• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preban G17 mags $180 each? WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be weary of buying ore ban couple of bills going through ma legislation going to restrict to 10rds including preban. Get them while you can

I'm going out on a limb here, but I predict someone (comm2A??) will quickly take this to court if this passes. Property cannot be taken without just compensation. I do not see any mechanism in this bill for compensating current LEGAL owners.

Willing to pay $180 to carry an extra mag? Not me.

Not trolling, but the probability of anyone's mag emptying fap dream is close to zero. In the last 10 years, name more than one good guy / gal that died because they only had a 10 round mag. Yeah, I'd rather have more but I'm not going to die because I didn't buy a $200 preban mag.
Not to mention
Everyone seems to prefer square notch glock mags, because they drop free, when loaded with ammo. The u notch mags disengage, but do not drop free when loaded. How is dropping to the ground a advantage? If my magazine disengages, I don't want to be groping around in the dark for my magazine to reengage it under fire. I'll take the u notch. If the u notch disengages, I just tap it back in place and I'm back in the game.
u notches are still garbage. If you’re dropping mags prematurely you’re likely dealing with a broken gun.

SOLD!!!!
Or, so the ad says.
Merical!!!!!

I guess I underestimated the market. Seemed high to me. I picked up two square notch last month for $60 each and picking up a u-noth today for $40. $2 each springs and $4 each followers from glock and they should be good as new. Using a +6 on the u-notch so im not worried about drop free, plenty of real estate to grab on to to rip out if needed.

I somewhat agree. Most of us are never going to need to defend ourselves with a firearm, but if we do I would rather have payed a premium for not being crippled.

I've also trained 14 years in Kyokushin, BJJ, and FMA, at some expense, and will probably never need that as well.

I also have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen that I will never use.

Life insurance? Well that's different.

No arguing that higher capacity is better- it certainly is. For me, it's just that the odds of needing more than 10 rounds doesn't justify $180 spent on a mag. I have had to use a firearm to defend myself twice in my lifetime, and on each occasion stopped the threats without need of pulling the trigger. If in Mass, with our 'brandishing' laws in one of those cases I would have finished the job, forced entry by 3 guys wanting to give me a 'tune up'. In the South I had no need to worry about such things. Yeah, hi cap mag would have been better but in that case I had a S&W 686 .357 so six rounds 3 bad guys isn't a great ratio.

I also spent quite a few years training in martial arts- Wado Ryu and BJJ. Used that once to help a couple EMT's who were getting beat to a pulp by a patient whacked out on something. Didn't even have to cause injury to the patient, though getting him compliant probably wasn't that comfortable for him, LOL.

Everyone seems to prefer square notch glock mags, because they drop free, when loaded with ammo. The u notch mags disengage, but do not drop free when loaded. How is dropping to the ground a advantage? If my magazine disengages, I don't want to be groping around in the dark for my magazine to reengage it under fire. I'll take the u notch. If the u notch disengages, I just tap it back in place and I'm back in the game.

As I've figured out both first hand and after the fact through the knowledge base on this website, U-notch don't play nice with most extended base plates, some of which will pop off under load tension alone. When they bulge in the middle, they restrict by the floor plate allowing it to squeeze out of the grip of the extender.

And that's not to mention that the old (maybe first gen?) U-notch aren't even long enough to use in modern Glocks, P80's, or PCC's--another hard lesson I've learned first hand. They just barely click in (if at all), and even if you can get them to load in the first shot, will often cause later FTF or premature slide lock. If you do a side by side comparison with modern gen Glock mags, you'll see they are like 3-4mm too short. I have to agree with Drgrant--Unotch are garbage. That's not to say $180/square is right though.

I got some USA 18 round steel mags the other day one ran fine 0 errors but the magazine base plate has a hardened rubber lip in front and the magazine wouldn't release from my mag well. I had to remove the slide and a range supervisor took the frame off the line, lubed it up in the shop and popped the mag out. I think I know the source of the error and I'm planning on cutting part of the rubber base plate off. My rationale is it probably hardened over time...USA went out of business awhile ago. I'll let you guys know how it goes but people definitely have those USA mags on the forums for a fraction of the price of the preban glock mags.

As I've figured out both first hand and after the fact through the knowledge base on this website, U-notch don't play nice with most extended base plates, some of which will pop off under load tension alone. When they bulge in the middle, they restrict by the floor plate allowing it to squeeze out of the grip of the extender.

