Preferred 3" 1911 for Carry: Kimber vs. Colt

Which 3" 1911 for carry would you prefer

• Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ Crimson Trace Grips

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Colt Defender

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Why would I carry a gun designed 100 years ago?

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Rockrivr1

NES Member
If you had two and only two choices for a 3" 1911 to carry which would you choose?

Options:

Stainless Kimber Ultra Carry II W/ Laser Grips

or

Stainless Colt Defender

I have heard of the Kimber issues, but for this discussion I'm going with both will function properly out of the box.

So which would you prefer?

I had a Kimber Ultra CDP II that was a great gun. Never had any of the issues folks talk about and fed everything reliably. I really liked the front strap checkering on the Kimber, it fit like a glove!

I had a Kimber Ultra CDP II that was a great gun. Never had any of the issues folks talk about and fed everything reliably. I really liked the front strap checkering on the Kimber, it fit like a glove!

Yeah, I'm not buying all the hype that Kimbers all suck. I've shot many, just not owned one.

I had a hard on for a Kimber a few years back but it faded. I own a few Colt's. For a little more than the price of a Kimber you could have a very nice custom Colt

Preferred 3" 1911 for Carry: Kimber vs. Colt

Not a kimber fan boy, that said the factory dehorn job on the only cdp ii I have handled was awesome. I don’t think there was a sharp edge on it anywhere.
Not sure if that’s the same you are looking at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hmm what made you choose these two for 3" carry models and not other brands? there are plenty of 3" 1911's out there.

I was wondering the same thing. In my case I have a S&W 3" 1911 however my decision was based solely on the fact that I had a coupon for 35% off any S&W I wanted to buy.

Also I am not sure about carrying mine. I have not shot it a lot however it does have a crisp pop to it and the recoil is fairly higher compared to my 9mm Shield. I have enough trigger time on the 9mm to hit what i want. I would have to spend some serious trigger time with the 1911 before I would carry it.

Last edited:
Ive never handled a colt, but when I wanted to buy a .45 I rented a handful, and the 3" Kimber 1911 was the sole steel frame in the bunch. I loved how it felt in my hand, and how comfortable it was to shoot. If it had been easy to find in MA, I would have one in the safe instead of the S&W 3" 1911 I bought in its place.

I don't know the kimber,but I do the Colt.So I would go with the Colt.

I have no preference. I've owned Colt and Kimber 1911s and both shot fine. Why carry a gun designed 100 years ago? For the same reason the M2 .50 is still in use. It still does the job as well or better than anything developed since.

If you had two and only two choices for a 3" 1911 to carry which would you choose?

Options:

Stainless Kimber Ultra Carry II W/ Laser Grips

or

Stainless Colt Defender

I have heard of the Kimber issues, but for this discussion I'm going with both will function properly out of the box.

So which would you prefer?

I didn't have a Kimber but did have a SS Defender for 4 years.. Not one issue.. pleasure to shoot. Was a bit too heavy for me to carry so I sold it and got a P938.

I've had a Colt, 3", 38 super, a .45acp and 9mm defender. All very good hand guns. I presently have a Smith , 3" pro series, 45acp and a 3" Kimber , 45acp. The Smith doesn't like to cycle with Hornady , 185 grain ammo. The Kimber just keeps on running. It's like a Timex.

Back
Top Bottom