• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pregnancy and lead exposure...

FMH2016

NES Member
Looking for any advice or info on what i need to be concerned about/avoid in the next 9 months...Went to the range today and the mrs is freaaaaaking out ....Any help or info would be greatly appreciated guys!

Wife shot while preganant outside washed hands when done. Doctor said it was ok. He said the only two no go things were horseback riding and motorcycles.

I looked into this a lot when my wife got pregnant. 2 major things came into factor for my wife shooting, No contact with lead, plus the shockwave from the shots themself can affect baby. As for dad shooting as long as you wash your hands you should be find to touch the mrs.

I also learned that the wife is still a no go for shooting because she is breast feeding. no contact with lead.

- - - Updated - - -

at the end of the day you don't want to be left with the thought, (did my range trips and lead exposure mess up my kid?) whats more important range time or healthy baby? Why take the risk

nothing to worry about now the deed is already done. after your offspring is born, shower (& change clothes obviously) after range trip before handling that precious addition to your family---congrats

Shes very early on but went she went insane mode on me which i shrugged off...but now im paranoid...i cant imagine having a baby that has problems because of some stupid move i made...She will not be shooting and i imagine i will slow down big time on the range sessions. I have in our master bedroom a huge walk in closet with a 20 gun safe and then an adjoining safe with a lot of ammo..All that stuff is stable but i also have a lot of used brass in the closet for when i get into reloading. I imagine that is probably the thing i have to worry about? The used brass? I'm rambling here i apologize but i'm pretty concerned now that she went crazy. Thanks again guys.

nothing to worry about now the deed is already done. after your offspring is born, shower (& change clothes obviously) after range trip before handling that precious addition to your family---congrats
Wait, what? Which "done deed" are you talking about? Conceiving or going to the range? If you're talking about the range, I agree - no big deal. Kalashkid, take a shower and wash your clothes and I can't see it being much of an issue at all. If you're talking about the fact that the baby is already conceived and is safe til he/she is born, no way. If the mother gets lead poisoning, the fetus will suffer.

Like I said, though, the risk from the father going to the range is really negligible with basic precautions.

NOIZE!!!!!!!!

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

There were a lot of people born around lead paint, etc, etc, etc.

For the most part this is a non issue unless you wife tends to gnaw on window sills, lick cast bullets of likes sniffing your tumbling media.

Just do the things you're already supposed to be doing, wash your hands and don't shoot in crappy, unventilated indoor ranges.

We have three kids and my wife shoots. None of them came out with an odd number of appendages or like rainman.

@Kalashkid,

Very early on when the most rapid & profound fetal development is taking place is the MOST critical time of any pregnancy. I don't have the source, but recall reading that your wife should also add some plain yogurt to her diet if she's not eating regularly. There is some chemistry involved, but my understanding is that the lead residue will "bind" to the calcium and then be "passed" out of her system. Perhaps someone with a background in fetal development and/or bio-chem can confirm this for me.

Brad

All that stuff is stable but i also have a lot of used brass in the closet for when i get into reloading. I imagine that is probably the thing i have to worry about?
Move the brass out of the room. Probably not a problem, but there is no way of knowing what kind of dust is in there. 5-gallon pails with snap-on lids work great. Congratulations and best wishes.

My wife is also pregnant. The doctor told us to just limit the amount of shooting, shoot outside and keep it to smaller calibers. They also said if your wife enjoys shooting the baby can tell and will also enjoy it. If she is afraid or not comfortable behind a gun then the baby will also be stressed.

Shes very early on but went she went insane mode on me which i shrugged off...but now im paranoid...i cant imagine having a baby that has problems because of some stupid move i made...She will not be shooting and i imagine i will slow down big time on the range sessions. I have in our master bedroom a huge walk in closet with a 20 gun safe and then an adjoining safe with a lot of ammo..All that stuff is stable but i also have a lot of used brass in the closet for when i get into reloading. I imagine that is probably the thing i have to worry about? The used brass? I'm rambling here i apologize but i'm pretty concerned now that she went crazy. Thanks again guys.

Unless you're shaking it around, or running your fingers through the used brass on a regular basis, I wouldn't be concerned. Whatever is on the brass will tend to remain there unless it is disturbed. If you want to play it completely safe just move the brass into sealed containers, plastic bags, whatever.

Congrats on the new addition to the family!

My daughter was born 3 weeks ago. The lead was one of the few things that my wife did not freak out about while being pregnant. Then again my wife knows nothing about shooting. I just made sure to wash my hands afterwards. I also didn't shoot inside while she was pregnant. I don't shoot inside very often, this was not planned it was more because I was too busy to go shooting too often during the pregnancy.

Just follow basic lead safety measures and she and the baby will be fine.

How times have changed...In times of old fathers would warn their daughter's suitors about the dangers of pregnancy and lead exposure... but in a different way!

Congrats..

Congrats
Brass and such undisturbed in a safe should not be an issue.
As others have said, wash hands well after an range trip, Wash clothes ect.
But the most important thing you need to learn to survive the next 9 months is two words.."Yes Dear". [wink]

I looked into this a lot when my wife got pregnant. 2 major things came into factor for my wife shooting, No contact with lead, plus the shockwave from the shots themself can affect baby. As for dad shooting as long as you wash your hands you should be find to touch the mrs.

I also learned that the wife is still a no go for shooting because she is breast feeding. no contact with lead.

- - - Updated - - -

at the end of the day you don't want to be left with the thought, (did my range trips and lead exposure mess up my kid?) whats more important range time or healthy baby? Why take the risk

this. I got corrected a while ago when I said I would personally shoot while pregnant and someone pointed out the effects of the concussive force on the baby. As for lead exposure, not an issue really. If you want to make her feel good just tell her you will wash and change clothes before touching her.

well yeah lead is a problem for little kids.
so what do u do? Wash your hands thoroughly at the range after you are done shooting. Keep your range bag far away from where the kid can crawl to. Put your clothes in the laundry when you get home, and go take a shower and wash your hair really well.

maybe you switch to copper jacketed bullets and do not get any lead dust on you that way. Maybe you choose the outdoor range over the indoor one.

Lead powder, in minute amounts, is going to get onto your body as you shoot. The stuff is sticky, so you have to scrub up pretty good to get it all off.

If you did all that, there would be zero chance of any lead absorption in the kid. And most of us do little more than wash our hands well after shooting!

Back
Top Bottom