red wheat is $15.
Call them first, they have been out of stock on some items since the start off the virus.
They no longer accept cash, credit card only.
They are open Thursday and Saturday 9:00 am- noon.

Last edited:
Call them first, they have been out of stock on some items since the start off the virus.
Wierd how legal tender isn't a thing in covid.

couple of #10 cans of cornmeal and flour

replaced recoil spring in one of the m1 carbines, and cleaned and oiled it

about 20 lbs of chicken wings from Costco to put in freezer

They now have it in #10 cans as well. Been very spotty out there on stock. I did hit one day when they had almost the complete list available.

Canned a bunch of venison last night. First attempt at pressure canning. Had a good year with archery deer season (x bow) and ran out of freezer space. Always wanted to try it. Followed directions and all went perfectly. Hope I don’t die of botulinum, haha. I have had it from a friend before and loved it, very tender. Supposedly lasts for 2 yrs plus with no refrigeration.View attachment 417880View attachment 417881View attachment 417882View attachment 417883
Tried a jar today with some friends while butchering up another deer. Comes out of the can and falls apart like pulled pork!
myself and 3 friends all tried and absolutely loved it. All were hesitant at first but all want more.
its been 7 hrs and no botulism symptoms yet!

Back
Top Bottom