• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Powders for reloading 45 ACP

JackO

Instructor
I reload 45 ACP for bulls eye competition. For this I use Win 231 powder and lead SWC bullets.

Now I'd like to start reloading FMJ 230GR and JHP 185GR bullets. This will be not for competition but for general use at the range. I wander what people are using for these purposes. The important factors in choosing the powder would be consistent powder charge using Dillon 550 powder dispenser (ball vs flake powders) and the cleanness of burning.

Please share your experience.

W231 is not the cleanest burning powder, is it? [smile]
Cleaning guns after every trip to the range?

Also, I completely forgot to ask. What loads and what OAL do you use? Any crimp or not at all on FMJ bullet?

Last edited:
W231 is not the cleanest burning powder, is it? [smile]
Cleaning guns after every trip to the range?

Also, I completely forgot to ask. What loads and what OAL do you use? Any crimp or not at all on FMJ bullet?

1.260" COL Berrys 230gr plated bullet
5.2 gr W231
WLP
Various brass
Light crimp only to remove bell

I don't clean my guns everytime I use it since I often use some of them several times in a couple weeks. I don't find any powder cleaner than an other for what I use it for. After 100s of rounds they all get dirty. IMHO this is one topic that is way over analyzed.... or maybe I haven't found any powders that are "really" clean.
[wink]

I use 6.5 grains of Unique behind a Berry's or Rainer 230 grain RN. I'm using CCI LP primers. My dies are RCBS but in the last position I have a Lee factory crimp die as I don't like to seat and crimp in the same station. I don't have the OAL at this time because I'm away from the bench. You can always mike a factory 230 grain ball round for a good ballpark starting length.

I don't find Unique any better or worse that other powders in the area of cleanliness. I clean the handguns about every two hundred rounds and have no problems with functioning.

I prefer Ramshot Zip for everything 45APC I reload. It's consistent, meters accurately, and it's clean.

5.2grs of W231 is what I've been using since I started reloading. It seems to be not only the most popular load here but also on S&W forum.

5.2grs of W231 is what I've been using since I started reloading. It seems to be not only the most popular load here but also on S&W forum.

That is what I have been doing also... I must admit I don't have the knowledge of other powders as this is the only powder I have been working with.

Does not seem to burn "much dirtier" then any other commercial ammo I have used.

W231 is a proven powder.

I use WST, however. It is newer, cleaner and - until the recent price increase - cheaper. They are now the same price.

I'm glad so many of you folks successfully use the 5.2gr of 231. I recently had my 1911 fail to lock back after the last round a few times... wasn't sure if it was too light of a load. I've used this load for well over a thousand rounds without issue before. I hope it was a fluke as I was thinking about bumping it up just a tad. I'll have to see how the other 1000 plus cartridges I already have made up do.

I started using WW 231 about 30 years ago on the recommendation of a friend. Since then I have experimented with about a dozen other powders and am back with 231 for all my non-magnum loadings. I have no problems with the powder residue and wouldn't call it "dirty".

5.2 gr behind a 200 gr bullet will make the IPSC major power factor in my six inch longslide, but I find that I need 5.4 gr to make major in my five inch guns.

WW 231 is a version of a powder formulated for commercial reloading. It is extremely consistent on the chrono.

4.2 of Hodgdon (normal) Clays
230 grn. jacketed bullet (usually Zero)
1.235 OAL (revolver- loads faster)
pretty decent crimp, removes edge to drop in cylinder faster.

Runs GREAT in my 625, and my 745 IPSC autoloader; Also in my brother's box-stock SW1911 (well, he's had a trigger job, but that's it); among others.

Easy to clean, 765+/- fps, major PF without banging yourself up too bad. Very voluminous powder, easy to see in the case.

Back
Top Bottom