• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pregnant Wanting To Take A Firearm Safety Course.

So my wife has all a sudden been a big supporter of me going for my LTC. Well she's never really mentioned anything to me about wanting to get her LTC as well, INTILL yesterday I had a get together and some women I know who have there LTC's came by. The wife started talking with them and OF COURSE the women showed her there flipping pink guns. NOW the wife has got her mind set she wants to go for her LTC, So I'm like awesome lets add another expensive hobby next to her dozen purses and boat loads of sneakers. The question I have though is she is 5 months pregnant and she wanted me to ask this question on here and she said thanks for replies ahead of time. With her being pregnant CAN she do a firearm safety course, I know they prefer live fire courses and didn't know if she would be allowed to do the course being pregnant?

I wouldn't...you don't want your wife exposed to any type of lead....IMO.

I don't see why not. They take like 5 shots with a .22.

You should call the school. See if you can get a 2 for 1 deal. Maybe they would issue 2 applications one for your wife and 1 for your child on the way.

Yeah I tried explaining it to her, but with her never firing a gun before ect.. and this being all new to her she wasn't understanding why it would he a issue. I'll have her read you guy's comments then she'll understand it isn't just me thinking she should wait.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If she wants to take a class without shooting, then that's fine. If she wants to do shooting, she might be better off waiting. Even more so if the class uses an indoor range. I don't know what class RK1717 went to, but the one I went to with my daughter we shot 22 and 9mm, and far more than five rounds.

My daughter in law wants to shoot, but she's going to wait until after she has the baby next month.

I would think the noise would be more of a concern than the lead. The baby has no earmuffs to protect it's hearing.

-Trolling via S3.-

Yeah I tried explaining it to her, but with her never firing a gun before ect.. and this being all new to her she wasn't understanding why it would he a issue. I'll have her read you guy's comments then she'll understand it isn't just me thinking she should wait.

First, congrats on the baby on the way and that your wife is both interested in sharing your hobby. Also, good on you for doing a bit of research on her behalf.

As others have said, she should probably wait until after the baby is born. The first risk is that of lead exposure - not just from the rounds she handles/fires but also from dust and such in the range where you're learning together. It's a relatively small risk, but it's one that can be easily avoided at no additional cost or effort so it makes no sense not to avoid it. After all, lead is a neurotoxic heavy metal that can cause developmental damage and learning disabilities.

Some people also worry about the noise/vibration impacting on the fetus. I think that risk is going to be even smaller than the lead risk (if it's there at all) but why take the chance when it costs nothing (money or opportunity) to wait a few months.

Regardless, the important thing for both of you with a new child on the way will be making sure you wash your hands thoroughly after sessions at the range and no eating/drinking/smoking at the range or after until you've washed thoroughly. Don't want any lead in your own system nor do you want to be bringing it home for the newest family member.

Thank Snake, Yeah were she is having the baby in October and I'm still in process of getting my LTC a couple month's to avoid risk is smarter then taking a risk with my child. I also have her cousin whom lives with us getting his safety course done as well just off the fact if there going to be firearms in my house I don't want them being nervous or paranoid.

Originally I figured "why not?" but in thinking of this, I would agree.

Lead and cordite might smell great in the morning but the effects on the baby. It's probably better to hold off. It's great she wants to try your hobby and is excited about it.

Depending on the firearm, some react more and might cause additional stress. I mean shooting a .22 would probably be OK, but something like a Saiga 12ga or a FAL might also cause of undesirable effects on your newborn.

One thing I have found in going to meets and ranges is people are very open to sharing their toys and want you to try them. The camaraderie is amazing but it might be a little too much for your wife (especially as many can't tell she is pregnant).

Just MHO!

Yeah I'm glad she wants to pick up a hobby I like even though I got her hooked on xbox already when she's not working lol but it's nice if I do get my LTC I can have a hobby with her that us two can go out and enjoy without the kids. I told her what you guy's are saying and she thanks for the advice, she just going to wait till after my baby girl is born then she'll pursue it.

Anthony
Congrats on your wife and child!
This group has nailed the important points. Great job folks!
My wife came to the range with me while 5 months along, wanted to shoot the shotgun.
The baby (now 30 years old) did back-flips when the gun went off. That was the end of shooting till birth.
Was gun cleaning mentioned?
Best to do it outside, as fumes are an issue.
Best Wishes
Rick

Thank you, right now were I don't have my license and going firing with friends cleaning them hasn't been brought up. But were I'll have a 6 year old, 4 year old and a newborn anything with fumes will be done outside when the kids aren't home.

this but I say do it non-shooting and start the application process. with the new bambino you'll never find the time post birth

My thoughts exactly. Have her do a non-shooting course, get the long waits out of the way and license in hand. Once the baby arrives take a separate shooting class. I'm sure a class dedicated to shooting and not a hybrid shooting/licensing class will be more thorough anyway.

Lead affects children more severely than it does adults. Levels that an adult can tolerate are far more devastating to a child. I wouldn't gamble with my preborn by exposing him/her to lead at any level if I could avoid it.

Yeah I'm going to speak with her to either do a class without shooting for now just to get the ball rolling or waiting period intill the baby is born.

Who am I to say that I fetus might be affected by both lead and noise? By the same token, I can see how much nannyism has crept into our thinking. Better not taking a live shooting class because it is for the kid. You see where this is going? Better not take this risk, better not take that risk...and that my friends is what is so wrong with society today.

Yeah, I am not the prospective parent, but it would seem to me that in a modern range that meets the environmental standard, the lead issue would be negligible. To what degree the noise would be a factor, I don't know.

I think the .gov and the pansy assed environmentalists have done a pretty good job of scaring us. People of my generation grew up in houses with lead paint, with mothers who smoked cigarettes and consumed alcohol during pregnancy, yet we somehow managed to survive.

I'm not telling or suggesting to anyone that they not take due diligence, but maybe the concern is overstated. IMO, YMMV

Who am I to say that I fetus might be affected by both lead and noise? By the same token, I can see how much nannyism has crept into our thinking. Better not taking a live shooting class because it is for the kid. You see where this is going? Better not take this risk, better not take that risk...and that my friends is what is so wrong with society today.

Yeah, I am not the prospective parent, but it would seem to me that in a modern range that meets the environmental standard, the lead issue would be negligible. To what degree the noise would be a factor, I don't know.

I think the .gov and the pansy assed environmentalists have done a pretty good job of scaring us. People of my generation grew up in houses with lead paint, with mothers who smoked cigarettes and consumed alcohol during pregnancy, yet we somehow managed to survive.

I'm not telling or suggesting to anyone that they not take due diligence, but maybe the concern is overstated. IMO, YMMV

When my son was born, he was over 9 lbs!

The Obstetrition lookd at my wife after and said, "We usually prefer them a bit smaller when they are born!"

My waif said, "Shit...you mean I could have smoked more?"

My wife shot for the first few months until my daughter didn't like the noise anymore and would freak out in there

Back
Top Bottom