Prep of The Day Thread

I have a couple of buckets of freeze dried meals, but they are absolute last resort rations. For those who look to depen on them as an immediate "go to" food source......what is the plan when they run out?......because they will run out.

Not directed to you in particular, just a general question for anyone using them as a primary food source.

I have some freeze dried long term food in Homer buckets too. I bought them a few years ago, and add to the stack occasionally, hoping I never need to open one. They are for the OH SHIT, get all the Mosins, ammo tins, and whats left of the food in the truck, it's time to bug out to the town forest and rig a shelter out of the swing set.

I have some freeze dried long term food in Homer buckets too. I bought them a few years ago, and add to the stack occasionally, hoping I never need to open one. They are for the OH SHIT, get all the Mosins, ammo tins, and whats left of the food in the truck, it's time to bug out to the town forest and rig a shelter out of the swing set.

Yes, exactly......they are the "we're sitting in the bomb shelter" rations when going outside to garden or feed animals is not possible.

Its been my hobby for years to prepare for the worst, most things that i own have a place in my preparedness from my jeeps to my food preps.
Yes, exactly......they are the "we're sitting in the bomb shelter" rations when going outside to garden or feed animals is not possible.

supermarkets stock an average of 3 days worth of food for a given area, food availability is the key to societal collapse. in the news right now i see that food pantry lines are in the hundreds, when the food runs out and kids are going hungry thats when the shit hits the fan. markets will be killboxes, red cross and other relief agencys don't allow weapons. best to hunker down be the gray man and survive. By the time my food runs out the population will have thinned itself out quite a bit, i'll do short recon runs, each time venturing out a bit more. i dont suffer from food aversion and i can eat just about anything, my wife and i will be just fine.

Last edited:
Went to town today and did a lttle shopping to restock/rotate a few items and pick up some meat. Got to the store early and the parking lot was about empty, there was only about twenty shoppers in the place. Picked up 60lbs of cicken breasts, 20lbs of Perdue chicken quarters, 8lbs of bacon, 25lbs of pork, 20lbs of beef. Doing some rotation in the freezers.

Fixed a PTO neutral safety switch on the tractor and turned the wood chip compost piles. Cleaned up the chainsaws and mixed a batch of fresh non ethanol fuel for all the 2 cycle stuff.

Topped off chicken supplies today. Git another bag of feed, scratch grain and pine shavings and a few bags of chicken treats.
Picked up 2 extra grape vine plants since 2 I planted last year look a little iffy as to whether they survived winter.

I'm going to turn into a recluse with all this social distancing. It felt really weird to be out and walking around Tractor Supply.

Went to town today and did a lttle shopping to restock/rotate a few items and pick up some meat. Got to the store early and the parking lot was about empty, there was only about twenty shoppers in the place. Picked up 60lbs of cicken breasts, 20lbs of Perdue chicken quarters, 8lbs of bacon, 25lbs of pork, 20lbs of beef. Doing some rotation in the freezers.

Fixed a PTO neutral safety switch on the tractor and turned the wood chip compost piles. Cleaned up the chainsaws and mixed a batch of fresh non ethanol fuel for all the 2 cycle stuff.
I hope you have a good generator! [smile]

Stocking up on firewood in the tool shed. I don't have a wood stove nor have I ever bought a cord. This wood is just for fire pits, but in the event of a SHTF scenario, it's always good to keep a supply of firewood handy. Picked up some fallen trees from the recent storm.

Also, I'm finding myself eating more of the junk food I stored for later: potato chips, oreos, all sorts of snacks.

Last edited:
I hope you have a good generator! [smile]

I've got two MEP-803A 10kw diesel sets, 300 gal of diesel and several 5kw gasoline sets. Not really concerned with losing power so much as deliveries not being made in sufficient quantities to stores.
I don't think I'd make a good vegan at this point in my life. [laugh]
Not mine pictured but have two of the same.

image.jpeg

Sips 1gal/ hour under full 10k load @1800 rpm and you can talk normally at 25 feet away unlike the screaming gas jobs that turn at about 3500rpm.

speaking of wild yeast, Dad used to make wine under the kitchen sink. He'd put a raisin in each bottle of cherry juice. One time he put in more than one and the corks blew out of the bottles. He wired them down. The bottles exploded and sent red stuff running down the wall into the apt below. If you look at a raisin, that whitish "bloom" on it is a strain of wild yeast. Can't think of any way to make it useful for bread,but after a glass or two, you might not care, lol.

Stocking up on firewood in the tool shed. I don't have a wood stove nor have I ever bought a cord This wood is just for fire pits, but in the event of a SHTF scenario, it's always good to keep a supply of firewood handy. Picked up some fallen trees from the recent storm.

Also, I'm finding myself eating more of the junk food I stored for later: potato chips, oreos, all sorts of snacks.
My only "junk food" is dark chocolate. a specific brand actually. very low sugar no extra ingredients. so I stocked up via Amazon weeks ago. (best price through there anyway). Ate it all. Restocked. Ate all that. Cancelled the 3rd order. [rofl]

My only "junk food" is dark chocolate. a specific brand actually. very low sugar no extra ingredients. so I stocked up via Amazon weeks ago. (best price through there anyway). Ate it all. Restocked. Ate all that. Cancelled the 3rd order. [rofl]
I have a self admitted candy problem but Ive been pretty good at keeping it out of the house. If its in front of me Ill eat it all until its gone, but if its not in the house I dont really pay it any mind. However I was thinking it might be good to have some on hand as sort of a psychological pick-me-up if it ever got bad so I added a few varieties to my food storage. Welp...Ive been working my way through them like a runaway train. Already. [laugh]

this sounds like something that I may enjoy, mind sharing what brand. low sugar and no extra ingredients piques my interest.
I love this stuff, get it locally at a Lebanese store. delicious
Dark Chocolate Square with Pistachio , 2 pack Chocolate Ülker

this sounds like something that I may enjoy, mind sharing what brand. low sugar and no extra ingredients piques my interest.
I love this stuff, get it locally at a Lebanese store. delicious
Dark Chocolate Square with Pistachio , 2 pack Chocolate Ülker
Green and Black's Organic 85% dark chocolate. Although they recently started adding chocolate liquor which I am not 100% what that is. Only 4 grams added sugars per serving (10 pieces) and 7 net carbs.
I like it better when it's been in the fridge. If you like a sweeter taste let it get room temperature. Then you can taste the sweetness more.

I can't stock 'junk food' - I eat it immediately. Back in early March when I topped off some of my supplies, I bought 2 jars of Nutella to store. They were gone in less than a week (eaten with a spoon right out of the jar).

Most recent prepping I did was to buy some more soap (hand, dish and laundry). I like Mrs Meyers and it's been mostly sold out. Between Essex County Co-op and Target I added to my stocks.

I have a self admitted candy problem but Ive been pretty good at keeping it out of the house. If its in front of me Ill eat it all until its gone, but if its not in the house I dont really pay it any mind. However I was thinking it might be good to have some on hand as sort of a psychological pick-me-up if it ever got bad so I added a few varieties to my food storage. Welp...Ive been working my way through them like a runaway train. Already. [laugh]

I went through most of my pandemic stash of chocolate. The thing that lasts the longest for me is dark chocolate, sea salt almond bark (Kind brand).
I decided I just can't buy it. Last week I was desperate and found a dark chocolate cashew turtle I hid from myself a few weeks ago. Score!!! The local candy store makes them and they are awesome.

I need to get back on the no sugar/very low carb plan I was on. It was nice not craving sweets.

I can't stock 'junk food' - I eat it immediately. Back in early March when I topped off some of my supplies, I bought 2 jars of Nutella to store. They were gone in less than a week (eaten with a spoon right out of the jar).

I used to eat Nutella the same way!

I went through most of my pandemic stash of chocolate. The thing that lasts the longest for me is dark chocolate, sea salt almond bark (Kind brand).
I decided I just can't buy it. Last week I was desperate and found a dark chocolate cashew turtle I hid from myself a few weeks ago. Score!!! The local candy store makes them and they are awesome.

I need to get back on the no sugar/very low carb plan I was on. It was nice not craving sweets.

I used to eat Nutella the same way!
I was doing very good for a while. Practically no sugar or bread. Probably mostly psychological, but after a couple of weeks I felt better and Im down 11 pounds from my heaviest weight from last summer or so. I absolutely crave sugar like you wouldnt believe after a meal, even breakfast.

I was doing very good for a while. Practically no sugar or bread. Probably mostly psychological, but after a couple of weeks I felt better and Im down 11 pounds from my heaviest weight from last summer or so. I absolutely crave sugar like you wouldnt believe after a meal, even breakfast.
Yeah, I'm fine until I eat. It doesn't matter what I eat. Even after an all protein breakfast with good fats I still crave something sweet. :(
Once I eat something I just want to eat all day. One thing that helped was on the days I worked a subcontracted job I'd just make some green tea with monkfruit sweetener, and not eat until late afternoon. It was easy since I was too busy to eat.

What is the best way to stockpile freeze a bunch of roaster chickens?

- Just toss them in the freezer - not space optimal but easy
- Unwrap them, remove the gut bag, vacuum seal them and put them in the freezer
- Spatchcock them, cut out the spine, fold them flat, vacuum seal and put in the freezer - space optimal

When pulling them out to eat, brine them for 8-12 hours to re hydrate them. Yes I overthink a lot of things

I Used Shaw's cart delivery yesterday. It looks like they don't like weekends, but Monday was fine. The picker communicated as she shopped my list and we substituted a few things. Delivery was fine. I placed the order at 0900 and was promised less than a 5 hour delivery. Food came to the door at 1300.

I Used Shaw's cart delivery yesterday. It looks like they don't like weekends, but Monday was fine. The picker communicated as she shopped my list and we substituted a few things. Delivery was fine. I placed the order at 0900 and was promised less than a 5 hour delivery. Food came to the door at 1300.
What do they charge for that service?

Prepared another 500 sq ft of garden space this morning. Added ten loader buckets of wood chip compost ( which is now pretty much rich soil), 25lbs of limestone, 20lbs of 19-19-19 and tilled it all in. Banged a few fence T posts but need to go buy a couple of rolls of 2x4x100ft of galvanized fencing.

What do they charge for that service?

There is some low flat fee like 6$ and all orders have to be above 35$, but that is nothing. You can pick your tip to the picker/deliverer. I toss in 10% as it is well worth that to have the food placed on my doorstep and me not shopping. No broken eggs, no dented cans and the picker communicates with you via messaging as they fill the order. Some stuff was not available and alternative products were offered. I took all alternative offers with one stupid exception which I disrememebr. I cancelled that product. (edit) I remember now, it was light cream and all they had was 1/2 and 1/2.

Shaw's prices are not cheap, but I always liked that store. A couple hundred bucks will last me at least a few weeks. I only feed me.

Made 2 quiches from scratch.

100% pantry meal

Pie crust from my grandmother's crisco pie crust recipe.
Cheddar from my dehydrated cheese store
Red Feather butter
Bacon I had previously canned
Nestle table cream (canned)
Pressure canned onions from last season's harvest
18 eggs from my new flock

Delicious.

Attachments

• IMG_7605.jpg
    IMG_7605.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 9
Back