• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pregnant Wanting To Take A Firearm Safety Course.

Why handicap your child to prove a point? Is it not our responsibility to protect our own children at all costs?...-

And isn't that precisely the very same argument that the anti's use verbatim to want to take away our guns? If even one child is killed by an unattended firearm, or in a school shooting, then we better give up all guns. Your choice of words has put you on a very slippery slope IMO. So where do you draw the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously you are conversant on the subject, but how much is enough? Is one session at an environmentally controlled range going to do any damage? It would appear to me that there are enough pollutants that an expectant mother could be exposed to on a more regular basis.

Your last statement makes you sound like you are from Cambridge and IMO is unworthy of you. I suppose that you are of a mindset that mother is unfit if she goes to a range and should turn her child over to the state to DCF (formerly DSS) upon birth. The state will protect the child from lead and all other harmful pollutants I am sure. It would seem that in FreeWillie's world, a pregnant woman would be encased in a plastic bubble for nine months in a totally sterile environment. I find it both interesting and curious that we have seen a rise in certain auto immune disorders, autism, asthma and allergies. Some suggest that this is due to the horrific way we have polluted our environment, while others suggest that perhaps we have created too sterile an environment.

So far you have only alluded to the physical aspects of the child's welfare, I suppose to that you believe that it does take a village to raise a child and that parents need to have a "thriving environment" whatever that means.

Gawd, you sound like a do-gooder social worker...and we know what they have done to alter our society in the last 50 years. Social engineering and progressivism at its finest. You really surprise me with your judgmental stance. In the end you may be correct, but frankly if what you have written is an implication of your larger worldview is not one I share, nor would I care to live in. The world simply filled with too many do-gooders who have taken it upon themselves to decide what is good for everyone else and this thread and indeed your response IMO is reflective of this trend. Oh, you may be a squared away 2A person, not debating that, but at what point will you start telling us that having guns in the house might be bad for children and responsible parents should turn them into the police?

It's the step by step indoctrination. First we don't want to harm the fetus, then we don't want to harm the child, and pretty soon everything we do becomes "for the kids."

Yea I'm a real proponent of State intervention in people's lives [rofl]. Frankly I don't care if she shoots everyday during her pregnancy. I just ask that she and her husband don't expect me to pay for their child's disabilities.

He asked about risks. I answered. If they decide to do it anyway then it's on them. I do think it stupid if they take the risk knowing the dangers. Just like I would think it's stupid if I tell you not to point a loaded gun at yourself and pull the trigger but you do it anyway.

Yea I'm a real proponent of State intervention in people's lives [rofl]. Frankly I don't care if she shoots everyday during her pregnancy. I just ask that she and her husband don't expect me to pay for their child's disabilities.

He asked about risks. I answered. If they decide to do it anyway then it's on them. I do think it stupid if they take the risk knowing the dangers. Just like I would think it's stupid if I tell you not to point a loaded gun is at yourself and pull the trigger but you do it anyway.

Well I really don't think it is your business to tell me that because I believe suicide is an inalienable right. If you are teaching me gun safety, that is a different matter of course.

It's not just the lead, but sound transmission into the womb. A study done with sheep and transducers confirmed this is a real issue.

I'd suggest a non-firing course now, get the LTC app in, and enjoy shooting after popping.

At this point the OP's wife has probably decided to go with a hobby where the people are less caty and emotionally more stable--she will start a knitting club with her pregnant friends. LOL

If she's reading this (everyone else stop reading now) let me assure you this banter doesn't happen at my range. Like no one has ever called me a nanny stater (whatever that means) when I'm shooting my AR with the bayonet fixed. What your witnessing here is the internet comando game of whose the most conservative. By these rules, you can dose that fetus with anything god created, like lead and DDT (it's in the bible, check the appendix). Because no one alive ever died from that.

hogwash. there will be no "lead" exposure if done outside or in a proper club. Just have her wash her hands well after shooting. The noises will filter thru to the kid, expect him/her dancing around a little.

As an Instructor, I would NOT knowingly allow a pregnant woman to take a shooting class with me. I would not want the legal or moral responsibility if anything went wrong with her pregnancy or child.

