Powered graphite for 10/22s.

I was told that if you lubricate the action with powdered graphite used for padlocks it will keep the action dry and will not collect dirt and burnt powder which can cause jams. You need to clean your action of all the crap and make sure it is dry before you put the graphite on the metal to metal surfaces. I thought I would pass this info off to ya'll.

I have read that graphite & aluminum (like the 10/22 receiver) are a bad combo as it will cause corrosion. I use the teflon dry lube on the receiver where the bolt travels and it cleans up pretty easy.

uggh semi auto 22s don't need much of lube really. Honestly spray it with CLP wipe it off as to have it not wet and shoot it.
Me and my brother would shoot our 22s model 60. 10/22 sears branded POS with nothing more than a quick wipe of a rag my dad had in the gun box. We would shoot them until they turned into bolt actions....thousands of rounds.
The model 60 we had would go at least 2500 rounds before starting to miss feed, the 10/22 about the only thing we had to clean was the chamber that lubed/waxed "target" ammo we used would gum up the chamber after about 1500 rounds.
although graphite makes a decent lube it will not play well with aluminum and its Fn messy. Maybe I will take pictures of my AR I use in CMP MM matches...other than a quick wipe for corrosion protection that thing has not been "cleaned" in years.

When all else fails follow the directions on page 26 for your ruger 10/22

Bad idea. Graphite and aluminum (10/22 receiver) will result in galvanic corrosion. Graphite can also be abrasive and should not be used in hi speed applications,. I would consider the bolt cycling to be a hi speed application

Thorin gets first prize for identifying graphite is bad stuff. For all the others who confirmed that, WELL DONE.

My CLP is Ed's Red:

1/3rd Mercon Dexron Transmission Fluid
1/3rd K1 Kerosene or Off Road diesel
1/3rd Mineral Spirits (paint thinner)

I have two gallon Blitz can, make up 1 1/2 gallons at a time. Have about five 1 qt spray bottles from Home Deport sitting all over with it in it.

On 22s hold action open and spray it in and it washes the unburned propellant out just fine. No need to disassemble, just spray and wipe off excess.

Agreed about graphite being a bad idea. I use a tiny drop of Eezox in a 10/22 action, well away from the bolt face. Works great. Eezox creeps when warm, creates a thin film, and generally will not gum up with dirt. It goes dry when cold, but still lubricates. It was formulated for lubricating in dusty/dirty conditions.

Back
Top Bottom