Pre-ban Hi-caps for Post ban firearm

Can you buy pre-ban Hi-cap mags for a Post ban firearm?

Example... If you buy a new AR15 A3 with the standard 10 rounders... can you later buy as many preban 30 rounders as your heart desires... or can you not do this because the rifle itself is post ban?

Forgive me if this is a lame question... but... the more I read... the more it seems to look grey..[thinking]

I believe the high capacity magazines are regulated independent of any specific firearms.

It is my understanding is that if you have a Class A LTC for High Capacity, then you may purchase/own pre-ban (manufactured before 9/94) full capacity magazines.

Postban magazines more than 10 rounds are not legal for you to have.

Those with more accurate information, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon

I have purchased many preban mags for my post ban gun/rifles. Heck there is a very well regarded gun shop that advertises hi cap AR prebans on their web site! It's all cool. Now if you are challenged for one reason or another to prove the mags are preban... that's the bigger issue.

It is my understanding is that if you have a Class A LTC for High Capacity, then you may purchase/own pre-ban (manufactured before 9/94) full capacity magazines.

Postban magazines more than 10 rounds are not legal for you to have.

Those with more accurate information, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Jon

Jon, you are correct, but in to make a slight amendment, a LTC-A is needed for high capacity HANDGUN magazines, whereas a LTC-B is good for high capacity LONG GUN magazines, but NOT handgun.

In this particular example that was asked about, a LTC-B would be sufficient.

All of my pre-94 30rd AR mags came in sealed bags from the manuf. with the DOB printed on them.

Can't get any more positive than that.[grin]

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

So that means:

Class A: you can have both preban full capacity handgun magazines as well as the same for rifles

Class B: you may only have preban full capacity magazines for rifles, and no 10+ magazines of any kind for handguns

FID: 10 round or less for both?

Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

jon

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

So that means:

Class A: you can have both preban full capacity handgun magazines as well as the same for rifles

Class B: you may only have preban full capacity magazines for rifles, and no 10+ magazines of any kind for handguns

FID: 10 round or less for both?

Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

jon

Jon,

There is a caveat for Shotgun shells. I think the threshold is 5 not 10.

According to Chap 140 Sec 121:

"“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device; (iii) that employs a rotating cylinder capable of accepting more than ten rounds of ammunition in a rifle or firearm and more than five shotgun shells in the case of a shotgun or firearm; or (iv) that is an assault weapon. "

Now what about the other way around?

If I had a AR-15 pre ban. Can I use new 30 round mags? Say a new magpul 30 rd
mag?

Or would a pre ban need to have pre ban hi cap mags?

I want to build a AR-15. With a preban lower. Post ban upper, Colapsable stock, flash hider. But my biggest reason is I want to use new 30 round composite
mags.

I am mainly going to use the rifle at the range and don't want to be reloading every 10 seconds with 10 round mags

I have purchased many preban mags for my post ban gun/rifles. Heck there is a very well regarded gun shop that advertises hi cap AR prebans on their web site! It's all cool. Now if you are challenged for one reason or another to prove the mags are preban... that's the bigger issue.

Just because you were able to buy something, and because a shop is selling something, does not mean that item is necessarily legal by any stretch of the imagination. Most of the time the onus is on YOU, the possessor of said items, when it comes down to knowing the law and whether or not you are breaking it. I've heard plenty of stories where gun shops are selling post-ban high caps to citizens.

Just because you were able to buy something, and because a shop is selling something, does not mean that item is necessarily legal by any stretch of the imagination. Most of the time the onus is on YOU, the possessor of said items, when it comes down to knowing the law and whether or not you are breaking it. I've heard plenty of stories where gun shops are selling post-ban high caps to citizens.

Indeed I have seen this at numerous shops as well. And I see it numerous times at every gun show. Caveat Emptor applies here.

Back
Top Bottom