• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre-Healey Madness

Whiskeywon

NES Member
For heaven's sake can somebody stop this madness. I understand the point that some people want the security in knowing their firearm is some resemblance of legal (yes, I know edict not actual law). But there have been a few times now that I have seen where people are labeling firearms that the assault weapons ban have no forbearance beyond being feature compliant with the law. As in not a named firearm. So why some people are labeling things like a PTR rifle, SKS or Scar (I've seen all three now) as pre-healey and attempting to charge a premium is beginning to melt my brain more than already dealing with a world where a "pre-healey" named ban firearm is a thing. Not really a rant, just curious are there gun owning residents of Massachusetts that believe all semi-autos were defacto banned by Healey reinterpretation of the named firearm component of the AWB.

Adding pre-healey, rare in MA, Hillery’s coming, etc, allows the seller to up the price of a 400.00 firearm to about 1500.00.

Capitalizing on the everyday fear mongering that goes on and raking not so experienced buyers over the coals.

Adding pre-healey, rare in MA, Hillery’s coming, etc, allows the seller to up the price of a 400.00 firearm to about 1500.00.

Capitalizing on the everyday fear mongering that goes on and raking not so experienced buyers over the coals.
Yeah, I always wanna smack the shit out of a rare in Massachusetts person. The reason I bring up this specific thing is spreading massively incorrect information. If somebody wants to debate the legal grey area of ARs currently that's fine. But people need to stop spreading that to completely unrelated firearms. Is that just a random price or are you referring to a specific post? ;)
Her bullshit isnt actual law so I agree the whole thing's a little full retard
That said, I love my PTR and would probably charge a premium for it as well :D
Yes, but there's a difference from just wanting a premium for sentimentality (which obviously YMMV) than posting something that you can literally buy new for hundreds less right now with no questions asked.

Trying to cash in on the "pre-Healy premium" for guns where it doesn't actually matter is a bit scummy. It's like labeling table salt "Gluten Free!". Technically true, but meaningless.

Hopefully buyers are smart enough to do a little research before blindly buying.

It's far worse than that, there are people here that know enough to know better (and then pay those prices)
and still self-coddle because they're afraid to violate fake laws. [laugh]

-Mike

I don't begrudge people of trying to make a dollar. And if 30c of marketing know-how gets you an extra $300, more power to you.

E Pluribus Unum - let the buyer beware.

Carpe Diem - Fish for the best deals you can find.

But getting the Grab A Gun emails - it's amazing what a starter-grade AR goes for in 2019.

Trying to cash in on the "pre-Healy premium" for guns where it doesn't actually matter is a bit scummy. It's like labeling table salt "Gluten Free!". Technically true, but meaningless.

Hopefully buyers are smart enough to do a little research before blindly buying.

In a market full of afraid-of-own-shadow nippleheads that worry constantly about meaningless crap (average MA LTC holder) it's just capitalism. While I wouldn't do it myself people are free to just not buy that crap, as well as the $140 glock mags or $11 AR mags being sold for 30 bucks or more, etc. [laugh]

How to fight stupid prices: Don't pay them. Don't buy that shit. Wait, or look for a better deal.

-Mike

I don't begrudge people of trying to make a dollar. And if 30c of marketing know-how gets you an extra $300, more power to you.

E Pluribus Unum - let the buyer beware.

Carpe Diem - Fish for the best deals you can find.

But getting the Grab A Gun emails - it's amazing what a starter-grade AR goes for in 2019.
I don't begrudge them as long as they aren't blatantly lying and being a sweaty Ben about it like Classicfirearms. But that's also a part of this is there are clearly people who don't know better that this can also serve as a pseudo-PSA.
In a market full of afraid-of-own-shadow nippleheads that worry constantly about meaningless crap (average MA LTC holder) it's just capitalism. While I wouldn't do it myself people are free to just not buy that crap, as well as the $140 glock mags or $11 AR mags being sold for 30 bucks or more, etc. [laugh]

How to fight stupid prices: Don't pay them. Don't buy that shit. Wait, or look for a better deal.

-Mike
Agree with the whole thing and that's why we're also free to roast it without directly targeting, but I wanted to add you basically get a +1 for making me laugh every time you say nipplehead because apparently I'm 5 inside.

In MA, "pre-Healey" is probably # 2 on the tier list of value multipliers. I think only legit pre-1994 allows you to inflate more, but at least that one actually adds something to the item.

It's definitely above "custom," "LNIB (only 2k rounds down the pipe)," and "RARE IN MA!"