And that's not to mention that the old (maybe first gen?) U-notch aren't even long enough to use in modern Glocks, P80's, or PCC's--another hard lesson I've learned first hand. They just barely click in (if at all), and even if you can get them to load in the first shot, will often cause later FTF or premature slide lock. If you do a side by side comparison with modern gen Glock mags, you'll see they are like 3-4mm too short. I have to agree with Drgrant--Unotch are garbage. That's not to say $180/square is right though.
Yeah...I learned that the hard way. ZEV Tech +5 wouldn't install on a 10 round factory glock mag because the ZEV spring was meant for double stack 17 round factory glock mags not single stack so that f***ed me over. Then on top of that +2 glock base plates don't play nicely with 10 round mags for whatever reason. Now I'm looking to restore the 10 round mags with their normal base plates and ditch the +2s. But the ZEV Tech +5 installed on my cracked 17 round preban mag was ironically the only magazine that ran consistently the entire range session...even better than a factory 10 round magazine so I'm thoroughly confused what happened. Most likely during the course of trying to install this crap I messed up the 10 round magazine so I need to go back under the hood and resolve these issues before I can confidently carry that Glock and know my magazines won't shit the bed on me.

I read this and I laugh because Mass laws are retarded.
But - I spend summers in CT and the magazine capacity laws there are even more retarded.
You cannot legally posses a standard capacity magazine unless you declared it back in 2014.
If you have a legally possessed standard capacity magazine, you can only load it to capacity in your home or at the range.

I have (4) 17 round Glock 17/34 mags in CT, and (6) 30 round PMAGS. And I can't bring in any more (legally).

I swap out the defensive ammo loaded mags in my truck when I go north each summer; replacing the standard capacity with limited capacity. Because I'm a law-abiding type of guy...

It's all just ridiculous. It's pointless legislation, feelgood laws that don't really do anything other than to screw with people.

Willing to pay $180 to carry an extra mag? Not me.

Not trolling, but the probability of anyone's mag emptying fap dream is close to zero. In the last 10 years, name more than one good guy / gal that died because they only had a 10 round mag. Yeah, I'd rather have more but I'm not going to die because I didn't buy a $200 preban mag.
Some things shouldn't be said even if true. Politicians are probably salivating at this comment thinking it's proof that all mag capacities should be limited.

Complaining about how high prices are is as useful as screaming at the sky.
An expensive preban is far more useful than a handicapped 10 round magazine.
It's a free market. Don't like it, there's an app for that: New Hampshire. News flash, it sucks (and is expensive) to be a gun owner in MA.

Like you, mine don't have a drop problem. But I do notice a difference in U-notch. There are ones that have two black dimples at the bottom of the rear of the mag and ones that have 2 metal-lined dimples at the bottom of the mag. Metal-dimples are DF. Plastic-dimples are NDF. But U-notch are not terrible magazines. It's a function of "well, they make these now so those are infurrurr. . . interferrioo. . . . unfurrafurr. . . . not as good."

They do bulge when loaded and won't drop free on a reload with a full mag. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd dump a partial mag. Hell, I don't even carry a spare mag. LOL

Sucks to be in MA and face $180 for a used and possibly ancient G19/17 square notch when free state people are now putting 15 rounds in G43x/48x with Shield Arms for $40, which itself is kind of a premium for free state mags. If I had job mobility, I would have moved a long time ago.

Some things shouldn't be said even if true. Politicians are probably salivating at this comment thinking it's proof that all mag capacities should be limited.

Yes, I am a secret Bloomturd plant formerly under deep cover at NES pumpkin shoots. Someone must have transmitted the signal that activated the chip in my head, thus removing me from my sleeper agent status specifically for this very thread. [rofl]

OK, in all seriousness I do get what you are saying but in my next post I did mention that a revolver vs. forced entry by 3 bad guys was really crappy odds. However, whether or not we like the stats, the pure numbers for rounds fired in self defense aren't going to support higher capacity mags. I would prefer that they did, but they don't. The mag dumping self defense scenarios are almost entirely 'what if'. One life saved matters to me, so screw the stats when protecting 2A rights. I'm just not willing to spend $180 on a mag.

Disclaimer: My EDC is a .45, so I really don't need as many rounds as someone with a 9mm Glock. [devil]

Also the only politician salivating over me is Nancy Pelosi- I once caught her staring at my package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom