• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pre ban AR 15 30 round mag issues

boscru

NES Member
so i have 3 of these that just don't work anymore. hard to fit in, won't drop out of the mag well, actually almost jammed in. worked fine when i bought them a couple of years ago, they look OK compared to others.

junk????

anderson lower. others mags work

They can get banged up and nocked out of "square"
Look real close, if they used to work you should be able to see why they dont, or mark them as sucky and toss them in junk pile.

is the back of the mag (the spine) separating? only other thoughts would be when the mags dry flim lube finish is all worn off they can get "sticky".

You could try replacing the springs with new Wolff springs and install no tilt followers like these . Also try loading to 29, not 30.

I had issues with a couple mags last year, did all of the above and then run without a hiccup now.

Also, if you don't already do this, number your magazines so you can identify the specific ones giving you trouble.

You could try replacing the springs with new Wolff springs and install no tilt followers like these . Also try loading to 29, not 30.

I had issues with a couple mags last year, did all of the above and then run without a hiccup now.

Also, if you don't already do this, number your magazines so you can identify the specific ones giving you trouble.
We marked shit mags with a match caliber size holes....strip the follower /spring and floor plate for spare parts . Chuck the body?

I don't know how easily the standard AR 30-rounder can be beaten up to where it won't reliably feed anymore. They seem pretty tough to me. All of mine got new springs and Magpul anti-tilt followers and run perfectly afterwards. I've had failure to feed issues in my AR before and they were all with original USGI mags with the "tilty" followers. Zero issues after Magpul's went in.

I had a couple of used prebans that wouldn't insert easily and didn't drop free. I lightly squeezed them in the vise right at the problem areas, which brought them back into spec. Problem solved.

thanks folks, i already gave these a good look, and tried a few tweaks before posting the thread.

i will try some of the suggestions posted, and hope i don't end up using uzi2's advice [banghead]

I don't know how easily the standard AR 30-rounder can be beaten up to where it won't reliably feed anymore. They seem pretty tough to me. All of mine got new springs and Magpul anti-tilt followers and run perfectly afterwards. I've had failure to feed issues in my AR before and they were all with original USGI mags with the "tilty" followers. Zero issues after Magpul's went in.

Is very easy and can happen to lots of mag types.

Drop it on the feed lip end when its full and bend the feed lips or dent the side. Its always a good idea to have a pair of long nose pliers in the range bag.

The toughest mags I've seen are steel, milsurp AK mags......they can take a pretty good beating and still work flawlessly.

Sell them on gunbroker, buy more on gunbroker for less then you sold the old set.

Leaving mag loaded for extended periods of time can cause issues, aswell as dropping them, ruff storage.

Sell them on gunbroker, buy more on gunbroker for less then you sold the old set.

Leaving mag loaded for extended periods of time can cause issues, aswell as dropping them, ruff storage.

The only mags I've ever seen that had issues being left loaded were M11/9 Cobray plastic mags. They were made with a crappy plastic, no internal metal reinforcement and do not have metal feed lips. They have a seam at the rear top that will develop a split over time. They are the only mags I own that I do not leave loaded. Every other magazine I own stays fully loaded all the time.

Other than those Cobray M11/9 magazines, I've not seen any others that ever had a problem being left loaded to full capacity and left that way for years.
As a result, I don't trust any plastic mags unless they are reinforced with a metal insert with metal feed lips like Glock mags and some of the others.

The only mags I've ever seen that had issues being left loaded were M11/9 Cobray plastic mags. They were made with a crappy plastic, no internal metal reinforcement and do not have metal feed lips. They have a seam at the rear top that will develop a split over time. They are the only mags I own that I do not leave loaded. Every other magazine I own stays fully loaded all the time.

Other than those Cobray M11/9 magazines, I've not seen any others that ever had a problem being left loaded to full capacity and left that way for years.
As a result, I don't trust any plastic mags unless they are reinforced with a metal insert with metal feed lips like Glock mags and some of the others.
75 round chinese ak left full for alomost 15 years. i swear it worked better than ever even pushing out some rusty cartridges and the mak 90 ate every one of them.

Back
Top Bottom