• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre ban AR lower, need some opinions

I currently own a pre ban Colt Sporter lower receiver. Nice to have, but the sear block and grey color are getting on my nerves. Most of my BCGs are M16 profile, and swapping hardware around every time I decide to try a new upper is a royal pain. Not to mention that the lower not matching the upper really brings out my inner OCD. So far, the non-standard trigger pins and the large takedown pin haven't been a huge issue for me.

I see three options: one is to leave it alone (but what fun is that?); two, have the sear block milled out, the 3rd hole plugged, and the lower either anodized or Cerakoted black (time and $$$, plus I imagine it could negatively impact the resale value); and three is to offload this lower and find an Eagle Arms, Bushmaster, etc. instead.

Thoughts?

Does that tend to hurt potential resale value, or is it generally regarded as desirable?

I can only guess here, but I will try to make it educated.

What do you think has more value with this lower, the fact that it is a Colt Sporter, or it's Pre-bannyness?

For someone in MA, the fact that it is Pre 1994 IMO is the real value. Most guys that buy pre ban lowers just want to assemble them with new parts and not have to pin comps, and shave lugs. Since you want to fix the "funny" parts of it, I would say you help resale value, for that market. I would just want a lower that works with standard parts and not have to mess around.

Now for a Colt collector who wants to keep it original, you are going to lose value to that guy.

Now of course when all AWBs are declared unconstitutional, you will wish you kept it stock. But you aren't the only one who can Dream to Dream!

Keep it fully original. ARs that are mutants are a commodity, even in a ban state like MA.

Does that tend to hurt potential resale value, or is it generally regarded as desirable?

Resale value? In 45 other states it's just an old lower. The only reason it's worth any more here is because the date it was made. No serious collectors care about a late 80's / early 90's sear-blocked Colt.

If anything milling out the block will increase it's resale value, since the typical buyer is going to want to tactikool it up anyway.

As for the color, you could get it stripped and re-anodized or cerakoted. The later is probably a lot cheaper.

Seeing as I only have the lower, and not the complete rifle, there isn't a big collectors value either.

Point taken. Thanks!

Exactly. If you were talking about Cerakoting a complete AR15 A2 H-Bar, then I'd try to talk you out of it. But its value is now functional. If you sell it, people kknow that as a Colt it will be within spec, even if they have to run an AR15 BC and need to use those hokey conversion pins.

- - - Updated - - -

Resale value? In 45 other states it's just an old lower. The only reason it's worth any more here is because the date it was made. No serious collectors care about a late 80's / early 90's sear-blocked Colt.

If anything milling out the block will increase it's resale value, since the typical buyer is going to want to tactikool it up anyway.

As for the color, you could get it stripped and re-anodized or cerakoted. The later is probably a lot cheaper.

You're kindof overstating it. They are worth more in several states because you can build them however you want. Because of that, there pretty much are not any pre-ban lowers left in any other states.

And yes, collectors do want late 80s/early 90s Colts. But they want them complete and original, and preferably with the original "Green Label" box.

Set it free; if it loves you it will come back. If not take the $500.00 from the sale of the colt and find five replacements to take her place.

I'd mill but that's cause I have a mill now and it would be a lot less clean up. I can get away with this vs trying to sneak it into my work lol . It looks like you'd just have to mill off the top nub.. Which wouldn't take that long .

Back
Top Bottom