I do love "rare in Mass!" when there's two or three of the same gun on the page in the classifieds. Nevermind the fact that anyone actually looking to buy one is almost certainly going to know whether they are abundant or not. I want to know how many people are randomly scrolling through and see "rare in MA? Oh boy, I had no plans to purchase random gun [x], but I better pick this one up now because it's rare!"

In MA, "pre-Healey" is probably # 2 on the tier list of value multipliers. I think only legit pre-1994 allows you to inflate more.

It's definitely above "custom," "LNIB (only 2k rounds down the pipe)," and "RARE IN MA!"

I do love "rare in Mass!" when there's two or three of the same gun on the page in the classifieds. Nevermind the fact that anyone actually looking to buy one is almost certainly going to know whether they are abundant or not. I want to know how many people are randomly scrolling through and see "rare in MA? Oh boy, I had no plans to purchase random gun [x], but I better pick this one up now because it's rare!"
Makes me think of one time on armslist there was a store selling a legitimate NFA item MP-40 and he actually labeled it rare. You don't say? I would have never guessed it was rare otherwise. Thank you for telling me so I can stop swimming through this sea of wartime German sub machine guns & set aside all my extra spending for the next few years and buy your machine gun.

"Rare" is right up there with "Custom" for words that, when they appear in the title of a Classified ad tell me the gun is 1) Overpriced, 2) Bubba'ed beyond recognition, or 3) Both

Makes me think of one time on armslist there was a store selling a legitimate NFA item MP-40 and he actually labeled it rare. You don't say? I would have never guessed it was rare otherwise. Thank you for telling me so I can stop swimming through this sea of wartime German sub machine guns & set aside all my extra spending for the next few years and buy your machine gun.
I want to see someone post a "Pre-Healey, rare in MA Custom M&P Shield, LNIB with only 20,000 rounds down the pipe...the guy I bought it from says that Patton himself drew it and pointed it at Stalin after he had one too many (documentation not included)."

In fact, maybe I should go add "Pre-Healey" to my Tokarev listing. Maybe that'll lure in some buyers. Or, add "pre-94" to it, just in case someone doesn't pickup the fact I mentioned it was built in 1961.

"Rare" is right up there with "Custom" for words that, when they appear in the title of a Classified ad tell me the gun is 1) Overpriced, 2) Bubba'ed beyond recognition, or 3) Both
I hate seeing the word "custom" for the same reasons. When I see "custom" I automatically assume something like this "custom" Glock and just skip right over the listing:
upload_2019-7-1_11-55-45.png

That, and when people list 1,000 modifications and the MSRP for each part. "In total, this Glock 19 is worth $9,000. Nevermind that most of this stuff is needless and cosmetic and you don't want it anyway, you should pay for my 'custom' project."

And don't even get me started on the itemized list of prices for all the doodads you put in/on the gun. Chances are 99% of it is garbage, and the other 1% I don't want anyways.

Spending $1000 customizing a $500 gun doesn't leave you with a $1500 gun. It leaves you with a $400 gun.

And don't even get me started on the itemized list of prices for all the doodads you put in/on the gun. Chances are 99% of it is garbage, and the other 1% I don't want anyways.

Spending $1000 customizing a $500 gun doesn't leave you with a $1500 gun. It leaves you with a $400 gun.

Yeah the $3500 AR with the dissertation after it.... Nobody usually cares. they'd usually be far better off stripping the gun down and parting it out. Or putting all that junk
in a 2nd box and offering a deal on it to the guy who buys the gun.

It was like seeing the $950 glock 27s with the lasermax and the punisher slide plate on the back and oversized chrome slide stop consignment at FS, and it would probably sit on consignment and eventually be withdrawn because nobody actually wants any of that shit. [rofl]

-Mike

Yeah, I always wanna smack the shit out of a rare in Massachusetts person. The reason I bring up this specific thing is spreading massively incorrect information. If somebody wants to debate the legal grey area of ARs currently that's fine. But people need to stop spreading that to completely unrelated firearms. Is that just a random price or are you referring to a specific post? ;)

Yes, but there's a difference from just wanting a premium for sentimentality (which obviously YMMV) than posting something that you can literally buy new for hundreds less right now with no questions asked.

No, nothing specific, just seems like the common theme, I just shake my head and move on.

I hate seeing the word "custom" for the same reasons. When I see "custom" I automatically assume something like this "custom" Glock and just skip right over the listing:
View attachment 291322

That, and when people list 1,000 modifications and the MSRP for each part. "In total, this Glock 19 is worth $9,000. Nevermind that most of this stuff is needless and cosmetic and you don't want it anyway, you should pay for my 'custom' project."

