Pre Ban Ar15 in CT

So I've had an Olympic Arms Pre Ban Ar15 lower for the last 3yrs, today I filled out a AW form so I can get a Tax Stamp, I Dropped it off only to have 2 state troopers sit me down and tell me that my pre ban lower receiver that I bought in CT and have had for 3 years is illegal according to a new law passed. Anyone else run into this problem?

Last edited:
So I've had an Olympic Arms Pre Ban Ar15 lower for the last 4yrs, today I filled out a AW form so I can get a Tax Stamp, I Dropped it off only to have 2 state troopers sit me down and tell me that my pre ban lower receiver that I bought in CT and have had for 4 years is illegal according to a new law passed. Anyone else run into this problem?

"pre-ban". Which pre-ban?
If it's pre-94 then it's legal.

But it sounds more like you bought a lower four years ago and failed to register it. Which is a problem in CT as you just found out. Legislation passed after Sandy Hook required people to register the ARs that they had and made it illegal to bring any non-pre-ban into the state. I'm guessing you don't have the "certificate of possession" that had to be issued by Jan 1, 2014 for that particular lower?

despp: Firearms

"pre-ban". Which pre-ban?
If it's pre-94 then it's legal.

But it sounds more like you bought a lower four years ago and failed to register it. Which is a problem in CT as you just found out. Legislation passed after Sandy Hook required people to register the ARs that they had and made it illegal to bring any non-pre-ban into the state. I'm guessing you don't have the "certificate of possession" that had to be issued by Jan 1, 2014 for that particular lower?

despp: Firearms
I bought it 1 year after the law was passed. I got a certificate from Olympic arms stating that the lower was made between 1987-1989.

have 2 state troopers sit me down and tell me that my pre ban lower receiver that I bought in CT and have had for 3 years is illegal according to a new law passed.

Did the Legislature sneak something in or do the Connecticut State Police legislate as well as enforce?

Then either they are accessory to your crime, or totally full of shit...
maybe they just said that so they wouldn't aprove my tax stamp? Who the hell knows, this state is getting worse and worse. I might contact a lawyer and see what they tell me.

(1) “Assault weapon” means:

(A) (i) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson “Linda” Pistol;

(ii) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A)(i) of this subdivision, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A)(i) of this subdivision, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(B) Any of the following specified semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such rifles, that were in production prior to or on April 4, 2013: (i) AK-47; (ii) AK-74; (iii) AKM; (iv) AKS-74U; (v) ARM; (vi) MAADI AK47; (vii) MAK90; (viii) MISR; (ix) NHM90 and NHM91; (x) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86S; (xi) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47; (xii) SA 85; (xiii) SA 93; (xiv) VEPR; (xv) WASR-10; (xvi) WUM; (xvii) Rock River Arms LAR-47; (xviii) Vector Arms AK-47; (xix) AR-10; (xx) AR-15; (xxi) Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster ACR Rifles, Bushmaster MOE Rifles; (xxii) Colt Match Target Rifles; (xxiii) Armalite M15; (xxiv) Olympic Arms AR-15, A1, CAR, PCR, K3B, K30R, K16, K48, K8 and K9 Rifles; (xxv) DPMS Tactical Rifles; (xxvi) Smith and Wesson M&P15 Rifles; (xxvii) Rock River Arms LAR-15; (xxviii) Doublestar AR Rifles; (xxix) Barrett REC7; (xxx) Beretta Storm; (xxxi) Calico Liberty 50, 50 Tactical, 100, 100 Tactical, I, I Tactical, II and II Tactical Rifles; (xxxii) Hi-Point Carbine Rifles; (xxxiii) HK-PSG-1; (xxxiv) Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU Rifles, and RFB; (xxxv) Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615; (xxxvi) SAR-8, SAR-4800 and SR9; (xxxvii) SLG 95; (xxxviii) SLR 95 or 96; (xxxix) TNW M230 and M2HB; (xl) Vector Arms UZI; (xli) Galil and Galil Sporter; (xlii) Daewoo AR 100 and AR 110C; (xliii) Fabrique Nationale/FN 308 Match and L1A1 Sporter; (xliv) HK USC; (xlv) IZHMASH Saiga AK; (xlvi) SIG Sauer 551-A1, 556, 516, 716 and M400 Rifles; (xlvii) Valmet M62S, M71S and M78S; (xlviii) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine; and (xlix) Barrett M107A1;

(C) Any of the following specified semiautomatic pistols, or copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such pistols, that were in production prior to or on April 4, 2013: (i) Centurion 39 AK; (ii) Draco AK-47; (iii) HCR AK-47; (iv) IO Inc. Hellpup AK-47; (v) Mini-Draco AK-47; (vi) Yugo Krebs Krink; (vii) American Spirit AR-15; (viii) Bushmaster Carbon 15; (ix) Doublestar Corporation AR; (x) DPMS AR-15; (xi) Olympic Arms AR-15; (xii) Rock River Arms LAR 15; (xiii) Calico Liberty III and III Tactical Pistols; (xiv) Masterpiece Arms MPA Pistols and Velocity Arms VMA Pistols; (xv) Intratec TEC-DC9 and AB-10; (xvi) Colefire Magnum; (xvii) German Sport 522 PK and Chiappa Firearms Mfour-22; (xviii) DSA SA58 PKP FAL; (xix) I.O. Inc. PPS-43C; (xx) Kel-Tec PLR-16 Pistol; (xxi) Sig Sauer P516 and P556 Pistols; and (xxii) Thompson TA5 Pistols;

I still dont fully understand the law or how its interpreted in CT. But neither does anybody else, and i wouldnt trust the opinion of some idiot CT Trooper. Basically what CT did to stop the flow of prebans that were being sold, was included the text of the old law, into the new law. So, after the new law was passed in 2014, it (in the opinion of the state at the time) overrode the previous law that specifically named a bunch of rifles. So since that was the case stores started selling anything made prior to 94 because the new law just focused on features, unlike the old law the specifically named certain models, colt sporter, oly arms ar15, bushmaster carbon 15 etc. Prior to the new law you could buy any pre-ban not specifically named. So when the state found out anything pre-94 was being sold, they decided that they were now going to add the old law in to the new law. So now as it supposedly stands, none of the specifically named guns made pre-94, or any post 14 ban gun that has one or more feature, can be transferred in the state.

Now that you are even more confused, this is how i remember it used to be, if your rifle had the stop sign logo it was good to go, if it had the lion logo it wasnt. I could be wrong here. But if i were you i would just drop the SBR idea and continue using what you've got, unless you're really worried about it. Im exempt in CT, military, so i can own whatever. If you are in a bad way PM me and ill try to help you out however I can.

From the DESPP web site. This went up after PA13-3 and was up until recently.

It is the opinion of the DESPP that any pre-ban gun is legal. pre-ban_assault_weapons can be transferred.jpg

CT Carry's interpretation, via our attorney Rachel Baird has always been that any pre-94 ban gun that was not named, is legal.

Also, note that for a gun to be considered "named" the name must match perfectly. In other words, the colt AR15 is banned by name. But the AR15 Hbar Sporter is not.

See page 2. Nothing official has been said or written by the DESPP on this topic since this.

Attachments

• Musial2012 Brake Suppressor Colt emails.pdf
    897.4 KB · Views: 26
Guys, Stop, Just apply for an AOW tax stamp for your items. AOW Items are legal in the State. Make it an SBR or some other form of AOW, it is legal. But you need to get the tax stamp first then convert it. You are making it using a form 1. Please tell me I am wrong, The ATF told me today it is ok to make an AOW in CT.

I agree with dynotyme.
However I need to make a correction. Dynotime implies that a SBR is an AOW. It is not. It is a separate classification of NFA weapon. To transfer or make a SBR is a $200 stamp.
In contrast, to make an AOW requires a $200 stamp, but to TRANSFER an AOW is a $5 stamp.

Don

If you reread I did not imply anything. I said make it an SWB or some other form of AOW. so
take your form 1 and put SWB on it if that is what you are making

or
take your form 1 and put AOW if you are putting a forward grip on your pistol. I hope that is clear, and I never said anything about a transfer as you are making the firearm. But you will have to pay 200 to the ATF.

