• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

I am not sure about sweet potatoes but I did read recently that you need to use long season (indeterminate) potatoes in towers. I wanted to try towers this year but I got a late start and the only local seed potatoes I could find were Chieftan. (short season, determinate). Those are doing really well so far. I am not sure how often to water them. They are in raised containers and have good drainage.

We are watering every day it doesn't rain. A full watering can because the drainage is high.

We put some in. I'll report back in fall how they do. But we're also doing a raised box with sweets.

Have you used the potato towers before? I watched the video and the potatoes are on the outer edge and the vines grow through the straw. I always thought the vines needed to be in the dirt to grow potatoes. Of course mine don't even turn out that well so what do I know about it! LOL

Have you used the potato towers before? I watched the video and the potatoes are on the outer edge and the vines grow through the straw. I always thought the vines needed to be in the dirt to grow potatoes. Of course mine don't even turn out that well so what do I know about it! LOL

Ah, we cut potatoes so they have at least 2 sprouts on each. One points out and the others in. You need one to find light right away to transition to leafing. The others that remain in soil will convert to roots and tubers.

You can gro potatoes from one sprout, but it takes a few weeks for it to grow roots if you do that, and then the potatoes will end up smaller.

Ah, we cut potatoes so they have at least 2 sprouts on each. One points out and the others in. You need one to find light right away to transition to leafing. The others that remain in soil will convert to roots and tubers.

You can gro potatoes from one sprout, but it takes a few weeks for it to grow roots if you do that, and then the potatoes will end up smaller.
OK That makes sense. I found some shorter fence in the barn so I'll just stack it and zip tie it at the attachment point.. :)

We were finally able to find somewhere with chest freezers in stock, ordered one for next week delivery. We put 50lbs of all purpose flour in mylar bags with O2 absorbers today, and will freeze those for a couple weeks to kill off anything. We'll probably end up using it all in a year or less though. The mylar and absorbers are probably unnecessary but who knows.

We were finally able to find somewhere with chest freezers in stock, ordered one for next week delivery. We put 50lbs of all purpose flour in mylar bags with O2 absorbers today, and will freeze those for a couple weeks to kill off anything. We'll probably end up using it all in a year or less though. The mylar and absorbers are probably unnecessary but who knows.

You can stick regular paper bag flour on a shelf for a year with no issue.

You can stick regular paper bag flour on a shelf for a year with no issue.

We've had issues with those little bugs that look like small moths before with flour. I don't know if it's our house, or the flour itself. I just wanted to be extra cautious. Plus it was the first time I've gotten my wife involved with sealing up food for long term storage so it was nice.

We've had issues with those little bugs that look like small moths before with flour. I don't know if it's our house, or the flour itself. I just wanted to be extra cautious. Plus it was the first time I've gotten my wife involved with sealing up food for long term storage so it was nice.

Hmm. Humidity high? We have a dry basement, but we still run a small dehumidifier during the summer to make sure we don't get as many bugs in house.

If they look like moths that is probably what they are. Last year my daughter bought some bird seed and stored it in the pantry. The seed was contaminated and they got into everything in our pantry. Weevils are dark colored.

I think I'll be pulling one of these out this week along with the welder, grinder, drill, taps and steel and rigging it up for a 1919a4. It's been sitting in the corner for four years......time to get it operational.

German vehicle gun mount ring. These were sold by APEX for $320.00 a few years ago.

Going "Technical"😆

image.jpeg

We put 50lbs of all purpose flour in mylar bags with O2 absorbers today,
I bought a few cases of flour packed in #10 cans from the Bishops Storehouse.
This is what is printed on the label on the cans. "White Flour develops an off odor during storage with Oxygen absorbers that is eliminated by leaving the flour uncovered for one to two days after opening"

Tended the garden, cut grass and cut firewood today. Had a large whit oak tree down in the woods from last year. It broke 6ft up and was hung up on the base.
It dried out somewhat and was able to chain it and pull it to the ground with the tractor. Has three straight twelve inch diameter leaders about fifty feet long......nice straight grain so it will be easy splitting.

The two days I was going to weld up my gun ring frame was spent helping my neighbor get some farm machinery out from under the rubble of his barn. A fast moving storm here Thursday evening blew his 100+ year old oak barn to pieces. The wood it was built from is all rough sawn, full dimensional lumber and was timbered from the farm before 1900.

Anyone know how long you can store seeds as seen above in my post #565?
Depending on how they are packaged some people freeze them. I have a plastic box for seeds and I keep it in the basement. If the packaging is more airtight you might be able to freeze them. Not sure if the soil is already in the package or how to handle that.

Depending on how they are packaged some people freeze them. I have a plastic box for seeds and I keep it in the basement. If the packaging is more airtight you might be able to freeze them. Not sure if the soil is already in the package or how to handle that.
Take a look at that picture above. The seeds as sealed in some sort of organic medium, the soil pod is there, and the cardboard container holds them all with a little plastic ID card.
Basement is a good idea. I keep it dry down there with a dehumidifier. I also have some HD buckets with the gasket and lids which I used to use for brewing grains. They might work well maybe?

Take a look at that picture above. The seeds as sealed in some sort of organic medium, the soil pod is there, and the cardboard container holds them all with a little plastic ID card.
Basement is a good idea. I keep it dry down there with a dehumidifier. I also have some HD buckets with the gasket and lids which I used to use for brewing grains. They might work well maybe?

I looked at the picture. To me the package with the seeds looks more like some kind of filter material so I wasn't sure how airtight it would be or if the bag is part of the growing process. f you want to keep the kit together then the basement is probably the best plan.

I looked at the picture. To me the package with the seeds looks more like some kind of filter material so I wasn't sure how airtight it would be or if the bag is part of the growing process. f you want to keep the kit together then the basement is probably the best plan.
I opened a little seed box and the directions were on the inside. It a seed mat which is placed on the damp soil. It’s then covered with more soil. An airtight container is probably best.

Back
Top Bottom