Preban Bayonet Lug on Post ban rifle?

Here's an interesting one. So obviously we all use preban magazines in our post ban rifles. How about using a preban bayonet lug on our postban rifle?

I happen to be cruising through HKPRO forums and came across an HK93 forearm with a metal bayonet lug on it which accepts AR15/M16 bayonets on the HK93.

Since the entire assembly was made prior to 89', it's obviously "preban".

That being said, legal or illegal to use on a post ban rifle? I assume legal, but figured I'd see what the gray area comments would be.

pix358391512.jpg

pix915758946.jpg

pix902722629.jpg

EDIT: I'm trying to think it out whether it would be like putting a preban upper on a post ban lower, but it's really not an upper, it's just the handguard. No mechanical parts are involved.

Last edited:
...legal or illegal to use on a post ban rifle?...

I thought all HK93s are pre-ban (imported from 1974-1989), but to answer your question...

If it were a post-ban rifle, Illegal. A bayonet lug is one of the "evil" features. The HK93 already has a pistol grip, so adding the bayonet lug would make it a post-ban assault weapon.

ETA: I see SSShooter beat me to it while I was looking up importation dates.

Last edited:
I thought all HK93s are pre-ban (imported from 1974-1989), but to answer your question...

If it were a post-ban rifle, Illegal. A bayonet lug is one of the "evil" features. The HK93 already has a pistol grip, so adding the bayonet lug would make it a post-ban assault weapon.

ETA: I see SSShooter beat me to it while I was looking up importation dates.

I thought so. I was just more curious to put it on something like a PTR91(16"). Not a 93. I guess it would be the same as putting a "preban" collapsible stock on a post ban rifle. With the stock though it's impossible to prove when it was made, at least with this handguard you know it was made prior to 89.

I guess I was just dreaming in the laws of Mass. though.

As a side note, my guess is that if you had it in MA on a post ban rifle(PTR91), no one would have a clue what it is. Especially since it accepts AR15 bayonets on your HK style rifle.

I thought so. I was just more curious to put it on something like a PTR91(16"). Not a 93. I guess it would be the same as putting a "preban" collapsible stock on a post ban rifle. With the stock though it's impossible to prove when it was made, at least with this handguard you know it was made prior to 89.

The age of the "evil" item is irrelevant. The age of the actual firearm determines its pre/post ban status, and whether the presence of the "evil" item is legal on said firearm. Also, technically the firearm has to have been in "evil" configuration on 9/13/94 for it to be a true pre-ban assault weapon.

As a side note, my guess is that if you had it in MA on a post ban rifle(PTR91), no one would have a clue what it is. Especially since it accepts AR15 bayonets on your HK style rifle.

Agreed, there are a lot of things "they" don't know or can't prove, but it doesn't make it legal. [wink]

The age of the "evil" item is irrelevant. The age of the actual firearm determines its pre/post ban status, and whether the presence of the "evil" features is legal on said firearm. Also, technically it has to have been in "evil" configuration on 9/13/94 for it to be a true pre-ban assault weapon.

Agreed, there are a lot of things "they" don't know or can't prove, but it doesn't make it legal. [wink]

Ugh, I always forget that "had to be in that configuration prior to 94". That being said, I love seeing brand new folding stocks on preban 10/22's.

Mods, close this up please.

I guess I was just dreaming in the laws of Mass. though.

I don't believe HK91 and HK93 handguards are interchangeable.

Back
Top Bottom