If you own a lower pre 2013 or 2014 not sure and you sent the paperwork into the state that has never been a rifle then you can build a Connecticut "OTHER" Build as a pistol, used a sig brace, use a barrel 12" or longer and a front pistol grip. This is an "OTHER" legal in ct.

you can build one from a 80% lower pistol And in this case, you do have to use the form 1 and 200$

On the Form 1 just fill out the information required Do not use a trust as you will wait about 2X as long over just putting your name on the form.

To build a SBR you can use an 80% ( as most if any dealer will sell you a lower in ct even though it is not a AW)

put your serial # on the Form 1 and wait. Once you get the form back finish the lower put the Serial Number on the finished lower and the MFG that is you. Then purchase a short barrel, a rifle stock and everything you need to finish your new rifle ( this is not a Connecticut assault weapon under Connecticut law) and it does not have to register with the state of Ct. good luck all

it is late and I have been rambling Use the ATF and Connecticut law and you to can have an ar style rifle with a removable magazine. The ATF will help you all you have to do is call 304 616 4600 then ask for the tracing dept. that number is 304 262 0239 have fun

Also, go to the ATF web site and order all the forms you need for free get more than you need to, takes 2-3 days to get the forms. you do not need permission from the police dept all you have to do is fill out the form and drop a copy off the police cannot say no and do not have a vote in this matter. Just you and the ATF.

Yes, you have to send the200 to the ATF with your fingerprints and two passport pictures. It is so easy hell why not just apply for your FFL at the same time. cost 150$ for the FFL

Errors mistakes spelling grammar and all things English I do not care right now

If i mixed up anything sorry but I hope you guys get the point you are not building AW weapons. read between the lines of the Connecticut law.
Connecticut law it is not a Rifle if it does not have a buttstock
it is not a pistol as long as it has a forward grip
it is not a pistol if the barrel is over 12"
it is not a AOW as it must be over 26" in length
it is not anything in their classification so " OTHER " was born no tax stamp

and since the ct AWB specifically bans AW under Rifle, Pistol and shotgun categories
both Connecticut law and by the ATF decision ergo is not an AW and is ct legal Smile.

Do this now while you can and before the law may be changed

Make it an SBR or some other form of AOW, it is legal.
Its not a big deal.

I'm a bit of a grammar NAZI.

Your statement above could imply that to those that don't know otherwise, that an SBR is an "other form of an AOW", or a type of AOW. I wanted to clarify that an AOW and a SBR are completely separate items under the NFA.

Don

Last edited:
I sell Pre Bans in the shop all the time and they are legal. Pre 94, NOT After the Sandy Hook Ban. We have plenty of AR variants that are completely legal still in CT.

I called Colt to confirm my HBAR was pre-ban, it is. So, if I'm reading the thread right, an AR 15 HBAR made by Colt back in 1980's is still legal to own and if I decide to sell it, there shouldn't be any problem?

Does anyone know if any CT or ATF laws apply to buying a preban Knights Armament SR-25 SBR from an individual that lives in CT and having the individual transfer it to me as an SBR using all the necessary ATF NFA paperwork? Does it matter if it is a preban and not registered in CT as an "Assault Weapon"? I'm reading in some threads that the ATF won't allow an SBR transfer in CT unless it was registered as an "Assult Weapon" first. They don't care if it is a preban and was never registered as an "Assault weapon". They still require the CT "Assault Weapon" registration. Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if any CT or ATF laws apply to buying a preban Knights Armament SR-25 SBR from an individual that lives in CT and having the individual transfer it to me as an SBR using all the necessary ATF NFA paperwork? Does it matter if it is a preban and not registered in CT as an "Assault Weapon"? I'm reading in some threads that the ATF won't allow an SBR transfer in CT unless it was registered as an "Assult Weapon" first. They don't care if it is a preban and was never registered as an "Assault weapon". They still require the CT "Assault Weapon" registration. Thanks.

If its pre-2013/4 ban then it can never be transferred in CT.

If its pre-1994 ban, then
Per the state - its a rifle that would require a DPS3 form to be filled per the instructions on teh form. A DPS67 form and an approval number from the DESPP

Per the Feds - its a SBR and would require an ATF Form 4 to be done with a $200 tax paid.

Back
Top Bottom