1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Power equipment quality; Big Box store vs. Local mom/pop shops

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by timbo, Apr 25, 2019.

1. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

it doesn't really matter whether you call it a "tractor", a "lawn tractor" or a "riding mower". It was a JD E170 "riding mower".. with a 146Supply sticker on the back. Both Lowes.com and 146Supply.com list it for $2449. Now is it the same item?

2019 John Deere E170 for sale in Millbury, MA. 146 Supply Center Inc. Millbury, MA (800)-244-0146
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/John-Deere...ing-Capability-Kit-Sold-Separately/1000368419

The question at hand is if you buy the same item at the dealer vs big box are you getting a different/better item. Based on what I found.. I would say "no difference" at least with the JD models at Lowes.

TLB likes this.

2. TLB

TLB

I would say it does matter what you call it..a tractor is sufficiently strong for ground engagement. You are posting the equivalent of "it doesn't matter if you call it a magazine or a clip".

It appears their policies have changed since I bought my tractor from a Deere dealer several years ago. At least the Lowes link specifies it is a riding lawn mower. Maybe dealers pushed to get in on the cheaper mower market...

I'm in the if the model number or sku matches, it's the same camp.

3. DJ_2

DJ_2 NES Member

From my experience most independent local shops are part of a large buying group
    Just make sure it's a brand dealer. If not even the small mom and pop operations are under the umbrella of large buying groups IE:. Ace, True Value, Orgil etc... And get their own versions of the cheaper quality "price driven" ones. Where as the specific dealers get the higher quality ones

4. PineTar

PineTar

I know we're power equipment - I found when shopping for a webber grill years ago, the local shop model had better parts in a same model comparison vs the big box ( better grill surface)

5. mjbitt

mjbitt NES Member

I bought a zero turn mower from a power equipment store. I could of bought the same item from a big box store (HD-Lowe’s) Roughly the same price but I chose a power equipment store only reason, it’s put together by qualified mechanic Instead of a teenager in the back room. I did my homework when my mower arrived delivered on time, full of gas, correct tire pressure, and a level mowing deck. Drove straight and a follow Call a week later from the salesperson. Piece of mind is worth a few more bucks to me.Plus the Ariens snow blower bought from the same place In Norfolk which In now in Wrentham 25+Years ago still runs like a champ . If you find something good stick with it! f*** the box stores

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  6. nstassel

nstassel NES Member

7. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

I have seen aluminum parts on discount store stuff where “factory” had steel
    Its been a while since I torn into any deep repairs on power equipment. Often cheaper to just buy a new unit vs rebuilding a motor.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 10:45 AM
  8. Captian Matt

Captian Matt

Local dealer typically sell the higher quality stuff in a companies line because the models made for box stores are disposable. A simple rule of thumb is that if they can meet the price point to get into box stores they are very low quality. In my opinion you are much better off buying a used quality machine that can be repaired than a new machine that is disposable.

9. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

I spent $1,000 on a decent big box "tractor" 10 years ago, babied it for 5 years, done.
    Then spent $1800 on a better big box tractor 5 years ago, basically dead.
    Had enough and spent considerably more at a real mower place, Commercial Toro, hope to get 20 years out of it.

Captian Matt and drgrant like this.