• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre-94 ARs still legal in CT?

So, after getting a tip, I did a little digging.

From PA 13-220

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):
Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, as amended by this act, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

So it looks like pre-'94 "assault weapons" are still legal in CT?

Anyone have thoughts on this one?

I believe yes, they may be transferred within the state. But not brought into the state any longer. So supply is limited to existing.

This is only my interpretation of that section taken with the rest of the bill.

You need to get out of the unconstitutional state.

legal to own or legal to buy? Own is no problem, register it and you're fine till they confiscate. I dont think you can buy one. after 94 you could not not, and the new law allows less features

You only couldn't buy a colt AR, actually. I've got an Eagle Arms legal pre-ban lower no problem, from out of state.

And yeah. I do need to move. If I wasn't helping out my family, I'd already be packed for NH.

legal to own or legal to buy? Own is no problem, register it and you're fine till they confiscate. I dont think you can buy one. after 94 you could not not, and the new law allows less features

My personal understanding is any non-Colt AR15 made prior to 1994 may still be bought and sold among private parties within the state.

As far as I can tell this is a very gray area since the idiots writing this crap know very little about the law or firearms.

My personal understanding is any non-Colt AR15 made prior to 1994 may still be bought and sold among private parties within the state.

As far as I can tell this is a very gray area since the idiots writing this crap know very little about the law or firearms.
pre 94 guns were ok to buy before 2013 ban. colts were not banned by name only two models the "sporter" and the "ar15". the ar15a2, carbine, lightweight, hbar match etc were all not considered on the assault weapon list. the ar15 variants were banned by name while the ak47 were banned by type. if you go read the way they worded it you will this clearly.
after the first ban for new guns you had to look at feature count and named guns.
i owned an hbar since 91 with flashhider and bayolug, i could have added a grenade launcher too and i did not have to register it. now i have a choice to reg it or neuter it with a comp, shaved lug and one of those nonpistol grips (not sure if this will pass the test due the hand under gun action (buffer tube/spring) wording. i will probably reg it since they know i own it and will save it for home use only.
i guess the children are safe when i throw my wood stock m1 carbine in the truck with ten 10 round mags.

Last edited:
pre 94 guns were ok to buy before 2013 ban. colts were not banned by name only two models the "sporter" and the "ar15". the ar15a2, carbine, lightweight, hbar match etc were all not considered on the assault weapon list. the ar15 variants were banned by name while the ak47 were banned by type. if you go read the way they worded it you will this clearly.
after the first ban for new guns you had to look at feature count and named guns.
i owned an hbar since 91 with flashhider and bayolug, i could have added a grenade launcher too and i did not have to register it. now i have a choice to reg it or neuter it with a comp, shaved lug and one of those nonpistol grips (not sure if this will pass the test due the hand under gun action (buffer tube/spring) wording. i will probably reg it since they know i own it and will save it for home use only.
i guess the children are safe when i throw my wood stock m1 carbine in the truck with ten 10 round mags.

That's why I said Colt AR15. I forgot about the Sporter.

That's why I said Colt AR15. I forgot about the Sporter.
when you said "My personal understanding is any non-Colt AR15 made prior to 1994" I thought you meant "ar15 type" rifle. if you look at the list they banned certain bushmasters and i believe armalites. i dont believe there any non-Colt AR15 because i believe AR15 is copyrighted by Colt.

True, but if you hurry up and leave I promise I'll lobby Derek to have your handle changed to some close variation of NHpatriot [smile]

True, but if you hurry up and leave I promise I'll lobby Derek to have your handle changed to some close variation of NHpatriot [smile]
as soon as my house hits 7 figures, i am outta here, may take 3 years. what are decent 20+ acre tracts of woods/fields with a pond or stream selling for? i want to build a no mortgage house and have low property taxes. my taxes alone are over $1000 per month and i want to stop feeding .gov soon.

Land depends on location. If you look in the south central to south west I see parcels selling for under $1500 per acre.

Land depends on location. If you look in the south central to south west I see parcels selling for under $1500 per acre.
thanks, i was figuring more so i may have to start looking for something with a huge barn.

Back
Top Bottom