• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PPC match with a twist at MVGC Friday April 10

clerk.mvgc

NES Member
Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden will host a PPC match Friday April 10 at 7pm. Info on PPC can be found on the club's website www.mvgunclub.com/ppc.

We're going to run a 2nd side match with snubbie revolvers only, 2 1/2" or shorter barrel, 50 rounds instead of 60 to make the 5 shot snubbies equal. (6 shot snubbies are OK, just load 5 rds at a time) We'll run this snubbie match for fun, no entry fee/payback.

Cost is $7.00, $5.00 of which will be paid back, divided between class winners via the Lewis system (which gives shooters of all abilities the chance to win their "class"). The remaining $2.00 will pay for the targets.

All safe shooters are welcome, you don't need to be a member of the club. Beginners welcome, beginning female shooters can use a .22 pistol. Feel free to PM any questions

I talked to my buddy tonight. We'll be there! It starts at 7pm, but what time should we realistically get there? I'll be shooting my Sig P239 in 9mm. I currently have only WWB 115gr FMJ, is that ok to shoot? Or should I pick up something else?

Thanks for taking questions from a noobie!

Both the gun and ammo are fine. You will need 3 mags, we load 6 rounds at a time and one stage is 18 rounds. I get there around 6 to set up, you're welcome to come anytime after then and look around or ask questions.

more info on PPC matches is here: http://www.mvgunclub.com/ppc.htm

Look forward to meeting you.

I talked to my buddy tonight. We'll be there! It starts at 7pm, but what time should we realistically get there? I'll be shooting my Sig P239 in 9mm. I currently have only WWB 115gr FMJ, is that ok to shoot? Or should I pick up something else?

Thanks for taking questions from a noobie!

One last question: Is the parking in the lot just before the club on the same side, or is it on the other side of the street?

Thanks and I look forward to meeting you!

Parkinglot is next to the club, both ends of the bldg. If it's full and theres nothing going on at Anthony's across the street it's OK to park on our end of his lot. If he's having a busy night park on the street in front of the club.

Had a great time tonight! I'm sure I didn't do well, since I really need to practice magazine changes as well as left handed shooting. Can't wait until next time!

Had a great time tonight! I'm sure I didn't do well, since I really need to practice magazine changes as well as left handed shooting. Can't wait until next time!

Was nice to meet you guys, glad you enjoyed yourself. You actually took 1st place Marksman Division, you've got $20.00 coming. You can pick it up next shoot or PM me your addy and I'll mail it to you. I'll get full results posted on our website shortly www.mvgunclub.com

Bill: I just now looked at the scores over at the MVGC website. Very nice 547X13. Steroid testing starts next month after the shoot.

Bill: I just now looked at the scores over at the MVGC website. Very nice 547X13. Steroid testing starts next month after the shoot.

John, I should have never got him that damned bell! We could have penalized him points for late shots! LOL

John, I should have never got him that damned bell! We could have penalized him points for late shots! LOL

I think it was all those knocks on the head that I took at the plate shoot two weeks ago. Rattled my brain and fixed my eyes.

John, do you hear the pitter patter of big feet coming up behind you? I was only 10 points behind you and 15 points behind Dave. And I had 1 Mike.

The way I see it, I have one more chance to beat you guys before we retire for the summer. I'm gonna practice a little more.

FYI Dave, I'm gonna shoot somewhere other than Lane 1 next time. I think I'll shoot better if there is some light on the target.

FYI Dave, I'm gonna shoot somewhere other than Lane 1 next time. I think I'll shoot better if there is some light on the target.

You may be right about that Bill, Lenny was shooting on 1 in the last relay and moved over to 2 because 1 was too dark. I'll have to check out the lighting situation. Of course itn could be because we broke 7 or 8 lights from the steel match 2 weeks ago![wink]

Bill: That does suck. Could have been a dime. (3-D archery term for a 10)

Great shooting none-the-less.

Was nice to meet you guys, glad you enjoyed yourself. You actually took 1st place Marksman Division, you've got $20.00 coming. You can pick it up next shoot or PM me your addy and I'll mail it to you. I'll get full results posted on our website shortly www.mvgunclub.com

Sweet! I'll pick it up at the steel match. I want to give that a try, too!

If I hadn't fumbled so much with my mag changes, I think I would've done better. I looked over my targets and figured some adjustments that I need to make, so hopefully I can move up a class or two next time! Y'all were a great bunch of guys, and it was a great learning experience for me! See you in a couple weeks.

Dave: Bill seems to suggest the PPC shoots are not shot during the summer. Do I read him right? Do you shoot these matches all year round?

John

Dave: Bill seems to suggest the PPC shoots are not shot during the summer. Do I read him right? Do you shoot these matches all year round?

John

John, last Friday night Dave told us that May will be the last of the shoots till Fall. Apparently he makes a bee line for Ossippee on Friday afternoons during the summer. He also talked about expanding the PPC schedule, possibly every Friday if memory serves.

Maybe we could convince Jasper to step into Dave's shoes for the summer.

I actually would love to see these continue into the summer, especially the steel shoots.

The attraction that Mystic Valley holds for me is PPC. They are the only club that shoots this discipline. That they shoot on Friday night is a bonus. If steel is want you're looking for, you gotta try Mass Rifle. The next shoot is outdoors and the summer schedule will be posted soon. You will see many of the same faces there as at Mystic.

Weekends in the summer I'm long gone to NH, either on my bike or my boat.

Unfortunatley Jasper isn't an RSO or club officer. He's relatively new to the sports, though he's done a great job and is progressing quickly and will probably be added to the competitions committee soon. He's quickly becoming my right hand man.

If you guys want to shoot PPC thru the summer, I'm game but would have to move the night. Our pistol school is held on Wed nights but ends for the summer soon. How does Wed nites fit in folks schedules? Actually GBPL ends soon too so Tues nites will probably be avail for the summer.

Let me know what you guys think.

Like Bill, I prefer PPC to steel and would choose Tuesday night if this continues. But the night is not really that important to me. Any night is better than no night.

Clerk Dave: Last winter I recieved an email from a man I know in Finland who shoots action pistol over there at the various clubs along the southwest coast. Combat shooting is very popular over there. Maybe more so than here in the US if you can believe it. They shoot a steel plate game called "Red Dot" or "Four Dot" depending on who you ask. It's a variation on what we do but with more importance placed on accuracy. At 45-50 feet they place 24 round knock-down plates. (7-8") Four (4) of these plates are smaller - around 3.5" and they are painted red. All the other 20 plates are white. Shooter gets just 24 rounds to shoot all 24 plates as fast as he can. Now here's the kicker: he MUST take all four red targets at some time during his string. It's okay to miss a white target but you must hit all 4 red dots or be eliminated totally. If you make all 24 targets with 24 shots your score is your time in seconds. Any targets left standing are 2 second add-ons to your elapsed time. (shoot 20 targets in 20 seconds and leave 4 targets, your time is 28 seconds - assuming you take the 4 reds) The point of the drill is to shoot fast clusters of white targets and have the discipline to slow up for the precision red shot. This tends to mess up shooter's who hose. It makes you more flexible and adds an element that is lacking in all the Wall of Steel type shoots currently popular around here. I happen to like the idea and I really don't like shooting steel much at all. The reason they shoot 24 targets is because that number works nicely with 6 and 8 shot revolvers and all 1911 single-stack mags. The 1911 is the favored gun along with the CZ-75 over in Finland. They do NOT separate autos from revolvers at these Finnish clubs. Only iron sights and optical. My friend says there is virtually no difference among the shooting times when autos shoot against revolvers in this game. The S&W K and L frame guns are used mostly in Finland. They like our stuff. This shooting game could be a gas. I love the concept. It could make me a steel shooter.

John

Interesting John. I've been mulling over buying/building some 2.5 to 3 inch plate racks for .22 Chevy Challenge type shooting with 10/22's for side matches, I suppose they could also be used in a game similar to what you describe so long as I use 3/8 or larger plate. 50 ft would sure slow people down, even on the large plates.

Well, I haven't tried the steel shoot yet, but I loved the PPC and would love to be able to get better at it. If it were to continue over the summer, I would probably keep coming. In summer, Wednesday would be ideal, however Tuesday would work as long as it was the second Tuesday (I have commitments on the 1st and 3rd). I realize my vote doesn't really count, as I'm not a member, but yours is the only game in town!

I'm working on the RSO stuff dave :).

Tuesdays/thursdays are tough for me until july/august for me (school), wednesdays work tho! If I can get my nra rso course done soon, I have no problem helping out! Dunno about filling daves shoes though, that guys got some bigass feet!

I too would like to see PPC continue through the summer, especially since I recently got a new PPC gun! Ill call ya later on dave, as I've got a few questions for ya anyways.

Back
Top Bottom