powderhorn .223 news

not sure if this thread belongs here but here we go.

i realize there is a sizeable contingent of men-at-arms here who are somewhat hostile to exchanging goods and services involving powderhorn in hyannis. at any rate, they're the closest location to me and i've made myself a regular customer for ammo.

well i stopped by there monday morning after a trip to the RMV and they're out. you can get wolf (bleh), you can get some ridiculous $12 box of "green" ammo (double bleh), or you can buy federal american eagle in 1000rnd count for something like $380ish. they won't break 'em up. they're also out of 30s and 20s for ARs.

change has come to america, i guess.

Just got off the phone with them, they do indeed have 1000-round bulk packs of .223 in-stock for $389. They close at 5 though, so there's no way I can get out of work early enough to make the drive down there. Anyone in the area feel like doin' me a solid? [smile]

If you're in NH or some other state that doesn't suck, I recently saw 1000 rounds of PMC M-193 Spec for $359 at a certain online vendor. I also saw Centurion Military Contract 55gr. FMJ for $339. I have no idea how good or bad the Centurion is.

Ah, the good old days when I bought 1000 rnd lots of nice reloadable S&B .223 from Cheaper Than Dirt for just under 15 cents a round. Those were the days my friend.

Everyone alway bitches about the Powderhorn on here. Yeah, some of his prices are a little higher than the guys off cape, but almost EVERYTHING is a little cheaper off cape. There's no other gun shops I can go to on my lunch break damn it!

Everyone alway bitches about the Powderhorn on here. Yeah, some of his prices are a little higher than the guys off cape, but almost EVERYTHING is a little cheaper off cape. There's no other gun shops I can go to on my lunch break damn it!

$10/box of 20 for 7.62x39? That's a lot more than a bridge tax.

Same as you though, I go in there just because it's nearby.

If you're in NH or some other state that doesn't suck, I recently saw 1000 rounds of PMC M-193 Spec for $359 at a certain online vendor. I also saw Centurion Military Contract 55gr. FMJ for $339. I have no idea how good or bad the Centurion is.

I have not had good experiences with Centurion. Some of it is reloads and the "Military Contract" is made in Mexico...In one batch I got, it looked as if reloads were mixed in with military contract...Ah Mexico...

I have not had good experiences with Centurion. Some of it is reloads and the "Military Contract" is made in Mexico...In one batch I got, it looked as if reloads were mixed in with military contract...Ah Mexico...

Thanks Mark. That's good info and it's not worth saving a few bucks over the PMC.

Everyone alway bitches about the Powderhorn on here.

yeah, that's the impression i got while searching to see if anyone had mentioned this 1000/$389 phenomenon. i think the place is fine, people are good. and, seems like a fine price for the cape: midway usa is advertising 200 for $80 (0.40/rnd) and that's "on sale."

but! i know i'm not the only one that goes in there to buy 100 rounds at a time, knowing that i'm paying a premium for having broken up a 1000-round box. obviously there must be demand.

so the fact that they're straight-up unable to break up 1000-round boxes nearly one full year after the Great Gun Rush began says something to me about the state of the union.

also people don't take kindly to "ammo hoarding" in the people's democratic republic of commonwealthachusetts. i hesitate to put money down for that much at once.

This ammo is packaged loose 1000 rds in a plastic bag. they cant really offer it in smaller quantities.

I've never seen factory ammo "packaged loose 1000 rds in a plastic bag." Real Federal comes in cartons, although it is loose in a heavy plastic bag IN the carton.

$10/box of 20 for 7.62x39? That's a lot more than a bridge tax.

Same as you though, I go in there just because it's nearby.

OK, that's a little much (I've seen the price there go from $5-7-9 in the last two years!) but seriously, where else could I buy it around here? I know there's a small hunting-oriented shop in Falmouth and the Goose' in Orleans but I don't even know if they're any cheaper or would have it. I don't mind going off Cape, but I'm not spending fifteen bucks on gas to save five bucks on ammo.

Back
Top Bottom