Powderhorn Outfitters

Powderhorn

NES Member
Hello all,
My name is Greg and I am the Manager here at the Powderhorn Outfitters. I am writing to you all to tell you that I appreciate all of the feedback you have given the shop both good and bad. For all of those good reviews out there I appreciate your positive feedback and am happy that you had a great shopping experience. For all of the bad reviews I apologize on behalf of the shop for your bad experience. I hope to be able to change your outlook on the shop and make your next visit great also if you do indeed choose to give us another shot. If for some reason you do have a bad experience in the future please let me know and I will do everything I can to remedy the situation. Now most people to refer to me as the young kid in the shop and you are correct. I am 21 years old and have been working in the shop for close to 8 1/2 to 9 years now. My schedule is Monday through Saturday 9am to 5pm. Please feel free to contact me either at the shop email at [email protected] or via phone @ 15087758975. Now I know that most of the complaints on here and other places are against my boss Mark who is the owner. I am working closely with Mark to make sure these claims of rudeness and outbursts are minimized and eventually non existent. I hope to hear many more good reviews in the future and as I have said please feel free to contact me and I will get back to you as quickly as I can to remedy whatever problems you may have and get you whatever you need.
Thank you for your time and supporting the Second Amendment and our freedoms
Greg Coleman
Powderhorn Outfitters
molon-labe-snake.jpg

15087758975. Now I know that most of the complaints on here and other places are against my boss Mark who is the owner

I dont have a dog in this fight but it seems you might have isolated the problem with this statement above?
My boss/owner is not the most CustmerService savy person but does run the inside business well.... basically he is not allowed in the office so to speak.

I have always had a positive experience
at the Powderhorn.

Me not so much. I have always found them to have the most consistently unhelpful staff of any gun shop that I have been in. Although the last time I was in there someone did ask me if they could help me, I think the first time ever. They had a good price on 5.56 too. Amazing what some new competition just up the road will do.

Last edited:
Ackar,
I apologize that you did not have a good experience shopping in our store. If I could be of any assistance please let me know. I wanted to thank you for your reply and I will do everything in my power to make sure that this is rectified within the staff at the Powderhorn. As I said my name is Greg and if you choose to give us another shot I will make sure that I do everything I can to make your next stop in a pleasant experience. Again thank you for your response and I do apologize for your unpleasant shopping experience.
Greg
Powderhorn

Greg,
I applaud your efforts, you have your work cut out for you but you are young and challenges are a good thing. I have been a resident of the area for many years and have frequented your store during this period and purchased items from time to time. I have never purchased a firearm there as when I have been in the market and paid your store a visit my result was less than stellar, way less. In short I have found other shops that were much more helpful and will continue to support them. I'm sure I will stop in again at some point just to see if things have really changed. Good luck with your efforts.

Last edited:
I've always had a great experience at powderhorn. They were great when I had bought a Windham AR from another shop and needed it sent back due to a barrel issue. They handled all the steps and I didn't have any issues. I'll be back, and thank you for the great service

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ackar,
I just wanted to thank you again for your reply and hope to see you in here soon. next time you are in please introduce yourself so I can put a face with a screen name. id love to make sure the rest of your visits are as pleasant as possible. Dmiller27, I would also like to thank you for your reply. I am so very happy that you were pleased with your service and hope to see you in here again soon. Jrjr, we are still operating our bonded warehouse the same way that we always have fair and friendly.

As you can read here this is how our Bonded Warehouse is operated

You want some answers Lcstyle???

I've been patient with all of these false accusations about us being crooks/ and thieves with our bonded warehouse and that we are in cahoots with the local police departments. Well let me set the record straight. Yes we have a Bonded Warehouse here at the store. Yews we have fees for the storage of firearms. But please before you open your mouth badmouthing us please be sure to have all the facts. We get calls from local police departments that no longer have room to store care for firearms that have been seized for any reason. Mark works out a time when he can go down to pick up the firearms or the Police Dept. brings them to us. Once here they are cataloged and entered into our bonded warehouse where they are kept. Once they are entered we immediately send out a letter via certified mail letting the owner know that their firearms have been sent to us from the local P.D. for storage. Our Fee for pickup... $FREE. We charge a monthly fee of $10.00 a firearm. We do not charge for Ammo, Accessories, Black powder firearms or air rifles. If the owner of said firearms does not wish to pay the fees then he or she is also given other options. Included in the certified letter that we send out is the option for the owner to have the firearms transferred immediately to a family member or friend with a valid permit or they can choose to consign or sell the firearms to the Powderhorn and or send the firearms to auction. If the owner chooses to transfer the firearms and has a green light from the pd so that we can release them we are able to then transfer to whomever the customer chooses again as long as they have a valid permit. We do charge a fee for the time and paperwork involved in the transfer. If there is one firearm the fee is $40.00. If there are 2 or more firearms then the fee drops to $20.00 a firearm. That is how we run our Bonded Warehouse giving every possible chance we can for the customer to come out on top. If you still have issues with how we run things then please send me a personal message and we can try and straighten out our differences of opinion. And for anyone who has a bad experience with a bonded warehouse in the past I apologize and hope that no one thinks they were taken advantage of by our store.

Has the powderhorn closed its bonded warehouse yet?

Greg, can you explain the relationship between the Powderhorn and the Bonded Warehouse operation? The association of the gun shop with the legalized theft operation that is a bonded warehouse is why my dad and family drive past the Powderhorn on the way over the bridge to buy their firearms and accessories.

If a gun owner attempted to negotiate the price for getting his guns back, would you negotiate in good faith? Or are they screwed if the can't afford an arbitrary, unregulated ransom in an economic arrangement they did not freely enter into?

The bonded warehouse here at the Powderhorn is run to act as an overflow for the Police Departments who no longer wish to store or do not have any room to store firearms taken away from people who have either committed some sort of crime, had an R.O. taken out on them or for some other untold reason. We are not privy to details of the reasons why the Firearms are seized or taken. The Bonded warehouse acts under the FFL of the Powderhorn for the transfer of firearms back to the original owners or a relative or friend like stated above; with the written consent and ok from the Police Department. We are absolutely willing to negotiate with the gun owner if they come and speak with us. Like I also stated we give notice to the gun owner as soon as the firearms enter the bonded warehouse to let them know their options up front and always have worked with people to make sure they make out as best as they can. We are willing to negotiate on transfer fees and storage fees as long as the customer is in good standing with the fees owed if any at the time.

Rep308, We as explained above and numerous times before do not try and rob or thieve from anyone. we are up front and open about everything involved in the storage process and also as explained numerous times before we are simply an overflow for the PD's or used as on outlet to keep the firearms until the owner receives their license back or are okayed to transfer to a friend or relative with the PD's permission which we offer in the first letter sent to the gun owner when they arrive in our door.

I again would like to thank everyone for your posts and questions and will continue to answer your question the best and most efficient way I can.
thanks again and have a great day
Greg
Powderhorn

"We are willing to negotiate on transfer fees and storage fees as long as the customer is in good standing with the fees owed if any at the time."

That sentence does not make any sense to me. In good standing in what sense? You're still ransoming the guns for a price you unilaterally set, correct?

bill o,
What I am saying is that if when you receive a letter from us saying that we received your firearms from the Police Department and you contact us to talk about the fees we are willing to negotiate. We understand that some people whose guns we receive more than likely have done nothing wrong but got caught between a rock and a hard place. And yes we do have a standard fee. A fee that we deem acceptable for the time my employee has to take to make sure the firearms are logged, checked, stored, paperwork involved with the transfer from the police department and space used in our store to store such firearms where as they are not ruined nor neglected as they would be in a Police Station Basement or storage locker. I know that not everyone will see things the way we do and I understand that. Will we negotiate? Yes. Will we work with customer willing to work with us? yes. If you come in our store and present yourself like an a**hole when we are simply trying to do our jobs will we work with you? Yes but we wont be the friendliest bunch back to you. We are willing to help the people who ask and whether you believe me don't believe me or just don't want to do business with us that's fine. But what I am telling you is the truth and all we do is try to help people. Please let me know if you have any more questions
Greg

"We are willing to negotiate on transfer fees and storage fees as long as the customer is in good standing with the fees owed if any at the time."

That sentence does not make any sense to me. In good standing in what sense? You're still ransoming the guns for a price you unilaterally set, correct?

If you come in our store and present yourself like an a**hole when we are simply trying to do our jobs will we work with you? Yes but we wont be the friendliest bunch back to you.Greg

Customer relations in terms of "friendliness" hasn't exactly been the Powderhorn's strong suit over the past many years. I, too, applaud your efforts but suggest that you have a tall mountain to climb. Would the recent local competition be a compelling factor in this new public relations effort?

dustoff22, I want to thank you for post and yes I do realize that I have quite a mountain to climb. Most will probably think so but I have been working my butt off trying to get our store more internet friendly for years. I have been slowly trying to build up and maintain our website and internet presence with advertising but I have not always had the support of the company to do so. My boss is not a fan of technology most of the time and does a lot of things old school if you will. So yes some will credit our more recent internet presence to the new shop down the street but I can assure you that it is not whether you choose to believe me or not. As I stated in the opening post to this thread I realize that many people out their have had or have heard about a bad experience with my boss. But I am not my boss and will indeed do my absolute best to help you despite the terrible reputation that our store has on various sites including this one. I love what I do and care about the industry that I am in. So I will do whatever it takes to change this shop into what it needs to be to survive and prosper have better public relations. SO if you have any advice or recommendations I would love to hear them.

bill o, in what context exactly are you referring? have we wronged you personally in some way that you continue to try and nit pic our business and some of the services that we provide? If you have a problem with the bonded warehouse please feel free to personal message me here on the forum and we can discuss it further if there is anything more to discuss.

Again I would like to thank both for taking the time to reply to my posts and hope you both have great days.
Greg
Powderhorn

Last edited:
If that indeed be the case I apologize for my wrongful terminology. I should have used gun owner. Thank you for the claification

If that indeed be the case I apologize for my wrongful terminology. I should have used gun owner. Thank you for the claification

Nope, they're not gun owners anymore. The police have given you their guns for free, then you sell them on gunbroker if the (former) gun owner doesn't pay the arbitrary price you set. It's a great risk-free operation. I guess my only question is, how does one gain the favor of a police chief such that the chief sends your warehouse the free guns, as opposed to another warehouse? I bet Howie Carr could fill a few books with all those stories.

