Pre ban Beta C mag.legal?

Pre-ban high capacity mags are legal to own if you have the proper license.

Good luck finding a C-Mag in good condition at a reasonable price. Those that got them for "investments" are still charging quite a premium over new versions.

C-Mags are actually not too bad if maintained properly and for Semi use. For Full auto use, they did tend to have feeding issues.

betac.jpg

It's the Chinese "lollipop" style that are terrible

chinese_120rddrum_rambo.jpg

and the 90 round "snail" style that can jam up more easily.

mgw_90rd.gif

If the pre-ban Beta C were not so freaking overpriced, I'd get one.

There is info and links in the AR Magazine FAQ:

AR15 Magazine FAQ

C-Mags are not known for their reliability. Do some Google research on this to confirm.

I've got 3 or 4 or them for my 16, I can't think of ever having a single hick-up with any of them...eventually the feed towers groove and may crack, but are easily replaced (or repaired if you are really cheap). Of course if you just let em drop onto concrete when you do a mag change you will end up with problems, but under "normal" conditions they are great... and nothing beats 100rnd dumps (OK a belt fed does [smile] ).

As for how to get em "cheap" its easy...make friends with out of state shooters who still have "old" ones, and offer to buy your friends a brand new beta mag. Most people will happily trade you an old for new, if you were in thier shoes wouldn't you????

Bumping an old thread with a new question:

What markings might be found on a preban beta mag? Thinking 100 rounds on tap might make for a good time.

Bumping an old thread with a new question:

What markings might be found on a preban beta mag? Thinking 100 rounds on tap might make for a good time.

I wanted to bump this question in hopes of an answer. It does look like the Beta Company can provide confirmation of its date, but didn't know if anything else might indicate pre-ban status.

The pre ban C Mags used to have a "Y" shaped aluminum support bracket on the rear of the mag at the bottom of the feed tower connecting across to both drums. I don't know if that was true of all pre ban C Mags but the pre bans I have seen have all had that bracket and it was later changed. When looking at the front of the drum there are likely 2 sets of numbers: one on the bottom front of each drum. The number set on the left drum is a stocking number and the number on the right is the one you want to be concerned with as it is the production number/serial number of the drum that Beta Co. will use to determine the date of manufacture. I have seen government mags with an NSN on the top of the left drum. There are threads out there which were set up as repositories to determine pre ban production number/serial numbers, of which I cannot remember any of the links, but like all free information take it with a grain of salt. Best to contact Beta Co. with your number and get something in writing from the horse's mouth

you can google some pre-ban c mags to get the serial numbers and compare with what you're looking at to see if its close or not. I did that when I came across one for a good price, couldn't figure out how much newer it might be though so I gave them a phone call and found out for sure (post ban :-( )

I have two pre ban Betas that are brand new in the original packaging with all of the accessories. If you're interested. PM.

Back
Top Bottom