• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Precision AR build finished...

sweet, thanks for looking. Mind me asking what you paid?
John at Remsport supplied the parts.
Can't recall what i paid. It is mil-dot but not lighted. I went to website and put the numbers in and boom, there it is. I think it was around $450.

Send me a pm with email addy and I can send a pic tonight after the little guy goes to bed.

If your running a light weight BCG, and shooting heavy loads that use slow burning powder, you might have issues with cycling. I tired the same thing using 77grn match king loaded with varget on a 22" barrel and had issues. also, with that weight, a lightweight BCG won't matter much for recoil. LW BCG's are usually used where cycle rate needs to be sped up and hot loads are used, usually above 3K fps with fast burning powder.

Last edited:
If your running a light weight BCG, and shooting heavy loads that use slow burning powder, you might have issues with cycling. I tired the same thing using 77grn match king loaded with varget on a 22" barrel and had issues. also, with that weight, a lightweight BCG won't matter much for recoil. LW BCG's are usually used where cycle rate needs to be sped up and hot loads are used, usually above 3K fps with fast burning powder.

What make on the barrel and adj. gas block?

I viewed White Oaks's site for their barrels. They have so many. When you have a moment, please send me a link on the exact one used. Thanks, Rifle looks great!

Have you had a chance to range test?
As for the free float. I have been looking for a free float that will come flush or a tad over hang on my 22lr fun gun. White oak barrels are nice. I believe they are Wilson arms? I have simular barrel on my varmint barrel but it's the service rifle match barrel...not sure the difference in price, maybe shilen or other barrel blank?
Post some range reports.

Last edited:
Have you had a chance to range test?
As for the free float. I have been looking for a free float that will come flush or a tad over hang on my 22lr fun gun. White oak barrels are nice. I believe they are Wilson arms? I have simular barrel on my varmint barrel but it's the service rifle match barrel...not sure the difference in price, maybe shilen or other barrel blank?
Post some range reports.

Dying to get it out, I will update when I do. I has no sights or scope yet, don't want to buy iron sights cuz it will pull cash from scope fund, lol. I'll likely get it out, one way or the other, by April.

Dying to get it out, I will update when I do. I has no sights or scope yet, don't want to buy iron sights cuz it will pull cash from scope fund, lol. I'll likely get it out, one way or the other, by April.
Understood.....nothing on hand scope wise to play with? I'm still trying to decide what scope to get
Myself, blew my scope fund to speed up garand build only to be delayed! I'm starting over. For now still have my dad's old vxIII 2.5x8
Working fine and I'm well acquainted with it.

Watch SWFA's sample list for good deals. In the past 3-4 days there have been ~100 used/display scopes hit the list. They are usually $1-300 off retail depending on original value.

So a bit of an update... I've just been trying to get the gas right over the past couple days, looking for the sweet spot where its enough gas where everything I may shoot runs, but not so much to negate the recoil benefits to the light bcg. Anyways, it's shot some real tight groups. Here's a pic of one 5 shot group (This was repeated several times). This is at 50 yards and using my vortex 4x scope, off bench obviously. I realize at only 50 yards it's not too impressive, but I feel it's a good indicator as to the rifle's potential. This is with hand loaded ammo, but not stuff catered to this gun, just stuff I had made for my other AR in the past. This was shot with Berger 77gr. HPBT / 21gr. H335

IMG_4232x.jpg

I have a Vortex 2.5-10 and I'm a huge fan. Vortex has some of the best CS I have dealt with.

Magpul PRS

I figured weight wasn't a consideration but was curious about the barrel. The lightweight BCG confused me though?

+1 on the Vortex PST 2.5-10 ffp. I am building a 308 DMR and was deciding between the SWFA SS 3-9 HD and the Vortex PST. I picked the Vortex as I am very impressed by my PST 1-4 and found a phenomenal deal on sale. Got the scope last week, it is very impressive, don't have the mount yet but by next weekend if the weather is good I'll be able to test out the build.

BTW nice stick!

So I ended up going with a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 scope. Basically the same as the PST, just w/o illuminated reticle, which I never use anyways, so I figured I'd save some dough there.