Can I ask where you are getting these wild accusations of us selling storage guns on gunbroker? Can you provide any proof of this? If you indeed can I would love to see it. As I quoted earlier in this thread our procedures in the bonded warehouse I do not recall once saying that we sell storage guns on gun broker. If we do not hear from owner of firearms after two years of non payment we then by law are allowed to send firearms to auction to make up any cost owed. We are legally not allowed to sell in state unless purchased from former owner; Which is one of the options we offer the former owner during the first communications we put out to the firearms owner.

So again I will post our procedure on the Bonded Warehouse.

You want some answers Lcstyle???

I've been patient with all of these false accusations about us being crooks/ and thieves with our bonded warehouse and that we are in cahoots with the local police departments. Well let me set the record straight. Yes we have a Bonded Warehouse here at the store. Yews we have fees for the storage of firearms. But please before you open your mouth badmouthing us please be sure to have all the facts. We get calls from local police departments that no longer have room to store care for firearms that have been seized for any reason. Mark works out a time when he can go down to pick up the firearms or the Police Dept. brings them to us. Once here they are cataloged and entered into our bonded warehouse where they are kept. Once they are entered we immediately send out a letter via certified mail letting the owner know that their firearms have been sent to us from the local P.D. for storage. Our Fee for pickup... $FREE. We charge a monthly fee of $10.00 a firearm. We do not charge for Ammo, Accessories, Black powder firearms or air rifles. If the owner of said firearms does not wish to pay the fees then he or she is also given other options. Included in the certified letter that we send out is the option for the owner to have the firearms transferred immediately to a family member or friend with a valid permit or they can choose to consign or sell the firearms to the Powderhorn and or send the firearms to auction. If the owner chooses to transfer the firearms and has a green light from the pd so that we can release them we are able to then transfer to whomever the customer chooses again as long as they have a valid permit. We do charge a fee for the time and paperwork involved in the transfer. If there is one firearm the fee is $40.00. If there are 2 or more firearms then the fee drops to $20.00 a firearm. That is how we run our Bonded Warehouse giving every possible chance we can for the customer to come out on top. If you still have issues with how we run things then please send me a personal message and we can try and straighten out our differences of opinion. And for anyone who has a bad experience with a bonded warehouse in the past I apologize and hope that no one thinks they were taken advantage of by our store.

bill o, If we did indeed sell you a defective part we would have absolutely returned it. No those are not Chip McCormick mags and I apologize that either a customer or employee swapped packaging whether it was on purpose or by accident. If you did indeed let us know of this mishap we would have done right by you. I cant say that I know how the mixup occurred but I will absolutely do my best to make sure it never happens again.

Why would you even want to be a bonded warehouse? The ideology of it would seem to fly in the face of anyone that supports the 2nd ammendment.

With all due respect I do not have an answer to that question that is going to satisfy what you guys are looking for as an answer. I don't believe that anything I say will be able to change your minds on the Bonded Warehouse issue here and so I will say this. Yes we are a bonded warehouse. Yes people dislike us because of this... clearly. But to simply continuing to pick apart my business over a bonded warehouse that has done a lot of good for a lot of good people who were simply caught in a sucky situation; and helped out numerous others who had their firearms taken away by the POLICE!!!!! Not by us but by the POLICE!!!!! for some reason or another whether they deserved it or not it a situation that we have no control over. If you want to fight the bonded warehouses why not take your fight the police chief instead of a local shop trying to help people out. Fight the chiefs, the departments, the state, make your names heard beyond the security of your own house behind a computer and a screen name where you can act like a big shot. WE ARE SIMPLY TRYING TO HELP!!!! What about this is so difficult to understand??? Like I said before you don't have to store your guns here. As I stated you can transfer the guns to a relative, neighbor, friend as soon as we get them in the warehouse as long as the Police Department says its ok. All we do is store the guns in a secure section of our store to make sure they are cared for better than they would be in the corner of a basement in a Police station. If that makes us criminals and thieves so be it. But can we please move on from this. I have nothing else to say because ive already told how we operate numerous times in separate sections of this forum.

Why would you even want to be a bonded warehouse? The ideology of it would seem to fly in the face of anyone that supports the 2nd ammendment.

Bonded warehouses are going to exist with or without Powderhorn. Sounds like Powderhorn is trying to do the right thing for anyone jammed up. If you can't communicate with them in 2 years then you obviously don't care too much about your property. I will likely never hike down to the shop based on the location so I have no dog in the fight.

I think GOAL or a similar not for profit pro 2A should start a bonded warehouse. I do understand why these exist (though I do not agree).

As for the Powderhorn, once they were incredibly nice, the next time I was ignored and I was happy to be ignored as I hate being assaulted by sales people [grin]

Thank you mike and chris for your posts. If we can be of any more help to anyone please let us know.

Back
Top Bottom