• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Precision" vs. "Blue Value" A-ZOOM 12ga Snap Caps...?

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
I have a few of the "original" A-Zoom Precision 12ga snap caps and want to add a few more, but I have a question to anyone here that can answer it.

Are they the same except for color? Same quality, weight, durability? The "Blues" are half the price of the original maroon "Precision" rounds. They look the same, except for color.

I looked at Lyman's website and surfed a while but no data.

Anyone fancy a go...?

Can't speak to either of those brands. But I did purchase these.
https://www.amazon.com/B-Unique-Ent...ique+12+gauge&qid=1558392735&s=gateway&sr=8-1

They're not cheap but I already have their 9mm and 5.56 versions, so I had a good feeling they would be of the same quality. Box of 9 was $35?!? Had 2 hang up the first go while trying to chamber, I might just have been too gentle. I think since everything is all brand new they were just a little tight. They all chamber and eject perfectly now. Look and feel exactly like 2-¾" 12 gauge rounds, same weight as well. Rubber primer for dry firing, same plastic material as real rounds, brass base does get slightly dented by the ejcetor, but I don't see that being a long term problem. Wish they had DUMMY or INERT printed on them because at a quick glance you'd have a hard time telling the difference. Wish they were about half the price, but, nothing with this hobby seems to be all that inexpensive.

Not sure if any of this helps, just another possible brand to look at.

Edit- after looking at the Lyman website, 9 for $35 seems right in line if not cheaper than 5 for $20 of those blue aluminum jobbies.

Wow. You ain't kidding Tink, I'd have trouble in low-light conditions with those...
Definitely don't want to store near your live ammo.

712mFEmjspL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
The A-Zooms are all one color...
The "Blue Value" all aluminum, hard-anodized I can get 5-packs for $14.14 at Brownells.

iipsrv.fcgi
ly12311.jpg

Are the A-Zooms a similar weight to live shells? That’s what drew me to the B-unique stuff. The weight and feel are identical across the board. Maybe too identical in this case.

The "original" maroon A-Zooms that I use are nice and heavy, like a live round.
I don't know about the "Blue Value" ones, but my guess is they are about the same.

What I don't understand is, if they are identical to the original "Precision" snaps, (maroon) then why are the maroon snaps more expensive? If color is the only difference...what gives?

Why would you want snap caps to simulate the weight of a real shell? I want to know which are real and what are snappers. I had a bird knife that looked like a 12 Ga shell. I cannot tell you how many times I dropped that in a chamber. I stopped carrying that.

I used to take empty shells, cut them down in length, punch out the primer and insert a nylon thread screw and then filed the head off flat. I'd replace these screws a few times a year and maybe the shell as well for a less than a couple bucks.

Back
Top Bottom