Preban or postban? Help please

I recently purchased an assortment of AR magazines from an FFL and was assured that they were all verified pre ban. Many of them don't have any date stamps or markings of any kind.
Can anyone definitively say whether these are pre ban or not?

57707450708a2f0201d81089d8cdd7e7.jpg
f364945aa55a74098be1edaeaab48fad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Although not definitive, if they're sealed a picture of the base-plate might be helpful.

The baseplate is what could tell you whether it is or is not preban. Some manufacturers shut down before/during the ban, so unmarked magazines made by those companies are preban. The pictures you've shown aren't enough to say either way. If you want verifiably preban mags, you want dated mags. PM me I have a few for pretty darn good prices.

No markings on the baseplate or anywhere else on the magazine.

Somtime you have to take it apart and inspect the inside, internally dated are that uncommon..
I don't remeber if you can depress the follower and look or if they have to come apart

- - - Updated - - -

Also that follower doesnt scream preban but that usually doesnt matter because it could have been changed your mag is sealed so its probably the oem follower

The blank floor plates might indicate that it's a foreign made mag. Circumstantially, the bag is so clean and not yellowed that it may be new mags from Brownells. Without a date on it, not sure how anyone can definitively determine it's age. Good luck.

Not that this helps you, buy I only buy dated pre-ban mags for my ar. And I always replace the spring with a Wolf spring. Some here will tell you not to worry about it but each non pre-ban is a felony, so I worry. Like MGnoob said,. Check the inside for a date.

Looks like a Korean magazine. They been making them for 50 years could be new could be pre ban?
Those green followers have been around about 30 years.

As someone who owned most of my mags before the ban. I can tell you that these "dated prebans" and "verified prebans" is a relatively new thing. I never saw a dated mag before the ban (with an exception of HK-91 mags). Either way, I wouldn't kill myself trying to verify each mag. If the manufacture was in business and its undated and you're told its preban that would be good enough for me. I keep seeing boxes full of brand new in wrapper dated prebans and I think they look great.. [smile]

........the bag is so clean and not yellowed that it may be new mags from Brownells.
last brownell ar mags i saw (last year) were clearly date stamped on the outside. ya couldn't miss it.

eta:stamped on outside of the mag body, not the bag.

Last edited:
Mags in bags that are marked with a date code may be fine . . . as long as you never remove the mag from said bag (unless mag is date stamped). In that case you can buy a shadow box, have the mags mounted in them and hang them on the wall in a secured area so you can look at them. Build your own museum.

However if you plan on shooting with those mags, the wrappers won't mean anything once you open them. Thus paying a premium for bagged mags IMNSHO is a waste of money.

Mags in bags that are marked with a date code may be fine . . . as long as you never remove the mag from said bag (unless mag is date stamped). In that case you can buy a shadow box, have the mags mounted in them and hang them on the wall in a secured area so you can look at them. Build your own museum.

However if you plan on shooting with those mags, the wrappers won't mean anything once you open them. Thus paying a premium for bagged mags IMNSHO is a waste of money.

and if you look around you can still find preban in the original contractors wrap for decent prices also.

If there's no MFG date than I don't know how you could be successfully held to account on them being prohibited.

I've now seen people accused of NON-crimes (in court), making it up to the defense to explain why not to convict. Not the way it is supposed to work, but it is the way that it does work in MA!

Also there are known marks for pre-bans vs. post-bans, companies that no longer exist and those that didn't exist before the ban . . . all contributing to proof of status.

I've now seen people accused of NON-crimes (in court), making it up to the defense to explain why not to convict. Not the way it is supposed to work, but it is the way that it does work in MA!

Also there are known marks for pre-bans vs. post-bans, companies that no longer exist and those that didn't exist before the ban . . . all contributing to proof of status.

Marks on what? The mag body? Follower? Plate? Spring?

Ok, I opened the package and took apart the magazine. There are four sets of numbers on the inside about 1.5 inches up from the base but I can't really tell what they say. It looks like the baseplate, springs, and follower have been replaced. The inside has some wear marks but not too bad. The exterior is near perfect. The feed lips are also near perfect. I am assuming that this is a preban but was rebuilt and repackaged as "new unopened".

Ok, I opened the package and took apart the magazine. There are four sets of numbers on the inside about 1.5 inches up from the base but I can't really tell what they say. It looks like the baseplate, springs, and follower have been replaced. The inside has some wear marks but not too bad. The exterior is near perfect. The feed lips are also near perfect. I am assuming that this is a preban but was rebuilt and repackaged as "new unopened".
I just gave it to a licensed co-worker who lives in Rhode Island. I wash my hands of this

I normally just throw the mag up in the air and if they fall back down I consider them pre ban. If it just hangs in midair I consider it post ban. I am 1% sure that will test will hold up in court but it makes a much as the nonsense the AG has come up with.

Those numbers, if there are O and K mixed in, are Okay date stamps. Probably dated prebans. Usually easy read with a flashlight.

Back
Top Bottom