That guy probably had the $950 glock 27.... [rofl]

"ya can't fault a person for trying" use to be the nes creed. i guess not now. [laugh]
This is how I generally feel, but there's something distastefully lawyer in nature about trying to game legal grey area (I say grey area because while not true law you can still get legally dicked down with legal fees) that isn't actually legal grey area that just rubs me wrong.
View attachment 291322

The hell is that? That picture looks like a stipple job that they rubbed literal crap into while doing.

The hell is that? That picture looks like a stipple job that they rubbed literal crap into while doing.
Someone on armlist placed an ad selling their "custom" Glock.
If I recall he specifically cited it as being setup for appendix carry--nothing says "lemme shoot my nuts off" like appendix carried Glock with no trigger guard.

I really hope it was a joke listing, but no way to be sure.

Someone on armlist placed an ad selling their "custom" Glock.
If I recall he specifically cited it as being setup for appendix carry--nothing says "lemme shoot my nuts off" like appendix carried Glock with no trigger guard.

I really hope it was a joke listing, but no way to be sure.
You know... I was so distracted by the poo-stipple job that I didn't see the little gun penis sticking out without the trigger guard. Now I feel extra stupid. hahaha I'm guessing it's a joke though unlike the garbage ads we've been talking about on this post.

You know... I was so distracted by the poo-stipple job that I didn't see the little gun penis sticking out without the trigger guard. Now I feel extra stupid. hahaha I'm guessing it's a joke though unlike the garbage ads we've been talking about on this post.
Found it looks like it was actually facebook - no more snags! Sweet shooter!
b8sUSi9o4phQyQqo71Eljf6DaQEZ5vskbqCmnMgONeE.jpg

"Pre healey" is total bullshit.

The only people complying with the healey stuff are FFLs so they don't lose their license. That's it.

Private sales have no reason to use "pre healey".

I mean, if you take the AG at her word, then she could prosecute anyone in possession of a copy or duplicate of an AR, AK, or other named weapon from the AWB if it wasn't possessed prior to 7/20/2016. Many buyers would see value in not having to worry about that, so mentioning the "pre-Healey" status of of the gun makes sense in that regard.

I think you overestimate the willingness of most MA gun owners to thumb their noses at the AG's edict, especially newer gun owners who are trying very hard to stay perfectly within the confines of the law.

I mean, if you take the AG at her word, then she could prosecute anyone in possession of a copy or duplicate of an AR, AK, or other named weapon from the AWB if it wasn't possessed prior to 7/20/2016. Many buyers would see value in not having to worry about that, so mentioning the "pre-Healey" status of of the gun makes sense in that regard.

Problem is the AG contradicts themselves.

Edict comes out "all post 94 Ars etc are illegal! bweah!" Then says "well, we won't prosecute you if it was owned before the edict date". Well which is it? make up your mind you stupid tyrant c***!

It's just a pile of shit. I would think anyone afraid of their own shadow that "didnt want to have to worry about that" would be sticking to pre94 guns, not just the "but we promise we wont prosecute you, even though I just said the gun was illegal 10 minutes ago" guns... [rofl]

I think you overestimate the willingness of most MA gun owners to thumb their noses at the AG's edict, especially newer gun owners who are trying very hard to stay perfectly within the confines of the law.

I don't even know its that so much as it is most of these people normally only buy guns at retail. (I know tons of people with LTCs that have never privately bought or sold a gun in their life) And retail in MA with dealers are going to be only "pre edict" and many are only doing "pre 94" as well. This "depiction" of "policy as law" has newbs thinking that it "actually is the law" as a form of brain disease.

-Mike

Last edited:
View attachment 291322

I can't find it on the'Tube, but there was a guy on Pawn Stars a few years back that had $30,000 into a custom trike. He had every shiny doodad known to mankind on that thing. It was hideous.

I think he said he had $30,000 into it. Rick offered him something like $6K. Figured he could get $8-10K with a bit of time.

Guy just about died. ROFL!!!

Lots of butthurt in this thread. Ouch. Don't click and move on if it iffends you.

AR-15 Stag LH for sale. Pre healey. All laws followed.

-Nice scope.
-Adjustable sniper legs
-big button on clip release
-sweet smooth trigger parts lower kit
-fluted stainless .223 barrel guaranteed by Sabre to safely handle any ammo that will fit. (Owner of Sabre is in the poky for arms violations)
-Car shoot safe queen
-near Norwood
-$1,700 or best offer.

-will throw in standard magazine. Pre-pre-ban

-CASH IS KING! FTF Loophole and will travel reasonable distance.

Back
Top Bottom