Gun is still shooting moaish at 75 yards (one .45 sized hole, i didn't break out the calipers or do the math, but I'm happy). I still haven't gotten it out to a 100 yard range yet. Soon.

Nice setup. I'm still gathering parts for my SPR type build and will be utilizing a WOA 18" barrel....

I'm in a similar place with optics. I like the vortex stuff, but if I go FFP I feel like I should just save a bit more and wait to get a Nightforce. I could always run a SWFA SS x10 fixed power scope while I save for the NF but i beep coming back to the Vortex stuff. I like their 2.5-10 and 4-16 magnification in the PST series

Did this a couple days ago while trying out a few loadings. It's a five shot group using 69 gr Sierra HPBT with 24gr Varget @ 100 yards. Excuse the notebook etc, I cut out the target for load records. Shot off bench using a bipod, with small rear bag.

mail.google.com.jpg mail.google.com2.jpg

Did this a couple days ago while trying out a few loadings. It's a five shot group using 69 gr Sierra HPBT with 24gr Varget @ 100 yards. Excuse the notebook etc, I cut out the target for load records. Shot off bench using a bipod, with small rear bag.

View attachment 141687View attachment 141688

Nice.....I really need to get a better scope. Love my old school vintage VXIII but 2.5x8x32 with old school 30/30 duplex doesn't really cut it for small groups. Plus I want more focus on the target. It's been a solid scope for 20+ years. I'm torn between a few target dot bench rest style scopes and a few other reticle designs. I don't want a reticle that's to busy. Some of these tactical style scopes have far to much shit on that lenses..... looking for a 1/8 moa target dot with maybe just 2 or 3 hold over hash marks for wind ?
Good shooting.

Last edited:
I really like the mil dots still. On a first focal plane scope they are incredibly versatile. On my EBR I went +40 on the mount so I can use the top dot for 100yds and can use my "dope chart out to1800 without adjusting anything. Once you get the hang of them you can calculate range and many other things using them. Yes there are newer, busier designs but I'll take a doped out mil dot any day.

Last edited:
Nice.....I really need to get a better scope. Love my old school vintage VXIII but 2.5x8x32 with old school 30/30 duplex doesn't really cut it for small groups. Plus I want more focus on the target. It's been a solid scope for 20+ years. I'm torn between a few target dot bench rest style scopes and a few other reticle designs. I don't want a reticle that's to busy. Some of these tactical style scopes have far to much shit on that lenses..... looking for a 1/8 moa target dot with maybe just 2 or 3 hold over hash marks for wind ?
Good shooting.

Thanks, awesome you got 20 years out of it though. Yea the vortex mil dot is very plain and simple but no actual dot, just the crosshairs and I have no idea how they measure out moa wise.

Thanks, awesome you got 20 years out of it though. Yea the vortex mil dot is very plain and simple but no actual dot, just the crosshairs and I have no idea how they measure out moa wise.

What I have is a "chart" laminated on my stock which shows a mil dot recticle and the various hold points for the different ranges. I also have a few wind references. There are more " precise" setups available but it's good enough for me. If you have a first focal plane scope the recticle is consistent throughout the magnification range otherwise you will have to choose a setting. Then you use known size objects to gauge them with the dots. I have a 3x3" chart that shows hold points and range references laminated to my stock with packing tape. I wouldn't consider anyone within 2000yds "safe".

What I have is a "chart" laminated on my stock which shows a mil dot recticle and the various hold points for the different ranges. I also have a few wind references. There are more " precise" setups available but it's good enough for me. If you have a first focal plane scope the recticle is consistent throughout the magnification range otherwise you will have to choose a setting. Then you use known size objects to gauge them with the dots. I have a 3x3" chart that shows hold points and range references laminated to my stock with packing tape. I wouldn't consider anyone within 2000yds "safe".

Yea my non ffp stays on 16x 90% of the time, kind of tough to hold still at close distances but my groups don't change at lower settings. I probably should consider a static magnification, could probably get really nice glass for the cost of my 4-16x.

Back
Top Bottom