Precision Rifles?

Im new to bolt actions and im looking to buy a nice one in .308. i have various ARs and its time i own one of these. Ive done a lot of looking around and find myself always looking at Remington 700 variants. Also Savages and Weatherby are on the list. The one that catches my eye and ive shot before is the 700 Target Tactical, im really drawn towards the ergonomics. I always consult NES before my purchases. Id love any feedback, thank you.

Last edited:
The current crop of Savages seems to be cleaning the clock of the production competition, and doing so right out of the box. The reason appears to have to do with the mechanics of barrel fixing, which in essence allows Savage to control headspace as part of the assembly process, versus as part of the reaming process. Savage chambers tend to be tight and consistent, with short throats, all of which contributes to out of the box accuracy.

Add the Accu-Trigger, and you have a winner.

Mine is a Model 12 VLP, with a stainless barrel, stainless action, and laminated wood stock. The load is 42.2 grains of Reloder 15, pushing a 168 grain SMK in Winchester brass. What took a bit was to find the jump sweet spot (for my rifle it was 15 thou off the lands, which translates to a COAL of 2.791", but your rifle will differ).

What took a bit was to find the jump sweet spot (for my rifle it was 15 thou off the lands, which translates to a COAL of 2.791", but your rifle will differ).

This is interesting because I load a 168 sierra HPBT at 2.86" and this is touching the lands in my savage. (Not jammed mind you, just barely touching the lands)

Snipercental is a good deal. Also go with savage or REM thy have much more after market toys to choose from. Check out Howa also, Jose has one sweet rifle built in that gun

This is interesting because I load a 168 sierra HPBT at 2.86" and this is touching the lands in my savage. (Not jammed mind you, just barely touching the lands)

Sierra has two bullets that look similar but don't have exactly the same shape: the 165-gr Game King and the 168-gr Match King. I use the latter, and using a Stoney Point gauge, got 2.8055" repeatedly for a touching-the-lands COAL for my rifle. 2.860" strikes me as a long throat, even for a Remington. Beyond that, I have no explanation without seeing the rifle.

You can buy a Remington 700, pay out the backside to have it bedded in an aftermarket stock, the action trued, bottom metal installed and $80 magazines, and new trigger, costing up to $2500...or you could buy a Savage. I recommend the 10PC with 5R rifling. It comes with the accutrigger/stock, detachable mag, threaded barrel w/ 5R rifling, and all the Savage goodness and moondust that makes them shoot like they do, under $800. I am biased, I love them.

Sniper Central is nice and has a lot of good info, I just wish it didn't take them up to 6 months to assemble and ship a rifle. I called and they said they are extremely backed up and even a basic package they offer will take at least 4 months minimum.

Back
Top Bottom