• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pre 2016 Anderson lower with pre ban upper?

OK guys. Did a little bit of searching and getting conflicting info.

I have an Anderson lower purchased like 5 years ago. Have the opportunity to buy complete bushmaster upper. Person says it is pre ban so has bayonet lug and A2 flash hider.

If what I read is correct in order to make it MA compliant it needs a pinned compensator and cut the bayonet lug off.
Is this correct.

Thanks

If you want to follow the law, the Assault Weapon Ban in this state doesn't allow the evil features. So the way you are reading things, you would be correct. Tell the seller he is a moron. There is no thing as pre ban uppers. He would be correct if you were putting it on a pre ban lower. But you are not. Also, please do not pay a premium for this "pre ban" upper. Do not be sold on it. You can throw ANY upper on your soon to be built lower and still have to follow the AWB if that's your thing.

Unfortunately I have already done this (been shopping for a couple of years now) I never found an online dealer that would ship a complete upper for $200 let alone ship to MA.
Even Palmetto never gets that cheap.
I really wanted something with the A2 style front post as I want to use traditional iron sights rather then a scope or reflex sight.

I am waiting for my local gun store to open (11 am) and will ask what they charge to pin and weld a new comp...Whatever they charge is what I will try to take away from the price. I can easily cut the lug off myself. I do really appreciate all the help you guys are providing I have been wanting an AR for a long time now so really looking forward to maybe having a finished product.
I have had my complete lower sitting in my gun cabinet for almost 5 years now.

Yes many times...best I could ever find from them is the $350+ range and that is with out the A2 front sight post.
Darn. I recommend searching out of state. As long as your lower is pre-Healey you can grab whatever upper your heart desires so long as you Massify the rifle. I grabbed an upper in NH and it’s been decent.

Yes many times...best I could ever find from them is the $350+ range and that is with out the A2 front sight post.
I recently received an Email from some company advertising an AR upper for $200. I don't recall who it was as I'm not buying any uppers right now. But they are out there.

To be fair to OP, demand over the past 3 weeks has likely increased prices/reduced supply.

I recently received an Email from some company advertising an AR upper for $200. I don't recall who it was as I'm not buying any uppers right now. But they are out there.

There was a thread here a while back discussing parts quality, and a company name was specifically mentioned. It's about 2 hour south of me. Their upper builds do not contain a BCG, but they have a 16" for $149.99 unassembled, +$20 assembled. Again, what kind of parts are you getting for that price, and is it worth having (in drgrant's words) a wobblef*** rifle? That's a question you have to answer for yourself. No idea if this company will ship to MA.

Darn. I recommend searching out of state. As long as your lower is pre-Healey you can grab whatever upper your heart desires so long as you Massify the rifle. I grabbed an upper in NH and it’s been decent.

Any lower is fine with any compliant upper. Follow laws that are actually on the books, random edicts from government officials are not laws, and should be totally ignored.

Alright people, Thank you all for your responses.
So I did end up buying the upper. I was able to get him down to $350 as I told him I would have to cut off the bayonet lug get a different compensator and then take it to a gun shop and get it pinned and welded. He also gave me a 10 round mag.
I had another friend give me a magpul pinned buttstock.
So my next question when looking at replacement compensators there are 2 sizes 5/8 and 1/2. Is that just the outside diameter of the threads?
I have my order created at primary arms just not sure on that part, I am picking up the cheapest comp I can find KAK. (Or if you can give me a suggestion that would cost less than $35-40)
Also getting a snap on dust cover as this one doesn't have one and I don't want to remove the delta ring and a basic magpul back up sight as carry handles are really expensive right now.

Last edited:
1/2 x 28 is for a 223/556 barrel

5/8 x 24 is for a 7.63/308 barrel

9mm and other calibers have other twist rates

I have a Kaw valley precision linear comp that I like. you or your smith will have to time the comp with a crush/shim before the weld

I have a Kaw valley precision linear comp that I like. you or your smith will have to time the comp with a crush/shim before the weld
Let the smith do it since many want to clean before installation so oil does not Impact the quality of the weld.

As a rule of thumb, but not always. Gotta be careful and know the threads of your barrel regardless.

Did it have the BCG? Typically for that price it would not. OP's has the BCG- looks like nickel or nickel boron?

Tweed, thanks 1/2 is what I figured.
I was going to order a comp today from Primary Arms but all there 1/2" crush sleeves are on back order.
There are so many freaking choices of comps muzzle breaks how do you choose?

I did get me a snap on dust cover and an AR multi tool. woohoo.

Back
Top Bottom