• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Power supply for clay thrower

scatter

NES Member
I have a Champion Wheelybird clay thrower that wants to run off of a 12V automotive battery. I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot clays from my back porch and would like to power the thrower from an outdoor receptacle through a 110-12V power supply, so I don't have to drive the truck around to the back or keep an additional battery on trickle. I can't find anything about the amperage requirements for something like this so I don't know what look for in terms of specs for the power supply.

I realize that I could just look at the CCA for a typical automotive battery and try to match that, but I assume that is overkill because the company says it will throw 3000+ clays on a deep cycle charged battery, and I don't need that. I just want something that will handle the spikes gracefully. Any help?

Quoted from Amazon reviews;

"I have used a battery charger to supply power and it worked very well. Just make sure you don't over power it"

"Use a automotive battery charger 12 volt the more amps the better mine worked"

Looks like it has a circuit breaker? I think its a 30 amp breaker which probably means that current spikes are less than 30 amps. Deep cycle marine batteries are typically 100 amp hours and the specs say 3000 shots from one which means it does not consume much power...probably just large spikes.

A 30 amp power supply like this one might work: http://amzn.to/2mbFoF4 $18 bucks.

OR you might just add a large capacitor to a crappy 12V 5amp wall wort style power supply you have in a junk box...the capacitor will provide the surge current. Long as you don't need to fire shots rapidly the capacitor should charge nicely in a few seconds.

Looks like it has a circuit breaker? I think its a 30 amp breaker which probably means that current spikes are less than 30 amps. Deep cycle marine batteries are typically 100 amp hours and the specs say 3000 shots from one which means it does not consume much power...probably just large spikes.

A 30 amp power supply like this one might work: http://amzn.to/2mbFoF4 $18 bucks.

OR you might just add a large capacitor to a crappy 12V 5amp wall wort style power supply you have in a junk box...the capacitor will provide the surge current. Long as you don't need to fire shots rapidly the capacitor should charge nicely in a few seconds.

Excellent. Thank you. I should have noticed the breaker rating. I will have to get a weathertight enclosure and some leads but this should work.

Assuming the Wheelybird draws about 200W while launching, that would overstress your average battery tender, you'd want to look for an adapter intended to run a CB radio, etc.

On the other hand, as the motor and solenoid only run for maybe 2 seconds to launch a clay, so you might get away with running it on a relatively small 12VDC power supply, or just get a small motorcycle or ATV battery and bring it inside to charge when it slows down.

From Amazon questions

max. amps on 1 cycle is (9.46) at peak draw for about 1/4 second and then lowers to approx. 2 amps avg. 1 cycle last about 2 seconds Hopes this helps.

So a small battery and 3-5 amp charger will run it continuously or grab a 13.8V 15+ amp supply

Crappy ebay supply:

I am assuming that this is 12V DC since you are talking about a car battery. If you are running it off of your porch, I bet you have an old laptop charger that might fit the bill. Make sure it is close to 12vdc cut the adapter off, separate the wires, make connections.

If you are extra efficient pin it from the thrower and then pin it on the wire (adapter) side and plug into the 120vac (stepping it down to 12vdc) and you should be golden.

Quoted from Amazon reviews;

"I have used a battery charger to supply power and it worked very well. Just make sure you don't over power it"

"Use a automotive battery charger 12 volt the more amps the better mine worked"

My friend did this to power a car audio amplifier connected to his home stereo system for years. He ran it on the low (2A) setting and had no problems.

the problem is that elec motors don't like "dirty" power . if you don't give a chit about your throwers motor , go right ahead and use a charger w/o a battery .
It's not an induction motor so the harmonic content is much less of an issue.

I still wouldn't recommend a charger but that is because you can get a cheap switching supply cheaper. The switcher will also have a more stable voltage output.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Jump start battery pack type might be good option.
I have had them fail because I don't use often enough.
Simply connect alligator clamps to your 12v leads (fused correct?)
They also have a battery indicator light

You want a deep cycle battery not a far jump starter or automotive battery.
Automotive batteries and jump packs are not designed to be drained down and recharged like a deep cycle battery.
Basically if you don't run a deep cycle low and then charge it with a deep cycle charger it basically gets a memory and starts to loose charge quicker.
Same with a car battery run it to low to often it will not last.
My dad got 12 years out of the deep cycle batteries on the boat. He would run those barriers to dead every season and put them on a charger that exercised them.

I would call champion there has to be a power adapter they recommend.
I don't know if this works either but I had 12v landscape lighting that pluged into the 110v receptacle?

An old PC power supply may work. They are cheap and easy to replace and are able to produce a good deal of current on the 12V buss.
A battery charger is designed to charge batteries, not power equipment.
I would not recommend one.

There are also a lot of bench power supplies for radio gear and other uses that are available.

I have a feeling that the mechanism probably uses surges of current to launch the clay, which you won't be able to measure with just a hand held digital meter.

A lot of switching power supplies will shut down momentarily if the surge current is too high, which is why they probably designed to use a battery.

You could get around this with a supply that charges a capacitor, and I could show you how if I new the exact mechanism used in the device.

Any schematics or parts/repair manuals available for it?

You want a deep cycle battery not a far jump starter or automotive battery.
Automotive batteries and jump packs are not designed to be drained down and recharged like a deep cycle battery.
Basically if you don't run a deep cycle low and then charge it with a deep cycle charger it basically gets a memory and starts to loose charge quicker.
Same with a car battery run it to low to often it will not last.
My dad got 12 years out of the deep cycle batteries on the boat. He would run those barriers to dead every season and put them on a charger that exercised them.

I would call champion there has to be a power adapter they recommend.
I don't know if this works either but I had 12v landscape lighting that pluged into the 110v receptacle?

you leave the battery charger i linked to plugged in while using it. I know people who use these for just this type of thing, one using it to power a pump for liquids, it works perfect. worst case is it doesn't work and you return it, HFT takes anything back no questions

I have a feeling that the mechanism probably uses surges of current to launch the clay, which you won't be able to measure with just a hand held digital meter.

A lot of switching power supplies will shut down momentarily if the surge current is too high, which is why they probably designed to use a battery.

You could get around this with a supply that charges a capacitor, and I could show you how if I new the exact mechanism used in the device.

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. No way I could measure instantaneous current. So I'm currently (pun intended) thinking that a standard 12v power supply is not the best choice and I'm leaning toward a cheap jump starter like this:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWUSXDH/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_bLXhjn_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=EYXCQN74BYKE4X1AZ49R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=a6b3dd3a-5e3d-5661-9134-0d3384e34ec6&pf_rd_i=318336011

What I don't know is how long something like this would be able to launch clays at the rate of, say, 2 or 3 per minute.

I have absolutely no schematics or manuals for it. I can't even figure out what the draw is on the launch, other than the 30 amp installed breaker.

you leave the battery charger i linked to plugged in while using it. I know people who use these for just this type of thing, one using it to power a pump for liquids, it works perfect. worst case is it doesn't work and you return it, HFT takes anything back no questions

I have an old battery trickle charger. I can set it for either 2 or 4 amps charging. But if the thrower wants to pull 30 amps when launching, wouldn't that overload the circuits? Especially after multiple pulls?

I posted a comment from an online review about the current draw - short peak at around 10 amps then 2 amps for the rest of the cycle.
Also posted a link to a 15amp switcher that can be adjusted to 13.8v to also act as a charger

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. No way I could measure instantaneous current. So I'm currently (pun intended) thinking that a standard 12v power supply is not the best choice and I'm leaning toward a cheap jump starter like this:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWUSXDH/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_bLXhjn_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=EYXCQN74BYKE4X1AZ49R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=a6b3dd3a-5e3d-5661-9134-0d3384e34ec6&pf_rd_i=318336011

What I don't know is how long something like this would be able to launch clays at the rate of, say, 2 or 3 per minute.

I have absolutely no schematics or manuals for it. I can't even figure out what the draw is on the launch, other than the 30 amp installed breaker.

A good meter with a peak function should be able to give you an idea of what the max draw is.

I have an old battery trickle charger. I can set it for either 2 or 4 amps charging. But if the thrower wants to pull 30 amps when launching, wouldn't that overload the circuits? Especially after multiple pulls?

no,if you look at the link, it has a battery in it, so it can peak at 600 or 700 amps to start a car, but it can also be used as a continuous supply. these are very useful for a number of things. he's gonna use it now and then to run the trap motor, which isn't a huge draw. the other 90% of the time you got a nice emergency jump starter.

If it were my setup, I'd power it from an automotive type battery - something like an Optima. I would charge it with a Battery Tender. I probably wouldn't leave the charger on it while in use.

I have a Champion Wheelybird clay thrower that wants to run off of a 12V automotive battery. I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot clays from my back porch and would like to power the thrower from an outdoor receptacle through a 110-12V power supply, so I don't have to drive the truck around to the back or keep an additional battery on trickle. I can't find anything about the amperage requirements for something like this so I don't know what look for in terms of specs for the power supply.

I realize that I could just look at the CCA for a typical automotive battery and try to match that, but I assume that is overkill because the company says it will throw 3000+ clays on a deep cycle charged battery, and I don't need that. I just want something that will handle the spikes gracefully. Any help?

Champion claims 3000 throws from a fully charged deep cycle battery.... why not just buy a deep cycle battery and a nice solar powered charger for deep cycle batteries. Are you throwing 3000 targets in one sitting?

The references I saw to battery size was mostly U1 - 35 amp hour

3000 throws at 2 seconds each is 1.67 hours so that works out to be around 20 amps. However, I really doubt it is drawing anywhere near that.

If the OP lives around Taunton I can hook up and measure the exact current profile

Back
Top Bottom