And not every Instructor teaches shooting classes with only .22s or only 5 or 10 rds (i.e. teaching to the clock to process students thru vs. those of us who teach without an eye on the clock and want to ensure that our students get a chance to truly learn). When I have taught the basic courses in the past, we allowed students to shoot .22, .38Spl, 9mm as a minimum and oftentimes other higher calibers as well.

I had a student that was 8 months pregnant when she took my class. I consulted an Industrial Hygienist about lead and noise.
In his opinion, Outdoor range with lead .22 would not affect the fetus or the mother in any measurable way.

He mentioned a study done about noise levels in the womb during trap shooting. On of the numbers listed in that study was a 25 db NRR due to the amniotic fluid.
Further, a .22 lr doesn't generate enough heat to cause a significant vaporization of the bullet.

FYI, Maynard Rod and Gun has a Women on Target event on July21st, if you are interested.

It's not just the lead, but sound transmission into the womb. A study done with sheep and transducers confirmed this is a real issue.
From the above mentions study
Exposure to 20 rounds of howitzer-level impulses produced permanent damage to the fetal inner ear. (170 db)

American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists

Pregnant women should avoid steady-state noise levels over 115 dB (that’s really loud and not commonly found outside of heavy industry and the military) and impulses over 155 dB. Consequently, pregnant women should avoid shooting weapons that are more powerful than a .22 caliber rifle or pistol. It makes good sense for pregnant women to avoid loud equipment as well, particularly if their bodies come in contact with the devices.
Take all the advice, do your own research and make an informed decision.
Good Luck and Congratulations!

and what is the risk of you having a loaded firearm in the house that she picks up so she can clean the table it is sitting on?
I would think knowing how to handle a firearm safely is a big impetus to take a class before there are firearms in the house.

hogwash. there will be no "lead" exposure if done outside or in a proper club. Just have her wash her hands well after shooting. The noises will filter thru to the kid, expect him/her dancing around a little.

That would be jumping up and down with joy, screaming "let me shoot next"

There has been a lot of bad advice in this thread by people who don't know what they are talking about. A gun forum is obviously not the best place to get pregnancy advice...
The fetus starts developing hearing in the second trimester (week 16) and guns shots can damage the baby's hearing so your wife should wait with the shooting.

If you are still not sure what to do, consult with an OB/GYN and they will tell you what to do.

There has been a lot of bad advice in this thread by people who don't know what they are talking about. A gun forum is obviously not the best place to get pregnancy advice...
The fetus starts developing hearing in the second trimester (week 16) and guns shots can damage the baby's hearing so your wife should wait with the shooting.

If you are still not sure what to do, consult with an OB/GYN and they will tell you what to do.

Wow talk about paradoxical advice. The last person that anyone would want to bring up a firearms related topic these days to is a physician. Remember gun control is now a public health issue and anything you say may be held against you at some future date.

In times past, your advice would have been spot on. Our helpful and friendly physician = gone, replaced by Dr Dogooder who is going to socially engineer our life and dictate our lifestyle and backed by .gov mandates on healthcare.

Sad, isn't, when you can't trust your own physicians and when it comes to firearms Doctors are now becoming our new friends the way the police are: NOT !!!

And isn't that precisely the very same argument that the anti's use verbatim to want to take away our guns? If even one child is killed by an unattended firearm, or in a school shooting, then we better give up all guns. Your choice of words has put you on a very slippery slope IMO. So where do you draw the line?

As someome who cannot hear very well, my post was in regard to hearing alone. I never said anything about taking any guns away "for the children".

I think you are stretching things a bit on this. Everything is about choices and she is going to make up her own mind. If she doesn't consider hearing loss (potentially) then so be it. Sign language is easier to learn at a young age, so I'm told.

I respect your telling like it is but think I'm right in this.

-John

-Trolling via S3.-

Last edited:
John,

I can relate to the hearing loss, down to about 60 percent loss in my left ear and 20 percent loss in my right, I get that part. When we start using the "for the children cliche" however, we begin to sound like those who would oppose us.

I'd like to say that my hearing loss is solely due to exposure to gunfire, but there have been multiple contributing factors including infection as well as noise exposure. The silver lining in this dark cloud is that I frequently am able to tune out my wife. "Oh, sorry I didn't take out the trash, I didn't hear you dear" [wink]

Mark

. One minute she wants to do it and the next she saying she can't cause of A, B and C.
Duh - she's pregnant!

