• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

A few weeks ago on a chance buy I bought a small drone, its a HS430 drone on Amazon for 55 dollars shipped, yes its straight from china but the darn thing is pretty easy to fly and has a decent 1080 camera on it, hooks to a phone threw its own WiFi signal and three Batts that run for about 12-14 min with the camera on.

I will say in a grid down it will be nice for someone to just fly it around the house or beyond to keep an eye on the perimeter and for the short cost of 55 bucks a few can be bought and put away for just such a use.

My son in law has a better one that will stabilize its self and can return when running low on Batts. But for 55 dollars you get a birds eye view of your yard and several can be had.
Maybe I’m missing something.

If it connects via Wi-Fi wouldn’t it be useless in a grid down?

Got a new Easter Egger rooster. Moving away from Brahmas back to Eggers. Less mites and health issue with the Eggers than any of the 6 or so breeds we've tried.

Earl (Egger) and Brewster (Brahma) duking it out for the ladies this morn. They've already divided into two sub flocks with relatively little fighting.

signal-2023-03-27-07-48-27-508-2.jpg

signal-2023-03-27-07-48-27-508-1.jpg

signal-2023-03-27-07-48-27-508.jpg

I started two quarts of sauerkraut last night. The proportions work out very well:

1 quart:
Half a head of cabbage
Half an onion
One carrot
One tbsp salt
Sprinkle of caraway seeds

We'll see how it does. If it works I'll invest in some wide mouth quarts. My whole supply of jars is regular mouth.

Someone left a bag of sweet potatoes, canned ravioli's and spaghetti sauce on the tree belt. They expire in 2026 and the sweet potatoes can go to the chickens. I hate sweet potatoes. I don't think this qualifies me for bum status

Twofer today. I spent the afternoon/evening boiling sap. I expect to get about two quarts this week, which will be nice. It was a long day of splitting wood (I find it burns hottest if I make small pieces), fussing, trying to keep my back to the wind, trying not to fall in the snow, and carrying buckets.

When I got home, I sampled one of my sauerkraut jars. I'm not sure what I expected, but that wasn't it. It was very crunchy still, sour, and maybe a little more oniony than I'd like. I might use a little more caraway, too, not that I measured it. I left the second jar for another day just to see what that does. I have a pack of snausages in the freezer I have to set out for tomorrow. Shit is finna be lit, son.

I also have a set of fermenting weights coming tomorrow. I'm gonna start with carrots because I have some. Any tips? Should I throw some garlic cloves in there?

I got two quarts of carrots in brine today to start fermenting. I didn't weigh them, but I'd guess about 1.5 pounds per quart.

I cut them into sticks, which fit the jars nicely, but it's kind of a pain in the ass since they all have to be cut to the correct length. The second jar got all the cutoffs sliced thin, so it's not as attractive of a jar and I needed a weight to keep everything submerged. If this works out good I'll revisit my technique and maybe find some technique that involves letting the food processor do the work.

Peter

Could you forward your cracker recipes

Thx
Super easy. Secret is to roll it very thin. I actually do two cookie sheets with the recipe. I use an egg wash, not an egg white wash. The whole egg will get it nice and brown. I just watch the oven and wait for the crispness and color I want. The next one will have parmesian cheese sprinkled on it. Have fun. You will have to hide it though because your family will gobble it up in a minute 😁

Resized_20230401_145806.jpeg Resized_20230401_145835.jpeg

Super easy. Secret is to roll it very thin. I actually do two cookie sheets with the recipe. I use an egg wash, not an egg white wash. The whole egg will get it nice and brown. I just watch the oven and wait for the crispness and color I want. The next one will have parmesian cheese sprinkled on it. Have fun. You will have to hide it though because your family will gobble it up in a minute 😁

View attachment 739453View attachment 739454

Thank you Kindly

Be well and stay safe

My first attempt to ferment....kimchi. Also pickling lemons, and made sugar cinnamon crackers and salty crackers. Finally getting the thickness and crisp just right.
View attachment 739443View attachment 739444

How did your kimchi turn out?

There are many recipes for kimchi but I just stick with the traditional napa cabbage and once in a while I'll make the turnip (winter kimchi).
Speaking of kimchi, I'm down to my last quart in the fridge and need to make another batch soon.

The crackers look delicious!!!!

What do pickled lemons taste like? Are they pickled in vinegar or is it a brine fermentation?
Don't know yet. It's pickling salt and sugar, with some spices mixed in. Sits in its own juice, with a touch of additional lemon juice. The whole lemon is supposed to be edible. Goes good with meat dishes or just on its own...supposedly.

How did your kimchi turn out?

There are many recipes for kimchi but I just stick with the traditional napa cabbage and once in a while I'll make the turnip (winter kimchi).
Speaking of kimchi, I'm down to my last quart in the fridge and need to make another batch soon.

The crackers look delicious!!!!
Thanks! Kimchi still fermenting. Not sure the recipe i used is the best. This will take a few attempts I think to find the right one.

What’s the purpose of stocking up on pool shock? I’m assuming it’s not so you can a crystal clear pool during shtf situation

Water purification

FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: A word of caution with regard to storing pool shock. DO NOT STORE IT ANYWHERE INDOORS IN ANY LIVING SPACE!!!!!

The stuff breaks down with age and produces deadly chlorine gas.

If you must store it, store it outdoors, away from any living space, preferably a low-lying area (chlorine gas is heavy and settles) and down wind.

Store it in a dry and air tight container.

just bought a case of yoders hambegerr 184.77 shipped from MREDepot.
its cheaper by the case for shiping of one than if i bought 2. $18.82 ship one and like 49 to ship 2.
anybody have good place to by yoders.
lot of places seem to sell for and extra $100/case which is crazy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom