Pre Ban 80% in CT

Hello all,
I am thinking of returning to CT, and I have a number of rifles made from 80% receivers I made back in 91-92. Things have changed there since I last lived there in the early 00's, should these rifles be a concern?

My first post here, and thanks in advance for any answers.

ETA it was actually a 0% forging as that's what was available back in the day, but the functional outcome is the same.

Last edited:
It is legal. Period.

With that said. There has been a lot of discussion in CT of how a non-serialized home made receiver could be proven to be pre-94 ban. Well, as long as there isn't any way for the state to disprove that, then you are clean.

Its not your responsibility to prove that its pre-94. It would be their responsibility to prove that it is NOT.

So my statement is based on the assumption that it truly is a pre-94 receiver. I'm not suggesting with a nod and a wink that someone should try to pass off a more modern 80% lower as pre-94.

The truth of the matter is that in 1994, the 80% receiver didn't exist in the marketplace as it does today. Well, they were extremely EXTREMELY rare. So please be careful.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to say that if it is truly pre-ban you should hesitate. Not in the least. I'm saying that if your idea is to finesse it, please don't. In modern society, its nearly impossible to not leave some kind of a trail that you bought it more recently.

Its pre ban all right, have others that are more recent as well (will leave these in free America).

I am trying to untangle what to do otherwise as well. Are all pre bans ok to possess now? Even if they were on the old named list? Sounds like they are not transferable in CT now?

What a mess.

Pre-bans that were on the named list are not legal to possess unless you registered them in 1994. At least that is what the state is now saying. There has been some confusion on this though. The state originally said, that even if it was named, its now legal. Then they changed their mind last year. So the risk of having a named pre94 gun is pretty much zero.

As far as post 94 but pre 2013 ban guns, if you registered by 1/1/2014, you could now possess them. Even if they didn't have a serial number. I had some registrations kicked back because I didn't list a SN. Eventually they sorted it out. Of course I was trying to register a pistol grip. ha.

But the bottom line is that if you didn't register a post-94-ban gun by 1/1/14, you can not legally possess one in CT.

And you are correct. A registered Post 94, pre 2013 ban gun that is legal for you to possess, can no longer be transferred in CT. There are 4 ways it can be transferred legally. 1) sell or transfer it to someone out of state. 2) when you die, they can legally transfer to anyone named in your will, even if they are in CT. It must be an explicit bequeathment. It can't be "oh my grandpa died, and my grandma wants me to have his guns". The guns must be explicitly left to someone in your will. 3) Transfer it to a CT FFL 4) Transfer it to the police (which you should never do)

Last edited:
LOL, Kafka would be proud, wouldn't he.
So basically they want previously named prebans to be illegal to possess, but they just aren't illegal to possess. Did I get that right?

Considering a MAK90, would they be any different as they are an "AK47 type"?

Does the Mak90 use the same bolt as the AK?

There is case law in CT that determined that if it uses the same bolt, its an "Avtomat Kalashnikov type". That is why AKs in anything other than 7.62x39 were legal in CT provided they were properly neutered, prior to the 2013 ban.

I will try and find the citation, but am short of time tonight. At trial a trooper from the Special Weapons unit testified that the bolt was the "heart and lungs" of an AK. So the judge in his judgement against the defendant said that since whatever variant the defendant had used the same bolt it was a member of the "type".

Implicit in that is that if it does not use the same bolt, it is not the same type. And that's how AKs were sold in CT for years. Most people owned AK74s. Or preban Norincos or Polytech. I've shot the Norinco 84 in .223. Its a sweet shooter. And is still legal in CT since its pre-94 ban. Very accurate and finished to a higher level than Warsaw sourced AKs. The only downside is the mags, which cost somewhere around $90 each.

MAK90 are pre ban (Norinco). Yes it does take the same bolt.

If pre ban is pre ban sounds like AK type is irrelevant?

The Norinco 5.56's are way, way nice. Makes me sick to remember how cheap they were back in the day. Might be able to use Galil mags?

Thank you very much for your replies!

Back
Top Bottom