My brother described a morning where his pregnant wife

- called him at the office raging about something he left on the kitchen table.
- then called back five minutes later, crying over how she'd spoken to him.

Wait til she starts nesting....

O yeah I'm going through the now she spazzes out about any and everything. Then minutes later she'll be on the couch like babe come sit with me, let's cuddle and watch a movie. I need to get a spray bottle of holy water and cleanse her lmao

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Well I really don't think it is your business to tell me that because I believe suicide is an inalienable right. If you are teaching me gun safety, that is a different matter of course.

You want to shoot yourself have at it. I will warn that it's gonna leave a mark though.

^ This. Sound advice, provided that...

The last person that anyone would want to bring up a firearms related topic these days to is a physician. Remember gun control is now a public health issue... you can't trust your own physicians...

^ This is not true. mark056 raises a good point but it is a generalization: some doctors are pro 2A, many are not. But they have an ability to offer sound advice on the topic provided they aren't drinking from the "all guns are bad" fountain. If you trust your physician to provide a non judgmental, unbiased opinion, I would say that is your best bet.

Ok the wife and I have been trying for kids for a few years and thank God today I can say that I have a 9 day old little girl. There is nothing that can't wait a few months. I personally wouldn't risk it. Take a non live fire class and wash you hands or make sure the instructor is aware that you don't want to expose yourself to lead during "pass around" times of the class etc. Go shooting when you need a break from changing diapers.
This is the best way, like Mike said the risk is easy to avoid. The non-shooting course which we all teach will meet the requirements to apply for your LTC. You can always get more instruction from an instructor and honestly everyone needs more instruction after taking a basic firearms safety course if they are new shooters. I've been shooting for about 40 years, I'm basic firearms instructor, and I still take courses to learn from other instructors.

^ This. Sound advice, provided that...

^ This is not true. mark056 raises a good point but it is a generalization: some doctors are pro 2A, many are not. But they have an ability to offer sound advice on the topic provided they aren't drinking from the "all guns are bad" fountain. If you trust your physician to provide a non judgmental, unbiased opinion, I would say that is your best bet.
As you said, not all doctors are anti gun. I was pretty happy to see that our pediatrician for our infant daughter posted a pro gun comment in the local patch on a gun article [smile]

Question, do you have to identify yourself when seeing a doctor even if you pay cash? I don't think so, but maybe someone else has a more definite answer.

In one class shooting 50 rounds of .22 in a well ventilated range I strongly doubt the lead level will matter. Levels buildup over time with continued exposure. Take a class and don't worry. Wear a NIOSH N95 mask if you really want to, but I sincerely doubt it matters.

I agree. Best practice is to just not live fire at all.

BUT . . . .

When my wife and I were trying to get pregnant we wore N98 rated masks, hat (to keep the dust from falling on our heads and hair and jackets to at least mitigate the lead inhalation during live fire.

Afterwards we used lead wipes, changed our clothes then took a shower immediately after getting home.

Our daughter is now pretty awesome and lead free.

We did not go shooting while pregnant. Just while we were trying to get pregnant.

I agree. Best practice is to just not live fire at all.

BUT . . . .

When my wife and I were trying to get pregnant we wore N98 rated masks, hat (to keep the dust from falling on our heads and hair and jackets to at least mitigate the lead inhalation during live fire.

Afterwards we used lead wipes, changed our clothes then took a shower immediately after getting home.

Our daughter is now pretty awesome and lead free.

We did not go shooting while pregnant. Just while we were trying to get pregnant.

Wow...you did all that and YOU got pregnant too? [rofl] I am always amused by this PC inclusive "we" sh**t when it comes to pregnancy. Are you sure you don't live in Cambridge? I'll bet you went to Lamaze class too and were one helluva coach [laugh]

my wife has her LTC and is 8 months pregnant everybody has told us not only the lead contact but also the sound from the shot creates a shockwave that isn't good for baby either. And if you think all is well after the baby comes your SOL again. Doctor says if your planning on breast feeding to stay away from the lead once again as well.

In one class shooting 50 rounds of .22 in a well ventilated range I strongly doubt the lead level will matter. Levels buildup over time with continued exposure. Take a class and don't worry. Wear a NIOSH N95 mask if you really want to, but I sincerely doubt it matters.
This will not help against the noise and indoor ranges can be VERY loud.

Back
Top Bottom