• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pre ban magazine quantities

Has there even been estimates made regarding the number of preban mags in the US? Post ban? Specifically for the AR platform

Last edited:
Somewhere between an assload and a bazillion.

I'm not sure how you would even begin to count them. I doubt that mag manufacturers would be forthcoming with their sales numbers, and any survey done of owners with old mags would be full of lies.

Somewhere between an assload and a bazillion.

Agreed, and that is the whole point of my question. 30rd mags are the most endangered these days, having an estimate that reflects an absolutely huge number would help illusrate for antis just how common they are.

Meant to ask for ARs only

I would say millions, easily. Quite probably 10's of millions.

Even if 30 round mags are "endangered", there are still tons of them out there and available, especially now that the federal ban is gone.

I'm guessing that you want to use the number of pre-ban mags as an argument for doing away with the magazine ban, since it shows how ridiculous it is? Unfortunately, I don't think that argument will hold any weight at all. The antis just don't care and if the subject of pre-ban mags comes up often enough, they'll ram something through requiring owners to register each magazine they have and doing away with any future transfers between owners. Sometimes it's really not wise to poke idiots, especially when they the power to poke back. [rolleyes]

Agreed, and that is the whole point of my question. 30rd mags are the most endangered these days,

Really? Perhaps I haven't needed to search for awhile. I thought there was boat loads of them around. Wasn't a few years back I was practically giving them away. I gave a few Steele body mags away to Flintoid a few years back for a bul pup rifle he had but being the great guy he was/is he insisted on giving me some money for them.

I remember hearing back in 1994, there were 7,402 pre-ban magazines and 5,904 post-ban magazines in circulation.Obviously that was a while ago so there are probably less than that now.

If these number were correct, I would know some guys who singlehandedly own more than 1% of them. There has got to be thousands of times this number.

Really? Perhaps I haven't needed to search for awhile. I thought there was boat loads of them around. Wasn't a few years back I was practically giving them away. I gave a few Steele body mags away to Flintoid a few years back for a bul pup rifle he had but being the great guy he was/is he insisted on giving me some money for them.

By endangered I mean politically.

Did pre-ban AR mags drop in price when the federal ban expired? They seem to go for like $20-35 now in states like Mass, were they more expensive before the ban expired?

The guy I used to buy mine from had boxes and boxes of brand new pre-ban magazines, and he said he could get more any time he needed them.

- - - Updated - - -

Did pre-ban AR mags drop in price when the federal ban expired? They seem to go for like $20-35 now in states like Mass, were they more expensive before the ban expired?

So the fun part is driving to NH where you can get PMags for 10 bucks. I'm not suggesting anyone break the law, but the contrast shows how idiotic the law is.

Remember that the majority of gun owners in the U.S. don't give a damn about preban or postban mags because since 2004, that garbage doesn't apply to them anymore (free states). There are plenty of guys on hundreds of different gun forums who are more than happy to get rid of their preban mags at non-dickhead prices so they can use the money to just buy brand new mags. Join a bunch of different forums and cruise their itrader pages.

Remember that the majority of gun owners in the U.S. don't give a damn about preban or postban mags because since 2004, that garbage doesn't apply to them anymore (free states). There are plenty of guys on hundreds of different gun forums who are more than happy to get rid of their preban mags at non-dickhead prices so they can use the money to just buy brand new mags. Join a bunch of different forums and cruise their itrader pages.

Yeah, my brother in a free state has a box-load of pre-bans he means to give me, just can't get him to cough them up. Every time I turn around he's doing another 1 year tour in the Middle East.

Agreed, and that is the whole point of my question. 30rd mags are the most endangered these days, having an estimate that reflects an absolutely huge number would help illusrate for antis just how common they are.

There were millions of m1 carbines made in the 1940's and they're still easy to get mags for. I'd say there must be 10's of millions of preban mags at a minimum.

The reason there are so many is that originally they were supposed to be disposable one use. Hence the dog shit followers. Compare ak and ar mags you'll see the difference.

I've uses this contract list as a reference before. I believe it is incomplete as it only covers 30 round mags. and only USGI mags at that. but it should give you a sense of scale. the 4th col is contract quantity I believe.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=140250

For those too lazy to do the work, the total number made pre-94 that are included in that list is 27,975,613.

27 million mags, JUST counting 30rd military contract.

There are plenty out there still, thankfully.

For those too lazy to do the work, the total number made pre-94 that are included in that list is 27,975,613.

27 million mags, JUST counting 30rd military contract.

There are plenty out there still, thankfully.

And only counting pre federal ban. The numbers must be massive now.

30 round PMAGS and collapsible stocks would be so much more tacticool-er. Maybe someday our legislators will trust us.

For now, it's better than the NY SAFE Act...and better than "the spur" (aka AR-Castration).

30 round PMAGS and collapsible stocks would be so much more tacticool-er. Maybe someday our legislators will trust us.

For now, it's better than the NY SAFE Act...and better than "the spur" (aka AR-Castration).

Is that the same as "For now, it's better that you're only going to put the tip in, instead of nuts deep?"

Is that the same as "For now, it's better that you're only going to put the tip in, instead of nuts deep?"

Hahaha! It sucks either way. We're getting screwed out with the MA AWB, but the NY AWB is 10x worse. So, yes it's similar to your analogy lol.

Back
Top Bottom