• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre Ban AR 15 lower question.

Is it legal for someone to purchase a stripped AR 15 Lower
that has been manufactured prior to the 1994 Connecticut Assault Weapons Ban and build a complete rifle with evil features (sliding stock/flash hider)?

Does anyone have a definative answere on this issue or are our laws just that screwed up?

Search the post on ar15.com there is a whole section to this. My personal understanding of the law is the receiver is the registered part and thus legal. I have one of these.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

Lower on the AR15 is the "firearm." Provided the preban lower you are purchasing is not a "Colt AR15" or "Colt Sporter" or any variation of those - "Sporter II," "AR15A2," etc, then you are good to go.

Remember there is nothing in the statute that says the rifle had to be assembled before the cutoff date. The key word is "manufactured" and that is all that matters.

Last edited:
Lower on the AR15 is the "firearm." Provided the preban lower you are not purchasing is not a "Colt AR15" or "Colt Sporter" or any variation of those - "Sporter II," "AR15A2," etc, then you are good to go.
????
the not-not, and can you elaborate on the Colt thing here, what's wrong with them?

????the not-not,

I'm pretty sure the first "not" was a mistype.

and can you elaborate on the Colt thing here, what's wrong with them?

They are listed specifically in the CT definition of "assault weapon" :

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1)...any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:...Colt AR-15 and Sporter;

The accepted interpretation of the statute is that if a non-Colt AR (or stripped lower) was made before the ban date, it is not considered to be an AW and can be legally built up with all the evil features you could have before the ban.

This is FACT.

Unfortunately the market price of these lowers reflect this. I bought my first pre-ban lower in 03 for about $200 at a time when normal lowers cost $85.

I bought my second pre-ban in 07 for $400 and my third for $500 in 08.

I own a pre-ban Colt. Admittedly, it is much more dangerous than other pre-ban manufactured ARs out there. I'm glad that they were banned. Mine tried to kill me a few years ago while I slept, and it has robbed me numerous times. Very bad, those Colts.... can't trust them.[smile]

FSB-levels-16bri.jpg

This one's brother was acting up. Now he stays in line, knowing this could happen to his family at any moment.

I wouldn't trust it. Blood is thick, the brother might turn on you. You should find a nice AK (not in 7.62 x 39) to guard that evil Colt lower.

I wouldn't trust the AK. It can easily be bribed and or will get drunk on vodka and neglect it's duties. [smile]

I have an FAL. He may speak French, but he'll kick the ass off of anything and will side with Americans.

Back
Top Bottom