Prep of The Day Thread

I made love to my guns by giving them a nice wipe-down with CLP today.

Oh, a Grey Ghost apparition bag came from Botach over the weekend. I've been looking for a non-tactical looking backpack for compact/short rifles, but most bags are just a bit short: you need about minimum of 21" for an AR15 SBR. This bag is LONG: I could fit in my 27" OAL Daewoo K1A1 rifle with 16" barrel in it with the telescoping stock collapsed: Grey Ghost Gear Apparition SBR Short Barreled Rifle Bag Lime Green At $80, it's less than half of price than any other website I have seen. And a full length assembled rifle in a bag!

100_17__44466.1574365091.jpg

Last edited:
If we're preppin and then telling people what we're preppin, arent we doing it wrong? Or is it ok to tell internet strangers rather than the lazy dude across the street?

Over the last week or so I grabbed some jugs of water, vitamins, fish oil, rubbing alcohol, powdered milk, powdered potatoes, respirators, exam gloves, alum foil, dish soap, reg soap, cold and flu meds, hydrogen peroxide, pool shock, food saver bags, and my last food shopping trip picked up extra canned foods above my regular extra canned food. Also bagged and froze some chicken and beef. I was kicking myself today because a guy I know is getting divorced and is selling off stuff. He mentioned he sold his freezer chest for like $75. I was just looking at them online the night before. :(

Last edited:
If we're preppin and then telling people what we're preppin, arent we doing it wrong? Or is it ok to tell internet strangers rather than the lazy dude across the street?

Over the last week or so I grabbed some jugs of water, vitamins, fish oil, rubbing alcohol, powdered milk, powdered potatoes, respirators, exam gloves, alum foil, dish soap, reg soap, cold and flu meds, hydrogen peroxide, pool shock, food saver bags, and my last food shopping trip picked up extra canned foods above my regular extra canned food. Also bagged and froze some chicken and beef. I was kicking myself today because a guy I know is getting divorced and is selling off stuff. He mentioned he sold his freezer chest for like $75. I was just looking at them online the night before. :(
I guess it's up to you what you are willing to share.
As far as getting a freezer, they aren't that expensive. I have a decent sized one but it's mostly used to dispense beer. I can easily turn it back into a freezer if needed.

Worked on water prep as it was going to rain, filled trash cans and a 55gal plastic soap barrel, ( non potable the soap barrel ). Talked with the septic guy hes coming over for a pump out this week. Made some more grape and berry wine, then worked on a metal brake i'm fabbing to bend sheet metal.
Tomorrow is hanging more solar sensor lights around choke po........er ah I mean areas of the yard to see better, ya that sounds better lol.

I bought a solar generator and solar panel for my overland rig, i can charge up all my flashlight, walkie talkie, drone, gps and laptop batteries and run my fridge from the sun. makes way more sense than the inverter i used to use.

What did you buy for a solar generator/panel? Just started looking at these. Thank you.

I bought a solar generator and solar panel for my overland rig, i can charge up all my flashlight, walkie talkie, drone, gps and laptop batteries and run my fridge from the sun. makes way more sense than the inverter i used to use.

Cheap prep - lots of stores will give you a book of matches or two, whether you buy smokes or cigars or not. Grab one or two every time you're at such a place. It's not waterproof, wind proof, or "strike anywhere" but it's being given out for free and makes great firestarting, fire enhancing, or improvised whatever fodder.

If you have a small brook on your property should you think about building a small generator to be powered by the flow ?

I've thought about it before, just not acted on it.

Today I disassembled and cleaned a couple of STEVENS MODEL 87A .22 rifles. They shoot Shorts, Longs and Long Rifle.

They are fun guns to sit and shoot cans with or dispatch a trespassing squirrel.

Unless you're really pressed for space or don't plan on storing much frozen food, 10 cubic feet isn't much freezer space.

I have two 16 cubic footers and could use another one.

Perfect for what I need, in the space I need to put it in. If I outgrow it, I’ll deal with it then. I’ve already got two refrigerators and freezers.

Food shopping yesterday added some water, various dried beans, variety of canned food, pasta, mason jars. Pool shock came today along with attachments for vac packing mason jars with the foodsaver. Vac packed some chicken and pork along with the beans. Also had a pack of chamomile seeds come in. Looking for self contained heartburn relief.

Also whats the best way to store pool shock for someone who doesnt have any outside storage? Im thinking original packaging in a Ziplock bag in a plastic bucket with a lid kept in the basement. Is this a passable solution?

100 amoxicillin tablets for fish, can also be used for mammals in an end of the world situation.

Does the packaging say how long it lasts? I think prescription amoxicillin only lasts a couple years for full potency, but maybe the lower grade stuff lasts longer. Would be an interesting prep find if you could get more life cycle out of it, not to mention not requiring a prescription.

Food shopping yesterday added some water, various dried beans, variety of canned food, pasta, mason jars. Pool shock came today along with attachments for vac packing mason jars with the foodsaver. Vac packed some chicken and pork along with the beans. Also had a pack of chamomile seeds come in. Looking for self contained heartburn relief.

Also whats the best way to store pool shock for someone who doesnt have any outside storage? Im thinking original packaging in a Ziplock bag in a plastic bucket with a lid kept in the basement. Is this a passable solution?

NO, it is not a passable solution. Chlorine vapors are heavy and will settle and stay in your basement and build up. You may not notice them for a while but they will be there.

Find some way, somewhere, to camo that bucket and keep it outside. The stuff doesn't need to be temperature stable.

Trust me.....I had about 6lbs start to outgas in a plastic bucket inside and as light as the fumes were, they were terrible. Luckilly I caught the issue in time and was able to change locations to an outside spot.

For heartburn relief......1/2 tsp baking soda in 6 oz water. Sweetest burp you'll ever have.😆

I'd be interested in learning how to long term store yeast cultures. Bread and cheese will be luxury items in the zombie apocalypse. Other than that, my most recent prep move has been learning skill sets. Basic electrical/mechanical concepts. Scratch cooking. Basic medical. Foraging/plant identification. DIY water filtration.

I don't currently own land, so I can't do a lot of traditional "home" prep. I figure the second best thing is I'll prep my brain and keep a solid BoB.

I'd be interested in learning how to long term store yeast cultures. Bread and cheese will be luxury items in the zombie apocalypse. Other than that, my most recent prep move has been learning skill sets. Basic electrical/mechanical concepts. Scratch cooking. Basic medical. Foraging/plant identification. DIY water filtration.

I don't currently own land, so I can't do a lot of traditional "home" prep. I figure the second best thing is I'll prep my brain and keep a solid BoB.
Unless you can cryo freeze them ( -20C) yeast is only good for a couple of years max in a normal freezer. I'd say just buy and rotate it....its a lot cheaper than a cryo temp freezer.

Unless you can cryo freeze them ( -20C) yeast is only good for a couple of years max in a normal freezer. I'd say just buy and rotate it....its a lot cheaper than a cryo temp freezer.

I'm just getting into it now, so by no means knowledgeable about it, but I believe there are cycling methods of putting the yeast to "sleep" in a fridge for short term storage 4-6 months, reactivating it, then putting it back to sleep again for another 4-6 months. Done property, I think this would work for perpetuity, or as long as there's electricity for the fridge. But again, I'm just looking into it now, so I don't know if I'm interpreting the info correctly. It would be nice to be able to make bread, cheese, and beer once settled in your post-apocalyptic home.

You can also learn how to collect yeast. I make wine, beer and ultimately whiskey from wild yeast collection. Not sure how bread would come out though but it’s a thought.

Back
Top Bottom