• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre-Healey Madness

I sold my Saiga Arsenal SGL 5.45 recently... it was listed as
1. Rare in MA (it is, there aren't many around after the Obama Russia import ban)
2. Pre-Healy (which it was and had the transfer papers to prove it),
3. In excellent condition (which it was).

The trifecta.
[banana]

At the bottom of the Comm2a is a link to the Pullman v Healey suit info which is more narrow in it's focus.
Still federal; no state law issues. I found what I was looking for here:

Cape Gun Works & Baystate Firearms File Suit v Healey

This is the petition: https://www3.nssf.org/share/GR/2018/PetitioforDeclaratoryRelief.pdf

The petition basically just accuses her of violating the state APA (c. 30A). She absolutely did. But the thing that scares me is, if they win, I think Healey will just issue 93A regulations following Chapter 30A to the T. And if we sue, I think she might win that case given the level of deference given to regulations under MA case law, and NSSF's failure to pursue the handgun regulation case in the late 90's.

The real question is, can an AG use her broad 93A regulatory power to scribble whatever nonsense regulations she wants related to any other statute, even when she wasn't explicitly delegated regulatory power under that statute. I think the answer is she can't - and to the extent she can, it should receive no interpretive deference from the courts.

But I'm worried that the pro-gun side already lost that battle by not pursuing the battle against the 93A handgun regs back in the late 90's. Because if she issues 93A regulations, the underlying principle here would be the exact same as the one in that case.

Last edited:
I sold my Saiga Arsenal SGL 5.45 recently... it was listed as
1. Rare in MA (it is, there aren't many around after the Obama Russia import ban)
2. Pre-Healy (which it was and had the transfer papers to prove it),
3. In excellent condition (which it was).

The trifecta.
[banana]
I won't dispute condition though some people definitely overstate it. But this post was about firearms have no relation to Healey's bullshit having this tag to fetch a premium so your firearm at least has some debate for it which is why I wasn't knocking those. As far as rare in Massachusetts by the definition you gave it should be rare in general by limitation of the import ban. I find the term rare in MA annoying, but that has more to do with it treating the seller like they're a retard that doesn't know what they're looking at and that it's magically going to convince an otherwise uninterested buyer into buying. but not truly worth complaining about.

I won't dispute condition though some people definitely overstate it. But this post was about firearms have no relation to Healey's bullshit having this tag to fetch a premium so your firearm at least has some debate for it which is why I wasn't knocking those. As far as rare in Massachusetts by the definition you gave it should be rare in general by limitation of the import ban. I find the term rare in MA annoying, but that has more to do with it treating the seller like they're a retard that doesn't know what they're looking at and that it's magically going to convince an otherwise uninterested buyer into buying. but not truly worth complaining about.

Understood. The problem NES'ers are well aware of is a lack of understanding by many of what was "banned" and what wasn't, so what qualifies as needing the Pre-healy label and what doesn't. Mostly I was just throwing some shade because I used most of the marketing language that other NES'ers are butthurt about.

Here's the thing: from a logical perspective, this ruling did nothing other than to limit AR and AK sales from dealers in MA. The AR's and AK's already in MA can continue to be traded via private sales, ergo, supply is limited cost goes up. Meanwhile, Tavors and SCARS and a host of other rifles not named or considered clones/derivatives are exempt. Makes little sense and is probably confusing to new/uneducated gun buyers. I mean, I can walk into a gun store and buy a Tavor today that is chambered in 5.56 just like an AR with no problems, but a big NOPE doing that with an AR unless it is pre-94? Yeah, I know, Dems will look to go after the exceptions next. Whatever, it's a moving target.

Obviously you're not LAW ENFORCEMENT W/POWER OF ARREST ONLY! or you wouldn't be complaining.
I had to block posts (which says a lot because I haven't blocked anybody else) from that specific person when I realized they also tagged a P30 which even the most bland FFL (in regards to following the rules) will sell you was labeling it with that tag. It even had 10 round magazines so there was no reason for that nonsense. But hey, clearly DTOM537 is just trying to bring prices down so he can begin collecting gen 5 glocks for when they become vintage. [pot]

I mean, if you take the AG at her word, then she could prosecute anyone in possession of a copy or duplicate of an AR, AK, or other named weapon from the AWB if it wasn't possessed prior to 7/20/2016. Many buyers would see value in not having to worry about that, so mentioning the "pre-Healey" status of of the gun makes sense in that regard.

I think you overestimate the willingness of most MA gun owners to thumb their noses at the AG's edict, especially newer gun owners who are trying very hard to stay perfectly within the confines of the law.

This. As far as lowers and AR’s go.

Pistols...totally a different thing and no reason for an upcharge.

Those of us that planned ahead pre 7/20 have plenty of lowers. And we are not selling them in MA for 59 bucks. Because that is not the going market rate.

To those that think we are gouging and taking advantage, then put your money where your mouth is and put your pre-7/20 lowers up for sale at 59 bucks.
See what happens when people buy and resell them for 4 times that or more. At least youll feel good about yourself.

Other than that Healey created demand and market. Dont blame people for selling them for what they can get. If you dont like it dont buy it. Anything else is stupid and leaving money on the table.

This. As far as lowers and AR’s go.

Pistols...totally a different thing and no reason for an upcharge.

Those of us that planned ahead pre 7/20 have plenty of lowers. And we are not selling them in MA for 59 bucks. Because that is not the going market rate.

To those that think we are gouging and taking advantage, then put your money where your mouth is and put your pre-7/20 lowers up for sale at 59 bucks.
See what happens when people buy and resell them for 4 times that or more. At least youll feel good about yourself.

Other than that Healey created demand and market. Dont blame people for selling them for what they can get. If you dont like it dont buy it. Anything else is stupid and leaving money on the table.

Last year I sold a pre 7/20 lower for $100, it was on Armslist for $500 within a week even though I asked that it be for someone who genuinely didn't have an opportunity to buy one before 7/20 for whatever reason.

Last year I sold a pre 7/20 lower for $100, it was on Armslist for $500 within a week even though I asked that it be for someone who genuinely didn't have an opportunity to buy one before 7/20 for whatever reason.
At least you tried I guess. Even though I'm about to have my part time license, you and I have talked enough one of these days I need to drive my lazy ass all the way out there and buy something. Bit of a hike from beyond Exit 8 on the pike though.

Back
Top Bottom