• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powering my new safe.

union

NES Member
I bought a second safe a few weeks ago. Unlike the first safe I bought where I splurged a little and bought a safe that was already setup with power and lights I didn't have the extra money to spend this time around nor did I have a lot of extra room for what would have been a slightly larger safe. I find it a bit funny that these safes look so small at the store and then seem to take up so much more room at home.

Anyway I'm going to run power to the new safe. Ideally the safe would have come with some kind of punch out that could have accommodated some type of add on power supply that seems common such as the Liberty unit but it did not. What it did come with is a hole drilled in it so I could use the included dehumidifier rod. It's a hole large enough for a typical cord from a power strip without the plug attached. As typical of me I couldn't find exactly what I wanted that would make it easy so I need to kind of make something. I'm not going to cut up the back of the to use the Liberty system. I don't have the skill to do it right and have it look good.

My plan is to buy a power strip, cut the plug off it, run the cord through the hole and then rewire the plug. On the surface it's pretty easy to do. One thing I can't decide on is how much cord to hang out the back. I would like to use some fire resistant caulk so the cord would have to be set. The safe wont be moved for a long time.

I guess my basic question is how much cord do I run out the back?

If someone has a line on something better that can fit through a hole that is a cord diameter I'm all ears.

SBL05.jpg

Lol. I'd use a short whip out of the safe and a quality extension cord for the run to an outlet. Your safe will not require much juice. I use the Goldenrods in all mine, have loved them for years. Also, you could consider clay if unable to find a high-temp caulk.
~Matt

I know the safe wont use much power. I want a string of LEDs so I can see easily and then a dehumidifier rod. 15amp stuff is more then enough. After I made my first post I did remember I have a 9 foot 14 gauge 15amp tool replacement cord. I'm going to put a female end on it and then plug in the power strip so I don't have the mess with cutting and replacing on the strip itself.

I should be able to get some high temp caulk easy enough. I have a Home Depot and a Lowes within 10min of me. Clay would also work. I'm not terribly concerned with it done right away as this safe doesn't hold anything of "value". It holds ammo and some gun related manuals. At some point maybe a few pistols since it did come with a door organizer. The other safe which came all setup for power has my guns and important documents.

Of course I'm open to feasible ideas too.

I ran LED light strips in mine and set up a light switch.

There are a bunch of YouTube videos with cool setups to check out.

If it's a good power strip you can open it and disconnect the cord then reattach after you run it through the hole in the back. Just go on amazon and by a reel of Hitlights with a plug-in transformer and then go to Ebay and get some 3M double stick tape. The tape on the back of the led strip lights is not a good enough adhesive to apply to anything but metal.

I use these in my safes. Super bright, magnetic back. Very happy. Under 4 bucks at walmart...

ed5797ae-0810-4f58-bad5-bb23129751d9_1.bdfbd4cc403597d99bc91858f4c8e30d.jpeg

I use these in my safes. Super bright, magnetic back. Very happy. Under 4 bucks at walmart...

I'm guessing that they are battery operated?
Looks like a great idea!
I ran a led strip in my safe, and watchman is right about the tape that they come with.
Need to redo mine with something better.

Looks like a good idea. How strong is the magnet? My safe is carpeted on the inside. I don't think I can get a magnet to stick. Either way though I still want some power in there. I think I chose some lights. I'm going back and forth between two. I can get the dakota brand at Eastern Security Safe for $105 with motion activation. I know it works since it is what my other safe came with. Nice and bright. I've also found a set on amazon which claims like 2250 lumens. More then what I will need. That is 90ish with a motion switch.

Stack-On used to make an electrical outlet kit. It was basically a heavy duty extension cord, with the female end just bare wires, a junction box, and an outlet.

Buy a heavy duty extension cord. Cut the female/receptacle end off. Drill a hole in the safe big enough to snake that end in. Mount an electrical box and wire in the outlet.

I have an outlet wired in mine and I have a golden rod plugged in, and a 10ft LED string of Christmas lights plugged in to a motion sensor. Got the lights and the motion sensor plug after Christmas when that stuff went on sale for 75% off.

If you drill a power cord hole in the safe, drill it higher than the bottom of the door if you do not have any other holes that will admit water, that way you will be able to tolerate a couple inches of water on the floor.

The magnets are definitely only strong enough for direct steel contact, but works well in that situation. You could also buy a length of adhesive-backed Velcro tape (The hook side) and apply to the back of the LED and that will "grab" the carpet liner well. Because you are already setting it up for electrical, the plug-in LEDs would be best IMO.

You can get them much cheaper. Often times free w/ a coupon... at Harbor Freight Tools

FREE is an excellent price! Thanks Jr...

And they are (3) AAA battery-powered, 200 lumens and "flood" my safes with light.

If you drill a power cord hole in the safe, drill it higher than the bottom of the door if you do not have any other holes that will admit water, that way you will be able to tolerate a couple inches of water on the floor.

It already has a hole. I did leave the safe on the metal "pallet" it comes on so its already about 4 inches off the floor. Anything above that the water should be going out the garage door and if it is still coming in I have bigger things to worry about :)

Sometimes the hole that comes with the safe is to small for a power strip. I cut the plug off a lightweight (14ga) extension cord with a three outlet end and put a new plug on it.

read your other post... use the power equipment cord... buy a plastic box, outlet and cover at lowes and wire it up.

Back
Top Bottom