Power pistol for .45 ACP

45acp Alliant Power Pistol Berry's 230gr

My 2 books do not show any power pistol for plated or lead 230gr
A little searching on the googles show a starting load at 5.6gr and up to 7gr max at a COL of 1.27
This is not published data

Last edited:
Any suggestions for a middle of the road load?
Power pistol powder and 230 grn. Berry's bullets.
Thanks

6.7grs 1.255 OAL. Use 4" or greater barrel gun for best results. PP doesnt work so well in shorter guns.

FWIW this is nowhere near max. 7.0+ starts to get fun... :)

Thanks guys.
I was kind of confused because the Lyman book's max was the Alliant's sites start.
Kind of fond of my 1911, and my hand [smile]

230 Speer TMJ RN Alliant Power Pistol 8.1 916
Remarks: OAL: 1.260"

From loaddata.com

230 Speer TMJ RN Alliant Power Pistol 8.1 916
Remarks: OAL: 1.260"

I would advise anyone doing this one to start at about 6.7 . You may find that you don't need above 7. Hell out of my bowling pin gun I used to get almost 900 fps from 7's, but that is with a 5.5" Wilson barrel with a compensator on it. That looks like the speer load book data, which I believe their test pistol was a 4" Sig P220 or something.

-Mike

I ran some 45 acp rounds today with a chronograph and loaded with different amounts of power pistol. The "golden" was production blazer brass. 6.3-6.4gr of power pistol matched the blazer with a 230gr fmj rn bullet.

This felt "fine" out of the gun (4.25" 1911). I think 6.3gr is where I will sit for now.

Tried 10 test rounds with 6.7 grains Sunday.
Fed and ejected fine.
Both the boy and I were hitting pieces of broken clays on the bank at 25 yards, so accuracy seems good as well.

[thumbsup]

Seems to burn cleaner the WWB too.

Tried 10 test rounds with 6.7 grains Sunday.
Fed and ejected fine.
Both the boy and I were hitting pieces of broken clays on the bank at 25 yards, so accuracy seems good as well.

[thumbsup]

Seems to burn cleaner the WWB too.

Anything is pretty much cleaner than WWB. Even Unique is a lot cleaner, and unique is pretty fuggin dirty. Unique is also an excellent .45 ACP performer, as well, you can get factory replication loads at well
below maximum.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom