Precision Rifle Winter Blast!

Noob here too! How far are the furthest targets? Been trying to get my dope for my 6.5CM just so damn busy. I have access to a 500yd range, is that enough dope or you guys shooting further than that?

Noob here too! How far are the furthest targets? Been trying to get my dope for my 6.5CM just so damn busy. I have access to a 500yd range, is that enough dope or you guys shooting further than that?

There should be targets out to 980yds or so. If you have dope to 500, you can use a ballistic app to give you corrections out further. Also, if you’re new, coaching is allowed. Your squad mates will be able to help you out.

Woah, this sounds awesome. Not sure I got the skills for that yet. Any objections to coming to watch / ease drop?

Spectators are always welcome. It’s quite common. Just let the MD know you’re there to observe. Extra spotters are always welcome too. If you’ve got a scope or binos, bring them along. It’s more entertaining as well.

Any tips on how to prepare for this or similar future PRS events? I only have access to 300 yards max, is it even possible to prepare for 980(!) yard shots with this limited range? Should I just give up hope of doing this kind of match?

It’s definitely possible. Check out this post from a couple months ago:

Any tips on how to prepare for this or similar future PRS events? I only have access to 300 yards max, is it even possible to prepare for 980(!) yard shots with this limited range? Should I just give up hope of doing this kind of match?
If you have a 100 yard zero and capable of 1 MOA or better, just get one of the Apps like Geoballistics and carefully input your data. You will need confirmed speed of your load along with rifle data and the rest of the ammo data. I only have access to 300 also and went last year there in March to my first match trying PRS and made a shot out at 980 first time trying past 300 so it can be done with some preparation. It is just a club match and coaching is OK for new guys as Dave said. It is a lot of fun and can be expensive if you really get into it but you can use what you have. I did my first match with a benchrest scope, it was challenging to say the least, I learned a LOT. I will be there.

I just created a separate thread on what I am doing to prepare for my first PRS match. Its not the only way, the best way, or maybe not even a correct way, but its just what I am doing . It should work.

I had previously done a post not too long ago on what I did to shot 1000 yards for the first time. I had not shot farther than 300 yards in preparing to go out to 1000 and it worked. So don't give up. just go do it!

So I have a100 yard and 200 yard zero. Heading this week to get a 300 yard zero. I’m not going to adjust the scope right off with a cold barrel. Question though is how many 6.5 cm rounds do you consider enough to warm the barrel before you’ll adjust your scope?

oh and I’ll admit I’m an idiot! I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that I was shooting Hornady 147 gr Match rounds. Using the Hornady calculator my adjustment were not matching the calculators. Yesterday I was perusing my ammo and come to fine out I’m shooting 140 gr Match. No wonder my adjustments were off. Idiot!

So I have a100 yard and 200 yard zero. Heading this week to get a 300 yard zero. I’m not going to adjust the scope right off with a cold barrel. Question though is how many 6.5 cm rounds do you consider enough to warm the barrel before you’ll adjust your scope?

oh and I’ll admit I’m an idiot! I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that I was shooting Hornady 147 gr Match rounds. Using the Hornady calculator my adjustment were not matching the calculators. Yesterday I was perusing my ammo and come to fine out I’m shooting 140 gr Match. No wonder my adjustments were off. Idiot!

Lol. Good thing you noticed now and not halfway through a match.

As to the cold barrel, here’s an idea. You can always keep your rifle in your vehicle with the heat on until right before you shoot to simulate warmer temps. Then all you need is one or two fouling shots. I’ve done this with ammo when I wanted to test loads for summer in winter temps.

The barrel is going to get plenty warm enough within 3 shots either way. Ambient air temp will be a bigger factor I think. Air this cold is quite dense and will definitely affect zeros.

Does anyone know how critical a tripod setup is likely to be here?

Not critical at all. You’ll be tripping over tripods all day. If it’s worth using on a stage, your squad will have a few or one will be provided.

You’ll also get a chance to see, touch, and try what’s out there on the market.

I did something similar with the scope height over bore measurement in the Hornady App.
I missed a 700 yard shot and didnt know why.
I went back through my settings later and noticed it was still at the default 1.5 instead of 2.25.
I must have entered the number and not hit save.
It didnt matter inside 300.

Had a couple of noob questions for someone who might want to get into PRS

What is a good caliber to start with and grow into say shooting from 200/300 to start and out to the 1000 range in time

6.5 Creedmoor is definitely cheaper to shoot (purchasing ammo vs. reloading)
Is 338 Lapua that much better? (it is definitely more expensive to shoot)

Other calibers?

Thanks!

