• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre Ban AR's - Someone please help me with the law

I am curious about the laws reguarding these. I hav been looking to purchase a preban "shorty" AR, with full birdcage suppresor, and telescoping stock. I know that you can buy them in MA, as long as they are Preban, but what is the law on buying them out of state, say in NH and having them transferred to MA, provided they are preban? Also, does anyone have a lead to someone or a place selling one? Thanks.

If the serial number can be traced to a PRE-BAN lower and the out of state FFL will transfer the gun to you, you are all set. I would look up the various FAQs on the net and print out the list of manufacturers and which serial numbers comply so that when you go shopping you will have some idea.

If it is from a private party and must be transferred via a MA FFL, contact your local FFL and find out if he will transfer an out of state Pre-Ban. There is no LAW that states it must be in the state prior to the ban, but some dealers are known to operate that way and that is their choice.

No idea on where to get one.

Also note that once you have ANY AR that is built on a Pre-Ban lower that meets the AWB description (ie, 2 evil features) you can modify it with parts you want, so you are not 'stuck' if you can't find exactly what you want. ONLY the lower receiver is important.

Hope that helps.

Chris, I think he could use a NH FFL for the sale. Residents of state X can buy longarms from an FFL in state Y. Handguns, however, require the use of an in-state FFL. Your only obligation with buying a preban rifle is to make sure it complies with the AWB when you bring it into MA (ie, make sure it really is a preban).

AR15

Thanks for thw quick replies. I thought the AR fell under the handgun laws since it is an assault weapon and you need a LTC to own one? That being said, I am not sure of this, but I would think that means that I could not go to NH to buy, would this be true? I will call Riley's and see what they say and also contact a gun dealer in MA.

Can you also recommend a good public range in the metrowest area? I have not had time to get involved with membership and I want to figure out where to become one for good. In the meantime, I really want to get back to shooting as I have had a long layoff from it. I am looking to shoot rifle and handgun, but would prefer to not get raped in price if at all possible. Thanks.

Because an AR is a high capacity rifle, you need at least an LTC-B to own one in MA. You can find prebans in MA, but you'll pay handsomely for them, which is why I'd suggest looking outside of MA first, if you have the time. Zero Hour Arms in MA has a good rep for being a place to get ARs, but I haven't done any business with them, so your mileage may vary.

I don't know of any public rifle ranges. Check the club section down the main forum listing a bit.

Thanks for thw quick replies. (snip)
Can you also recommend a good public range in the metrowest area? I have not had time to get involved with membership and I want to figure out where to become one for good. In the meantime, I really want to get back to shooting as I have had a long layoff from it. I am looking to shoot rifle and handgun, but would prefer to not get raped in price if at all possible. Thanks.

PM inbound.

Zero Hour can get you just about anything you want that is legal to own.

They are also reasonable and fair in the $$$

ANd, pretty nice group of guys to deal with.

But being in MA... you'll still pay a preimum for a preban.

+1 Zero Hour will be able to help you and give you a fair price-and they are good guys. You may be able to save a few hundred (or more) by looking for deals on gunbroker, gunsamerica or ar15.com. BUT this may take some time-you then have to factor in shipping and insurance and depending on the requirements of the seller, some may require an FFL as their "policy" and you end up paying a fee(s) and obvioulsy there is some added risk in buying anything over ther internet where you may be buying site-unseen, despite digital photos and asking questions in phone/email, etc. So in the end you may not save all you'd hoped.

I was in a similar situtation as you a few years ago as far as getting back into shooting sports after being out of them a while-and did end up buying my first pre-ban rifle from Zero Hour. For me I liked being able to handle it before I bought it and at least knowing if I did have an issue I could easliy go back to the shop. Since then I have bought other pre-bans via Internet sites without issue but Zero Hour is a regular stop for me.

I would check out Zero Hour since pre-bans are a specialty for them as well as some of the other dealers here in the NES Classifieds section and member ads. If you are getting back into things it is worthwhile to check out the local dealers and see for yourself.

Zero Hour

I spoke with them and they do seem really nice. I am going to go down there to visit and check out what they have. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom