• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre Ban AR-15

Prebans are legal in mass.
If you are building a "pre-ban" the receiver must have been registered with assault weapon features prior to the AWB. The rest of the parts can be bran-new. The magazine must be have been made prior to the AWB also, no exception unless LEO/MIL use.

The restriction on magazines applies only to large capacity magazines, and then regardless of what sort of firearm (i.e., pre-ban, post-ban, no-ban) they're for.

Ken

By law if the receiver was not configured with the detachable magazine, pistol grip, folding/ telescoping, flash supressor, bayonet lug, prior to that date in 1994; don't get caught with it in MA.

From the sounds of it you are looking to construct one from a recently made receiver so all bets are off. The most you can do is either pin the magazine in place to have all those features or use an A1 or "tactical entry" stock for the shorter length and pick up a post-ban upper which is available through RRA or Stag.

The bayonet lug and flash hider won't do for MA. Give them a call and see if they have any "post ban- MA compliant" uppers.

You could also call Pete at Legal Tranfers in Plaistow, NH. I picked up my lower from him not too long ago and he said that he can get the uppers for MA with out a problem. Check the Equipment Exchange over at ar15.com, his prices there are better than what is listed on his website www.ar15sales.com.

Help unconfuse me :)

By law if the receiver was not configured with the detachable magazine, pistol grip, folding/ telescoping, flash supressor, bayonet lug, prior to that date in 1994; don't get caught with it in MA.

From the sounds of it you are looking to construct one from a recently made receiver so all bets are off. The most you can do is either pin the magazine in place to have all those features or use an A1 or "tactical entry" stock for the shorter length and pick up a post-ban upper which is available through RRA or Stag.

Sorry to beat this subject to death but I am soooo confoosed!

So a Pre-1994 lower mated with a Pre-1994 upper which incorporates all of the above features (detach mag, pistol grip, telescoping stock, flash suppressor & bayo lug) would be MA legal as is? Orrrr, does it need to have been MA-registered prior to the 1994 date as well? Would it have to have been rgistered as a single unit in MA pre-1994? And, what if the lower is pre-1994 but the upper is not?

Sorry to be such a nudge, especially since I know this stuff has been asked and answered in the past. I didn't pay attention back then and its only recently that I have become interested in purchasing an AR. Have been searching the board for most of the morning and haven't found answers yet on my own.

Thanks in advance folks!

-Ted

Ted-

If you want to build/buy a rifle that has 2 or more of the "ban" features, it MUST be built using a lower receiver that was 1) built prior to the cut-off date in September of 1994 (13?) and 2) the receiver must have been built into a complete rifle, including 2 or more of the banned parts, at some point prior to the cut-off date.

In other words, the receiver must have been "christened" as a complete, evil, flash-hiding, baby-killing assault weapon prior to 9/94, not just built as a receiver alone before then.

The fact that the receiver's serial number dates to before 9/94 is not good enough by itself. You should, to be safe, get a letter from the manufacturer certifying that the serial number corresponds to a complete rifle with "banned' features, that was built as such prior to 9/94. I know that Bushmaster will do this and probably some others will as well.

Another easy way to deal with this is to buy a Colt lower receiver with a pre-94 serial number, because Colt only sells, and only sold, complete rifles. You'll pay a premium for it, though.

I too apologize for beating this subject to death...but I'm even MORE confused...[crying] I plan on emaling Pete for some information about building a legal AR with some of his products...

Where can I get Post Ban lowers and uppers? (is THAT legal???)

But would I just be better off buying a used legal AR?

Or......

Could I just run up to NH, buy whatever I want, then bring it back to MA?

Sorry and thanks[grin]

EDIT: what do YOU guys recommend I do?

I recommend searching for a pre-ban lower.Although Pete will hook you up with post ban everything.

Sure,you can go to NH and buy whatever you want,but you would be risking a court date...Though if you want to Martyr yourself and challenge the constitutionality of MA stupid laws...

If one wants to do this correctly + cheaply, the best deal is to go on
arfcoms equipment exchange and look for some preban lowers (which
were assembeld as gun before the ban). Shouldnt cost more than
a few hundred bucks for a complete lower. Then you can attach whatever
the heck you want to it.

It's not going to cost you all that much in the end game to avoid
having a gun with a felony rap attached to it. Because all but a small
handful of states dont need prebans anymore, the market has more preban
ARs than it knows what to do with.

Also, sometimes you can do a "lower swap" with a guy that has a preban
gun... some guys will let you send them like two new lowers via FFL to
get their one preban back, etc. If the person is really nice they'll do a
1 - 1 exchange in the interest of keeping a fellow gunner legal.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom