Precision rifle from 80 percent lower

Marty McFly

NES Member
Is it possible to build a bolt action precision rifle from a 80% 308 lower? Or are the parts just off. Tried to find a thread.

Last edited:
Definitely doable. Building 308 ARs is a lot more complicated than AR-15s though. You need to ensure parts commonality all around. But fortunately, the BCGs are mostly interchangeable so you should be able to use a Kali Key or find a side charger.

Definitely doable. Building 308 ARs is a lot more complicated than AR-15s though. You need to ensure parts commonality all around. But fortunately, the BCGs are mostly interchangeable so you should be able to use a Kali Key or find a side charger.
Ok thanks. It was just a thought. But may be worth trying as a fun project

I don't see why not. The bolt is definitely locked in there while in battery. That round isn't going anywhere. The main reason why bolt-action is more accurate has to do with no gases wasted on cycling. It all goes towards the bullet.
Yeah makes sense

Yeah... I will do one hopefully when the world goes un crazy a 308 ar build. Looking into it though it's just easier to do it through one manufacturer so you make sure everything matches

Are Kali Keys mass OK?

The best AR triggers still suck compared to what‘s available for Rem 700 pattern rifles.

AR accuracy has less to do with the gas system and more to do with an aluminum receiver and loose tolerances for parts interchangeability. They can be very accurate, but they just aren’t as rigid or precise as a steel bolt action can be. 1/2 MOA is easily achievable with AR’s. 1/4 MOA will take more custom work and parts fitting.

An 80% lower shouldn’t make much difference in accuracy provided it functions. Unless the fit of the takedown pins is horrible. This can be solved with set screws, rubber wedges or other tension device. The fit of upper to lower just needs to be exactly the same from shot to shot.

Will that provide the same accuracy as a bolt?
Maybe maybe not,
Are you looking for hits on target accuracy or small groups, what diatances?

Other than to do it and have something you built with out a serial # , theres really no good reason to to build a bolt action AR10.
Build a AR 10 then for fun maybe grab a bolt upper? Thats what I would do if I went down that road.
Accuracy is highly dependent on your skill, quality ammo, very nice barrels
Then : expectations

My buddy picked up a nice old Anschutz match rifle and wonders why bulk ammo is only getting 4-5 moa?

I dont mind 308 but i know im not getting out past 600 yards often enough.
If i had regular access to 600+ i would look into other cartridges also.

they show something on that page for $16xx and $18xx at which point it gets ridiculous. tikka or bergara is cheaper and will be most likely more accurate than that, i would think.
but, why not, i guess. it is probably doable, just, really difficult to understand, why and what for.

Just a bump. RIP Queen Bee 🐝 👑

Debating whether a Kali key for an existing heavy crowned bull barrel upper with dedicated bcg or a CZ600 American in .223/5.56 is a better option. I can get a CZ600 American for about $800 right now.

Maybe maybe not,
Are you looking for hits on target accuracy or small groups, what diatances?

Other than to do it and have something you built with out a serial # , theres really no good reason to to build a bolt action AR10.
Build a AR 10 then for fun maybe grab a bolt upper? Thats what I would do if I went down that road.
Accuracy is highly dependent on your skill, quality ammo, very nice barrels
Then : expectations

My buddy picked up a nice old Anschutz match rifle and wonders why bulk ammo is only getting 4-5 moa?

I dont mind 308 but i know im not getting out past 600 yards often enough.
If i had regular access to 600+ i would look into other cartridges also Sony BDV-N8100W Speaker Installation Guide online.
I've used the forged lowers from American-made Tactical. They are good to go, but I see they've jacked the prices up $20

Their billets 80% lower are junk though. Don't buy the billets. I sent 2 of them back for being out of spec. They didn't even want to hear it. Bet $ they turned around and resold them to some poor smuck. The rear take-down pocket was too wide by like .007. Can't put metal back so they'd have been sloppy as hell.
I did build a large frame billet from them & again it was out of spec. Mag catch too low etc. It runs like a champ now but was a total PITA to get ironed out. I've got a long detailed thread on that large frame build.

Back
Top Bottom