Couple of additional questions on top of Stryker's above. How much does temperature affect your "dope" at long ranges? So I'm heading to the range to confirm my 100, 200 and 300 yrd zeros tomorrow and the temp is only supposed to be in the 20s. Long range forecast has the 22nd at partly sunny and 49 degrees. That's almost a 30 degree temp swing. How much could that affect your longer range accuracy as you build upon you lower range zeros?

Also, besides rifle, ammo, dope and spotting scope what else would be good to bring along for the match? Shooting mat, other things?

6.5 creedmoor is cheaper and readily available, works out to 1000 (and over), no need for the expense of 338. Also it seems people are moving to heavier rifles and smaller calibers to limit recoil.

Extra mag if you have one, some stages could have a mag change and it’s also easier sometimes to drop a mag and put a new one in if you have issues mid stage.

chamber flag and a spare one, need them in when not shooting and you end up loosing them in stages occasionally.

bipod if you have one, else borrowing one is possible if you have a rail on the rifle to attach it to.

Paper towel, depending on weather it can help out for moisture under the scope caps.

Pen and paper for notes on stages and dope for the stage.

No need for a shooting mat or anything else you might not have, people have stuff and puts mats down when needed, let you borrow bags etc.

Had a couple of noob questions for someone who might want to get into PRS

What is a good caliber to start with and grow into say shooting from 200/300 to start and out to the 1000 range in time

6.5 Creedmoor is definitely cheaper to shoot (purchasing ammo vs. reloading)
Is 338 Lapua that much better? (it is definitely more expensive to shoot)

Other calibers?

Thanks!

Austaz covered most it pretty well. Most ranges limit shooters to .300 win mag or smaller. .338LM destroys range steel. PRS rules limit velocity to 3200fps also.

Terminal energy on the target is a minor consideration when choosing calibers. Most of the top shooters are shooting a 6mm around 3000fps. There are many ways to do that.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is an excellent way to get started also. Match grade, factory ammo is available from several companies for those that don’t reload. Recoil is less than .308 so it’s easier to see your misses. Recoil mitigation is a big factor in competitions.

Couple of additional questions on top of Stryker's above. How much does temperature affect your "dope" at long ranges? So I'm heading to the range to confirm my 100, 200 and 300 yrd zeros tomorrow and the temp is only supposed to be in the 20s. Long range forecast has the 22nd at partly sunny and 49 degrees. That's almost a 30 degree temp swing. How much could that affect your longer range accuracy as you build upon you lower range zeros?

Also, besides rifle, ammo, dope and spotting scope what else would be good to bring along for the match? Shooting mat, other things?

A 30 degree temperature differential will definitely affect your zero. Your ballistic app should be able to calculate most of the difference out.

I would say you could see a difference of one MOA at 300yds.

Sorry to hijack the thread (I can create a new thread if that is better)

What are you all using for scopes?

I am guessing something like a 5x25 fits the ranges you are shooting at

Thanks for letting me ask!

Most shooters are using something in 5-25x range. Anything much over that is useless as you’ll be unable to locate targets quickly. You’ll be shooting most of the match at around 16x or less. Adequate scopes can range from $500-$5000. It all depends on your budget and desires.

Be sure you’re using a First Focal Plane scope with a reticle that has correct subtensions. You don’t want an BDC reticles or hunting reticles.

The most popular scope right now is the Vortex Razr Gen2 4.5-27x with an ebr(x) reticle. Retail is $1900. It’s a tank of a scope and a great value for the price.

The Vortex Viper PST Gen2 line is also very good in the $1000 range as well as some Bushnell models.

If there’s a particular scope you’re curious about, post it here and I could give you an idea of whether it would suffice.

Nikon Black? I've been using the Monarch line from Nikon for years and have been very satisfied with the quality. Their Black series is supposedly superior to the Monarch. I've never had the opportunity to shoot beyond 300 yards and the Nikon worked well for that purpose.

Nikon Black? I've been using the Monarch line from Nikon for years and have been very satisfied with the quality. Their Black series is supposedly superior to the Monarch. I've never had the opportunity to shoot beyond 300 yards and the Nikon worked well for that purpose.

In the 10 or 15 PRS matches I’ve shot, I have yet to see anyone using a Nikon scope.

Their “Black” line does look like its tailored towards the entry level PRS crowd. It would probably work. My biggest hesitation would be that Nikon has gotten out of the riflescope business last I heard. Lack of product support and warranty are a big problem. Especially when there are plenty of other high quality options available.

Very fun day today at Granby. Learned a lot and have a new respect for long range shooters. It’s definitely a lot harder then it looks. As with any match there is a winner and a person in last place. I can joyfully say the person in last place was me with a whooping one point. Ha! I need to work out my dope a little better and get some shooting bags. Next match I see two points in my future. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom