Practical precision rifle match at Hopkinton. August 13.

Bumpity Bump.....weather's going to be perfect this Sat! Stages are posted on Practiscore using the link in the OP scroll to the bottom and click the "Stages" button

Technically a squad-mate helped me out with the video of me shooting but I did shoot my own video of the targets :p

I'm still new to all this so I will sometimes wear my big cuddle bag on a stage that I don't need it and at that point yes it's just a distraction. On the stages in the video where I actually have it tucked under my arm it does help me a lot. Ideally you use your skeletal system for support, elbow on knee etc, but on some stages that isn't possible and that bag helps fill space and keep my out of shape ass from shaking all over the place. Shooters like SJan can live off one bag but some of us need a little more help!

There were more stages to the match, I haven't had time to edit them up yet.....oddly I also didn't do as well on those ;)

I watch the video and just think that knee pads would have been a nice thing to add

Funny thing, at the start of the first stage in the video he asks if I’m ready and I look at the lowest position I planned to use and realized I had to be on both knees but only had one knee pad on….said “oh well” and just hoped I didn’t kneel on an empty casing with my right knee 😂

I wouldn’t say they are required but you are correct that they are really really good to have.

@BostonBullit - nice shootin'! Very nice rifle. Vudoo?

Anyone using 10/22's or 'built' versions thereof? I notice your bolt open between positions and was wondering what the 10/22 guys do for safety procedures.

Anyone using 10/22's or 'built' versions thereof? I notice your bolt open between positions and was wondering what the 10/22 guys do for safety procedures.
There are some 10/22s used. One new guy in particular had a fairly stock model, I think just a trigger upgrade, with the new vortex venom 5-25x. In the morning we helped him get a good 50 yard zero and showed his how to use Strelok. He was able to hit any of the targets that day (max of 200y)
PRS rules pretty much say the semi auto must be on safe, before any movement, and the shooter must say 'safe' loud enough for the RO to hear

There are some 10/22s used. One new guy in particular had a fairly stock model, I think just a trigger upgrade, with the new vortex venom 5-25x. In the morning we helped him get a good 50 yard zero and showed his how to use Strelok. He was able to hit any of the targets that day (max of 200y)
PRS rules pretty much say the semi auto must be on safe, before any movement, and the shooter must say 'safe' loud enough for the RO to hear
Thanks! That sounds perfect. I was concerned that rules might require dropping a mag and/or an empty chamber. Either would be a huge pain.

Next month I have a big multi-day match at Camp Ethan Allen in VT. If there are any 22 PRS matches after that I'll want to go to one. I think some are closer to home but Hopkinton is a possibility.

@BostonBullit - nice shootin'! Very nice rifle. Vudoo?

Thanks, I was happy with some runs, not as happy with others (those haven’t been edited yet 😉). Still so much to learn….

The rifle is a Bergara B14r….I won’t try and say it’s got the attention to detail that a Vudoo has but for the $$ it’s tough to beat. I got it as a barreled action and went overboard on everything else so the one if the video isn’t exactly a budget build but you can get a stock one which comes with a nice adjustable stock for $1100. Toss a rail and scope on the top and an Arca-Swiss rail and bipod on the bottom and you’re in the game!

Thanks, I was happy with some runs, not as happy with others (those haven’t been edited yet 😉). Still so much to learn….

The rifle is a Bergara B14r….I won’t try and say it’s got the attention to detail that a Vudoo has but for the $$ it’s tough to beat. I got it as a barreled action and went overboard on everything else so the one if the video isn’t exactly a budget build but you can get a stock one which comes with a nice adjustable stock for $1100. Toss a rail and scope on the top and an Arca-Swiss rail and bipod on the bottom and you’re in the game!
Great looking rifle.

Rather than go all out before I give it a try, I bought an Atlas stock for my already customized 10/22. Basically the receiver and bolt body are the only thing Ruger, all else is either Volquartsen or Kidd. It will shoot a little tighter than MOA, about .45" at 50 yds and just under 1" at 100 yds. I think that's more than good enough for my scores to be all up to me.

I've been waiting - not so patiently lately - for them to release the barreled actions for lefty. Some lefty full rifles had trickled out, but not just the BA's yet.

I have a MPA Comp Chassis and even a TT trigger ready to go, but I have no idea when they'll actually be available.

I caught myself on the vudoo website last week... not sure if I should continue to wait or just splurge

Last edited:
If I were building my rifle again I would go with either the BA Comp or the ESR chassis. I like the features of the Matrix but that solid chunk of aluminum in the ass end makes if difficult to balance. I have it close to where I want it but it has a full internal weight kit plus 2 small GrayOps externals.

Yes people are welcome to come watch and on match day the gate will be open (this goes for USPSA as well). But if you have some kind of mag-fed 22lr rifle with a scope on it then why not actually shoot the match? The matches I have been to so far (2x Hopkinton, 1 New Bedford, 1 Hardwick) everyone is very helpful and willing to loan gear. Show up with a rifle with zero'd scope, some ammo, preferably some kind of DOPE but if you don't have that someone will be able to help you, and have some fun!

I've been waiting - not so patiently lately - for them to release the barreled actions for lefty. Some lefty full rifles had trickled out, but not just the BA's yet.

I have a MPA Comp Chassis and even a TT trigger ready to go, but I have no idea when they'll actually be available.

I caught myself on the vudoo website last week... not sure if I should continue to wait or just splurge

Here you go. You could have it by Monday...

i think it is a cool gun, but it will not do anything this one would not do.

I love the 457... I put one in an XLR chassis for my son. Too bad they don't have a 22lr in lefty. I'd have to find the rare lefty 17 and convert it, and that's not worth the money in my opinion.

on a same topic - speaking of the SK .22lr ammo - was there any consensus about practical differences between SK standard plus, SK rifle match and SK biathlon sport?

Isn't the biathlon made specifically for colder temps? So the coating doesn't gum up the works.

Isn't the biathlon made specifically for colder temps? So the coating doesn't gum up the works.
it states the different speed/power from rifle/standard plus. i always believed the latter was the same exact load, but, never tested it much. the biathlon seems to be something else.
i see some at midway, will order several boxes to try them out in my cz.

The SK Biathlon Sport round features a special lubricant designed specifically for perfect shooting performance in freezing weather.

Any thoughts on the V22 vs the V22 360?
The 360 is the generation 3, with a 60° bolt throw.
i think it is a cool gun, but it will not do anything this one would not do.
The Vudoo, (also the B14R and RimX) are Rem700 footprints. Meaning they fit the same chassis and take the same aftermarket triggers as the wildly popular 700. A CZ will not match the bolt closing smoothness of a Vudoo.
on a same topic - speaking of the SK .22lr ammo - was there any consensus about practical differences between SK standard plus, SK rifle match and SK biathlon sport?
What shoots the best groups in my rifle, may shoot terrible groups in yours. Each rifle needs to be tested with several brands, and lots of ammo to find what is best

Back
Top Bottom