Precision reloading for a specific gun (COAL)

Anyone have any feedback/comments/experience they want to share on reloading for a specific gun for accuracy?

Most of what I've been able to dig up seems to recommend folks begin seating projectile to somewhere between .015 and .030 off the lands to reduce bullet jump and experimenting within that range to determine most accurate COAL for your firearm.

If anyone has experience they want to share......

Assuming rifle- same headstamp brass and all prepped the same-
I think you want to get your charge hammered out first- f.p.s. consistent and your s.d./e.s. as small as possible first, then play around with o.a.l.
As far as o.a.l., I believe its lands -.020, then move up in .002 increments until you hit that node, or the 3 smallest groups in a row. Use a comparator.
If its mag fed, you're limited to mag length, so you might not be able to stretch it out that long unless you can single feed it.

You can get extra anal and watch some of the F class or Benchrest vids on the youtube and how they play around with charges and length.

Recently some good info was revealed by Mark Gordon. Worth checking out. I guess it all depends on what type of shooting you do.

I take away from it that the bullet determines how much jump, and you give the rifle what it likes for powder amount or speed. I know ignition has another factor in there too, some primers work better with different combos, but begin with jump. If the manufacturer uses 60 thou for jump, then begin there. It is very complicated when you get into custom rifles with specific headspace/ throat. I am lucky my next gun is going to shoot 105 Hybrids(I have 1000 to start with) so going by the research I will know where to start load development.

Assuming rifle- same headstamp brass and all prepped the same-
I think you want to get your charge hammered out first- f.p.s. consistent and your s.d./e.s. as small as possible first, then play around with o.a.l.
As far as o.a.l., I believe its lands -.020, then move up in .002 increments until you hit that node, or the 3 smallest groups in a row. Use a comparator.
If its mag fed, you're limited to mag length, so you might not be able to stretch it out that long unless you can single feed it.

You can get extra anal and watch some of the F class or Benchrest vids on the youtube and how they play around with charges and length.
This.

Erik Cortina has excellent videos. I recommend you watch his videos and also take a class as recommended by EC above.

Get that chrono to show consistent fps first.

Back
Top Bottom