Predator Season 2018/19

pupchow

NES Member
While I most likely won't be pursuing predators during archery season, I'm stocking up now and ordered some Winchester Varmint X to try. Places seem well stocked with the typical loads for night hunting (MA). That was not the case last season.
Winchester_VarmintX_Shotgun_load.jpg

Should be comparable to the Hornady loads being that it's copper plated shot. I've heard the shotlok does pattern well in the turkey loads, let us know how the BB patterns.

My buddy and I are going to start getting out for coyote after deer season ends. He wants some fur and we both want to try eating it at least once. Still not sure if I’ll take out the shotgun, AR, or .22 though.

Should be comparable to the Hornady loads being that it's copper plated shot. I've heard the shotlok does pattern well in the turkey loads, let us know how the BB patterns.

Sent some downrange today, out of the Versa Max Tactical. Using Remington Pro Bore Full and Turkey/Predator choke tubes. At 40 yds, the pattern was terrific from either. At 50 yards, the Full choke had the slightly denser pattern. But I was using smallish. 18" target boards, so I didn't get the entire spread on the target. I'm going to get some larger targets, and bring my Mossberg 535 for some additional patterning.

Hardware: Winchester Varmint X Shotshell

Good to hear, I love my versa-max tactical. I've had it since they released it.

Typically I run hevi-shot #2 so I can shoot any predator, for that I use a patternmaster code black turkey choke. Same if I run hevi-shot "T" i'll use the patternmaster.

My favorite loads are the Federal heavyweight coyote and those use the flight control wads so I just use the factory improved cylinder flush choke. Patterns amazing at 35 & 50 yards.

Do you have a red-dot on your versa? If not i'd highly suggest it, zero it to the center of your pattern.

I'm going head back to the range once I get some larger backer boards, so I get the full pattern to work with. I'm also going to run some shells through IC/Mod. As much as I like the Dead Coyote, it's $$$ and not easy to find. There was plenty of this Varmint X to be had. Good idea with the #2. I keep some handy but rarely have it loaded.

Bead sight on the Versa Max. I've got a Vortex RDS that might be a good fit for it.

Just curious but you can get 1 1/2 ounce of lead shot in a 2 3/4" shell, why get 3" with the same payload?

They all come as 3.00" shells.

and.... if you shoot 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber gun, the recoil should be a bit less.

The trouble is, you can't shoot 3" out of a shotgun made for 2 3/4; and I am not seeing anything like this offered for 2 3/4 size. This is why I posted this thread:
Anyone reload 12 ga in Worcester area?

Looks like we'll get some tracking snow on the ground this weekend. If this sinus infection would clear, I might get a stand or two in.

Mounted a red dot (TRS25) on the Versa Max, and dialed it in with some of that Winchester Varmint X, through the Remington predator choke again.

This time I used 30" targets, and this showed exactly how well that combination worked. I'm very satisfied with this option for shots inside 50 yards, without paying the premium price for Hevi Shot Dead Coyote.

I do need to swap that red dot out for a better one though. That was a good suggestion using the rds in lieu of the bead, as the pattern is super tight.

BTW, gift wrap paper comes in 30" widths, and some have 1"grids on the back. Perfect for patterning.

I was out last night with a buddy. Tried calling in 3 different locations, all open areas, surrounded by woods. Set up so they would hopefully come in downwind. Thought i saw a small heat signature in some thick stuff but it never showed itself. Struck out! First of many hunts to come this year. Still had a good time. Good luck to all you yote yodlers!

They are outside my house making a racket every single night.
They've been vocal here for about two weeks now. Still too under the weather myself to make a stand. Tonight should be mint for animal movement. Poked my head out the back door just now, and... IMG021.jpeg

Buddy and I went out yesterday morning. New spot. Sat in a patch of brush and called around some large farm fields. Nothing.

He’s been out a few time alone. Had some action but none have quite come within range.

My neighbor said the pack of coyotes drove a deer off the cliffs near us this week. He said the only thing that was left was skin and fur, and then they ate the skin the next day. Smart hunters. I may go out and look for tracks after I snowblow, before the game.

I haven't done any locating yet, but I've got a baitcicle setting up now and will deploy it tomorrow. Finally feeling up to heading outside after three weeks of flu/sinus misery.

Back
Top Bottom