• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PreBan Pistol

Sorry if this has been addressed already, I did a search and couldn't find the answer.

My question is in regards to the AWB:
Are preban pistols just like preban rifles? Meaning can I get a preban pistol and legally put my can on it?

Thanks in advance

The OP is referring to the AWB that went into effect in 2013 that lowered the number of evil features necessary on handguns, rifles, and shotguns for it to be considered an Assault Weapon.

One evil feature on a handgun makes it an AW. One of the listed evil features is a threaded bbl.

The CT DESPP is on record agreeing that pre-ban firearms that meet the evil features portion of the AWB are not AWBs.

The OPs question centers around whether this includes pistols as wall as rifles.

The answer to the OP's question is that a pre-ban pistol is "exempt" the same way as a pre-ban rifle. So you can add a threaded bbl to support a (legal in CT) suppressor, without any fear of prosecution.

Don

See #17
http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/a546acc9-f8ff-4125-a958-11e55a1ffa73

Last edited:
Thank you Don.

That is what I thought, but I could also recall seeing somewhere someone argue that pistols were being treated differently for some reason.

Thank you Don.

That is what I thought, but I could also recall seeing somewhere someone argue that pistols were being treated differently for some reason.

That is, in at least some instances, because of information passed along by a couple of certain FFLs, who make such claims and purport them to have originated from communications between them and SLFU.

Last edited:
By the way. This also applies to pre-ban semi-auto shotguns.

That 12 round pistol gripped Rem 1100 you always wanted can be built out of a pre-ban gun.
(I think I've got the 1100 equipped to be an AW. I'm not going to find and read the section of statute, but you get the point. The AW defines how a fixed magazine shotgun can be an AW. No problem if its pre-ban)

Don

Back
Top Bottom