PPK/S Problems

I have a 3month old Smith made Walther PPK/S, and today at the range it would not stay open after the last shot fired. What is going on? Have any of you encountered the same problem? Should I send it back to S&W for repair? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Anthony

Great to see S&W continue the quality of Walther. Anyways...I'd also think it was more of a mag thing than any internal problem with the gun.

Will the slide stay open if you insert an empty mag into an empty gun and pull
the slide back?

If it doesn't do this, then try to get a hold of someone elses PPK mag; see if it that mag does
the same thing... if it won't stay open on ANY mag it probably is the gun. I would let a smith
see it at that point or send it out to S+W.

-Mike

There are three general possible causes:

1. The slide "release" fails to see lift from the empty magazine follower. This could be a magazine issue or a "release" issue, if the tab on the "release" is not within spec.

2. The slide "release" is binding. Check by field stripping the pistol. With the slide off, you should be able to lift the "release" with a wooden toothpick and when you let go, it should drop of its own accord. If not, check for a burr in the well in which the "release" resides, or possibly an oversize pin or undersize hole. If you pass this test, reassemble the slide without the recoil spring, no magazine, hold pistol upside down, and draw slide back. The "release" should fall into place. If not, check for a burr or other obstruction in the relief into which the "release" is designed to fit.

3. The slide is not traveling back far enough for the lip of the relief to clear the "release." This is most likely an ammo issue. This is also the least likely cause, particularly if the pistol is otherwise ejecting and self-loading per design.

Last edited:
I'm not saying this is the reason in this case, but lots of people tend to limp wrist these pistols and, IME, with blow-back pistols in particular, this will cause this problem. I had a buddy with a PPK that would "never" stay open after the last round, I picked it up and it stayed open every time.

Also, if you are shooting reloads that are really low pressure this can cause the issue as well, lots of shops tend to sell slow/weak .380 reloads. And of course, try different mags.

Fixed

I took it down to Northeast Trading earlier today and Ted was very helpful, noticing that A little bent wire that works as a tension spring was in wrong. The last time I was at the range, this piece felt out while I did the breakdown clean. I thought that when I put it together it was right because it seemed to be fine, but It must have only worked for a little while while spring was upside down and then finally stopped because it works fine now. Thankyou all very much for your insight on to what it could have been. That's why I love this site, Everyone's willing to help![cheers]

Anthony

Back
Top Bottom