• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Predator Season 2018/19

Skunked yesterday. Was out past sunset with my trusty 22lr.

I was out Saturday until about sunset. I had my scoped single shot .22 bolt action with me, just in case I decided to stay past dusk.
Nothing moving whatsoever. Not even a slight breeze. No animals at all to be seen or heard. Only the sound of route 6a traffic off in the distance. It was very peaceful. I've fallen asleep in the woods on similar hunts. ;)

Got out last night for the first time this season. A couple of raccoons were the only critters to cross my path, and I let them have a pass. This time.

Would a 5.7x28 pistol be ok at night, for yotes?
Smaller case capacity than a .38spcl.
Thoughts?
The consensus on this forum has been inconclusive in my opinion...

I would say absolutely but others would say no I bet. I also believe that a .223 pistol is fine though.

Proceed at your own risk.

The consensus on this forum has been inconclusive in my opinion...

I would say absolutely but others would say no I bet. I also believe that a .223 pistol is fine though.

Proceed at your own risk.

"Nobody knows!"

(do a search, it seems to be catchy around here)

I'm not even hearing any at night near the house. I haven't for months.

The coming temps are perfect for bait-cicle making, though.

Did some recon/locating this afternoon, with the fresh snowfall. No vocal returns, one set of fresh coyote tracks that doubled back which was headed in my direction. Plenty of deer activity, too. All good signs. Bagged a bobcat yesterday. PITA finding a place to have it checked.

Did some recon/locating this afternoon, with the fresh snowfall. No vocal returns, one set of fresh coyote tracks that doubled back which was headed in my direction. Plenty of deer activity, too. All good signs. Bagged a bobcat yesterday. PITA finding a place to have it checked.

Nice job on Bobcat! Details.

Nice job on Bobcat! Details.
Watched it for an hour to see if it was running solo. During that time the cat was also involved in a 10 minute stare-down with a grey squirrel, before the cat lunged and the squirrel escaped up the tree. Cat came around after that and presented a good opportunity for the Versa Max. Two hour round trip to a DFW office to get it sealed.

Scouted before dawn this morning several yotes hitting my bait. Got them on cam. Looking forward to hammering them next weekend. Looks like some nice hide as well.

My backyard and woods is full of fresh yote tracks. I need to go sit out with my call and see what I can see.
Thinking of 12 ga, 30" barrel full choke with turkey loads. Not a lot of room for rifle. Never called one in to shoot.... Killed 2 while deer hunting....
Thick as fleas around here....

My backyard and woods is full of fresh yote tracks. I need to go sit out with my call and see what I can see.
Thinking of 12 ga, 30" barrel full choke with turkey loads. Not a lot of room for rifle. Never called one in to shoot.... Killed 2 while deer hunting....
Thick as fleas around here....

Get to it! You will have a blast if they come to your call. I have used 7 1/2shot and dropped them in their tracks at close range, so Turkey loads will be fine. Be ready, as they sometimes come in pretty fast. I guess it depends on how convincing your calling is. Pelts are already on the decline. Guess it doesn’t matter too much as Eastern coyote pelts are not worth anything anyways. Regardless.....still an exciting hunt.
Good Luck!

Not a lot of action these past few days. I got swarmed by a flock of black-capped chickadees, after using the e-caller for bobcats. They were perched on my knee, arm, head... I escaped unharmed and unsoiled. That was the day it warmed up to 60°, which also drew a bunch of flies out. No mammals seen.

The following day I attempted a late night sit over bait, and spotted a few flying squirrels while scanning with the thermal monocular. The wind kicked up and started knocking tree limbs down, so I cut that action short. Those flying squirrels are a trip at night. You'll hear them crashing once in a while but they can climb a tree with a quickness, and are very skilled gliders.

Season wrap up.

Didn't get out much due to illness, and I didn't venture out this season, preferring to stay close to areas I deer hunt. Had only one coyote captured on trail cam but many bobcats. One bobcat seen and taken this season, and no coyotes seen.

Time to get the fly fishing gear ready, and maybe bag some crows.

Same here.....only got out 2x. They just weren’t around when I was out.
Had one show up 3 nights in a row in my back yard. Full moon and snow. By the time I got to the window with the 22, he/she was gone. I put out a deer rib cage I had in my bait freezer. He never came back. Can’t say I blame him, haha. Most paranoid animals I have ever had the pleasure to watch.
Oh well, hunting season will be here before we know it!

Back
Top Bottom