Pre 7/20 AR Transfer From NH

Hello,

Not sure if you can answer this question for me or not…

I hold an active class A LTC. I moved to New Hampshire last week. I want to sell my MA compliant (purchased prior to 7/20/16) Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport II to a friend of mine who also has an active LTC and still lives in Mass. Can we do a personal transfer or does it need to be done through a dealer? Please note, I have all the receipts and records for it to show it was purchased prior to 7/20/16.

Thanks!

-Mike

You would need a dealer as you are now a non MA resident. Good luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You had a tough time finding someone to do it huh? Wondering if I will have a tough time too. Were you transferring from out of state? Maybe it's easier for me to just modify my AR, e.g. thread the barrel for a flash hider and get a new telescoping stock for it.

Hello,

I hold an active class A LTC. I moved to New Hampshire last week. I want to sell my MA compliant (purchased prior to 7/20/16) Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport II to a friend of mine who also has an active LTC and still lives in Mass. Can we do a personal transfer or does it need to be done through a dealer? Please note, I have all the receipts and records for it to show it was purchased prior to 7/20/16.

Thanks!

-Mike

Are you sure you moved last week? I thought you said you were moving next week.

Spoke to MFS and they said they won't do it and no other dealer probably will either... I just called a smith up in NH and I'm just going to pay a couple hundred bucks to get the barrel threaded and a flash hider installed along with a new adjustable stock. Can't be showing up to my new range with a MA compliant AR, they'd laugh me right out of there HAHA!

Spoke to MFS and they said they won't do it and no other dealer probably will either... I just called a smith up in NH and I'm just going to pay a couple hundred bucks to get the barrel threaded and a flash hider installed along with a new adjustable stock. Can't be showing up to my new range with a MA compliant AR, they'd laugh me right out of there HAHA!

Another option would be to replace the upper and stock/buffer tube with non-neutered ones and sell the neutered parts to a MA resident.

No, once you are no longer a legal resident of MA, FTF between 2 parties not residents of the same state is a Federal crime (and is prosecuted except if you are of a "privileged class" . . . media under the Big Zero admin).

The Maddog AG's edict prohibits any MA FFL from transferring any AR made after 9/13/1994, period. So that is a dead-end. And the AG IS reviewing all MA Dealer FA-10s and querying them on what they did!

Since a condition of an FFL (from BATFE) is that any transfers be legal in BOTH the state it happens in AND legal for the new owner to possess . . . but the AG declared all post-9/13/1994 transfers were felonies . . . thus BATFE can make the point that no other non-MA FFL can make such a transfer either.

Seems you took the best solution, just de-Massify it and enjoy.

A couple of hundred bucks?? For a threaded barrel with flash hider? For that, you can get a complete new upper, then sell the neutered upper complete.

ETA: I probably have an extra adjustable stock. It's yours if you want it. Consider it the free-state version of a house-warming gift.

Last edited:
As mentioned, just get a new upper, or at least a new barrel. Unless that was some $500 or more match grade it is not really worth the work.

You could always sell the Mass Native upper to a Mass resident. Use the proceeds to help fund a free state upper.

Hello,

Thanks!

-Mike

If you've already formally declared your residency swap, it's too late.

Frankly your friend should start sniffing around, it won't take him very long to find a brand new in AR at non rape prices if he's resourceful.

As far as un-neutering your gun goes, it shouldn't really cost that much, unless you buy an expensive FH or stock.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom