• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Nice! I just have a a dozen pots on my deck, but they're growing like crazy! Indeterminate tomatoes and cherry toms are really producing this year. Other assorted veggies as well... I wish I planted more. What I don't eat or freeze, I give to my neighbors.

I converted a bunch if my CA destroy the environment gas cans to water cans. I figured not spilling water was better than guaranteeing I spills 2 cups of gas each time I picked one up. Got the kits from Tractor Supply.

IMG_20200831_083233.jpg IMG_20200831_083228.jpg

Side question. Does anyone have any tricks for getting that last little bit of super fine sediment out of maple syrup when making it? I opened a jar we made from 2018 last night for some ham we cooked and it always annoys me i have that thin, whispy layer of minerals on the bottom. Its a nucience more than a need.

Is it OK to plant berry bushes in the fall? I may want to plant some currants and lingonberries and some more blueberries.

I ordered a mix of early, mid, and late season blueberry plants from DiMeo Farms a couple of years ago. I wanted to get them from Norse but they would not ship any after May I think and it was already August. DiMeo was very busy at the height of harvesting season and my plants didn't get here until October. I was worried that they wouldn't get much of a start before going dormant and they would just die. I ordered 12 plants and they sent me 13. I planted them on a slope and amended the soil with sand and peat moss. I covered them with bark mulch. All of them survived the winter. We didn't get any berries the first year. This year we have huge berries and the mix of plants is allowing us to continue harvesting. The plants didn't come with labels but it is easy to see them go through the stages and see which are early, mid, and late season.

Blueberries have shallow roots. If some of them don't survive it shouldn't be difficult to replace them.

edit: I wanted to try growing garlic this year. I thought I was getting ahead of the game by ordering in March for early spring. I learned it should be planted in the fall. I received an email yesterday that my March order will be shipping soon, lol.

Last edited:
I converted a bunch if my CA destroy the environment gas cans to water cans. I figured not spilling water was better than guaranteeing I spills 2 cups of gas each time I picked one up. Got the kits from Tractor Supply.

View attachment 385411View attachment 385412

Side question. Does anyone have any tricks for getting that last little bit of super fine sediment out of maple syrup when making it? I opened a jar we made from 2018 last night for some ham we cooked and it always annoys me i have that thin, whispy layer of minerals on the bottom. Its a nucience more than a need.

That sediment is "sugar sand" or nitre "potassium nitrate"
There are filters made for this. Search maple syrup filtering.
Research says bottling the syrup at 180-190 F reduces or eliminates it.

Last edited:
I'm using one of the cloth filters now. Its not doing the job .might try the synthetic ones this fall. Does anyone have a brand they know works?

My garden is f***ed. Everything is dying. Basil, tomato plants, pole beans.....
Pests, beatles fungus. I can’t win this year.
Anyone have success with an outdoor greenhouse? Is it easier to control the elements pests fungus etc. etc.?
WTF is this?

963B5198-9B09-4DCE-877E-3DA7DE3DA033.jpeg E9BFD72B-DDDE-45CE-8DF1-C4D3BEF12B3D.jpeg

I only grow Jalapenos and they are doing great this year. It's the only thing I can grow that the animals don't eat. 😁
I usually grow jalapeños too. I went with serrano peppers this year. But you’re right, they are the only things doing well. I just picked a few.
image.jpg

I usually grow jalapeños too. I went with serrano peppers this year. But you’re right, they are the only things doing well. I just picked a few.
View attachment 386452

Gonna make fish tacos with the Black Sea Bass we caught last weekend, and pico de gallo tomorrow with all fresh ingredients from our families gardens. Can't wait. Will post pictures. :D

Anyone have success with an outdoor greenhouse? Is it easier to control the elements pests fungus etc. etc.?
WTF is this?

View attachment 385689View attachment 385690
Same happened to me. I also had hookworms on my tomato plants. Those f***ers have great camo.

1599158222903.png

My peach tree branches are all touching the ground now. When it finally rained, they all plumped up. Good thing they are touching, or they would snap!

Also, the grapes are doing really well this year. I usually let my neighbor pick them, and his wife will give us grape jelly in return. YUM!

Canned another 7qts of boneless chicken breast yesterday and making a small batch ( probably 12-14 pints) of green tomato relish this weekend.

Fixed another pull start rope on an EX800 Honda generator I bought used in 1992. It has a 12v DC output for battery charging, low oil indicator, frequency meter and two 120v outlets. It still starts first pull everytime.....God I love Honda small engines!!! image.jpeg

I have $4.00 into this generator......( pull rope) FOUR DOLLARS since 1992.

Last edited:
I think I asked earlier, but does anyone have experience with an outdoor greenhouse? My idea Is to cut down on the amount of pests, weather, fungus etc. etc.

I have Honda push mower. When I moved to current house it came with a Cub Cadet. I parked the push mower in the back of the shed. I pulled it out this summer. I did nothing. It still had gas in it. I pulled the cord and it started before I was done pulling.

Honda knows how to build a 2 stroke engine.

ETA - 3.5 years it sat in the shed outside.

You're not kidding. The gf has a Honda push mower that she completely abused. Never touched the oil in years. Thing fires right up.

I think I asked earlier, but does anyone have experience with an outdoor greenhouse? My idea Is to cut down on the amount of pests, weather, fungus etc. etc.

I have a greenhouse and a lot of raised beds. It may just be coincidence but I have those horn tomato worms often in the outside beds but have never seen any in the greenhouse. Also, I never have issues in the greenhouse with critters eating my crop.

You do have to mind the watering. Sometimes mother nature waters the outside stuff for me but I still have to water the greenhouse. It gets hot in there so you have to take that into consideration on water consumption.

I don't have a greenhouse ( yet ) but a couple of friends do. They get pests, fungus etc in there too. When it's hot out, you must open the place up so bugs and spores will enter. As noted above, watering is a must because of no rainfall unless you have one with a sliding top that can be opened to the weather.
Winter, you have to heat it if you want to grow when it's cold or start early seeds ( like February )

Automated temp control is a must or you'll be eyeballing a thermometer constantly......they get HOT.

WTF is this?

View attachment 385689View attachment 385690

Bean wilt. I had a lot of Japanese beetles. I sprayed and picked them off and the new growth on the beans looks good.
The drought sent all the pests into the garden. I don't think I've ever seen so many grasshoppers!
The summer and winter squash did well. I'm trying to grow some cold weather veggies for the Fall but the bugs are after them. I'm going to cover them tomorrow with insect cover to give them a chance.

I have a friend who bought a house with a large greenhouse. She has only done things like kale and lettuce and used it to start her plants.

Canned 5qts and 3 pints of sweet green tomato relish this morning.
That is the last of the gardens for this season......and my wife is oh so glad.

Now comes the wood splitting and stacking with the cooler weather.
Wow, where do you live that you close down your garden this early? I’m still planting and will harvest root crops until New Years.

Back
Top Bottom